General [M]ayhem

General [M]ayhem (http://www.genmay.com/index.php)
-   CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet (http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Wireless Card f*ckery (http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=848739)

gwiber 11-04-2015 11:00 AM

Wireless Card f*ckery

Yesterday. I get back to my PC, tap the keyboard to wake it up, and my internet is gone. Happens, usually reboot or restart the modem (yay Comcast), and the issue goes away.

Not so this time.

Reboot and I am now getting an icon that says connect via ethernet, and no mention anywhere of a Wireless card even in my machine. I do some searching online,f ind that it could be a windows update that tends to monkey with the settings, a few hard reboots and it will likely comeback.

So I try that, hoping. Nothing. My assumption at this point becomes it's the wireless card and I have to remove it/replace it.

I have another machine with a wireless card in it that sees almost no use. So I pull the card out of the machine. and replace it with the other one.

Works like a dream, and I make a mental note to pick up a new card later on as a back up.

Today I am web surfing. Pull up a few tabs, then close all but one, and turn away to talk to a family member. Turn back, not a minute later, and its telling me I have a internet connection problem. 30 seconds later, my wireless signal vanishes, and then the "connect via ethernet" icon pops back up, the wireless card is just, gone; as far as the computer is concerned.

I know damn good and well I didn't just destroy a second wireless card, it was working fine without a hitch not a minute or so before this happened.

Does anyone have any ideas WTF is going on? What I should do to try and circumvent/repair this?

I can hook to ethernet temporarily. but its not a long term solution as the cable modem is in the most trafficked part of the house and my machine is in my room 30 some odd feet away, several rooms over.

pyramid 11-04-2015 11:19 AM

Does the card show up in device manager?

gwiber 11-04-2015 11:40 AM

It did not yesterday, for some reason.

I can't tell you if the new one does just at this moment, I am mid-system restore back to about a week ago.

gwiber 11-04-2015 12:52 PM

System restore was no help, and I cannot find the card anywhere in the device manager.

I now this card works. I just can't figure out whats going on now.

gwiber 11-04-2015 01:04 PM

I was going to try a suggestion to reboot with with networking, see if I could work around things and do more diagnosing.

But, "Oh no, fuck you dude!", every time I push F8 during boot it opens a small menu that says "Please select boot device: SATA drive, generic multi-card, SATA SM: ST2000DL003-9VT166, and Enter set up."

No option for any kind of safe mode.

Giving it the two SATA Options it boots up as normal. still no network card.

gwiber 11-04-2015 01:05 PM

DBL POST

gwiber 11-04-2015 01:48 PM

Okay this is serious fuckery.

I shut the machine down. puled the card, and rebooted without it.

Then shut down. put the card BACK IN, rebooted, and it works now.

Im betting in less than 24 hours it will shut off again!

pyramid 11-04-2015 03:43 PM

That is fucking weird.

ytzombe 11-04-2015 05:42 PM

See if you have a wireless card switch. Sometimes laptops will jsut remove the device if you shut it to off.

gwiber 11-04-2015 07:04 PM

This is on a desktop, my laptop works great.

My laptop is fine for web surfing, but I need my desktop to do anything graphics intensive at all

MonkeyzOwn 11-04-2015 08:22 PM

Shens

lol 11-04-2015 10:59 PM

install gentoo

Apsalus 11-05-2015 03:27 AM

[QUOTE=MonkeyzOwn;25509214]Shens[/QUOTE]josegarcias

gwiber 11-05-2015 01:41 PM

I formatted the HD and reinstalled Win7.

10.5 hours and 213 updates later. I'm on to Win10, and the system is working fine now more than 24 hours later.

Only think I can figure is it might have been a virus of some sort.

But I haven't been web surfing anywhere odd recently, in months actually.

RazorWind 11-05-2015 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=gwiber;25509237]I formatted the HD and reinstalled Win7.

10.5 hours and 213 updates later. I'm on to Win10, and the system is working fine now more than 24 hours later.

Only think I can figure is it might have been a virus of some sort.

But I haven't been web surfing anywhere odd recently, in months actually.[/QUOTE]

Could it be a flaky PCI Express slot on the motherboard?