View Single Post
seiferguy

CPU choices:
- Intel C2D E6750 or if you want to go a bit higher end, C2Q Q6600. I run the C2Q right now. The developers of Alan Wake said they plan to utilize the shit out of Quad-Core technology, so if the game ever comes out, it's something to keep in mind.

RAM:
2x2GB DDR2 800 RAM. When I bought my computer back in October, this stuff was was $160, now it's $85 (without the current sale, $10 off).

Mobo:
I currently run the Intel LGA 775 board. It works well, I have no idea why that reviewer said there were only 2 SATA ports. It's got 4. Only real downside is that it takes a long-ass time to boot.

Case:
If you want to go a little overboard, I got the Antec Sonata III. This thing is sleek, and it's quieter than the PS3. I turned it on, and was like "Holy shit this is quiet." Granted, you can lower the standards there a bit and get something a little louder if you don't mind it.

DVD Burner: This one. Quiet, reliable, and everyone else seems to like it. Burns whatever you throw at it.

Video Card:
8800GT is hot shit right now. I went cheap on my video card, which I kind of regret, and got a 2600XT, it crashes occasionally on Vista, and I haven't been too happy with it. Either way, For an 8800GT, you'll spend somewhere between $250-$300 on newegg.

With all of these components, you've $874 totaled up (that's choosing the C2Q over the C2D). That's $125 to put into whatever SATA HDD that you want. My roommate claims to make Vista work the best, you should install it on a Raptor 10,000 RPM HDD, then have a 7200 RPM drive that compliments it. Personally, I run Vista on a 7200 RPM drive, and it's been fine. The only thing that's really slow for me is iTunes x64.

Last edited by seiferguy; 02-16-2008 at 09:52 AM..