View Single Post
Enygma

Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN (almost entirely Minneapolis...) in no particular order:

Really expensive

La Belle Vie
Really really fantastic food here. James beard award winner, french food at its best

Manny's Steakhouse
go for the dinner and you will have significantly more than you can eat of some of the best steakhouse food you've ever had.

Moderately expensive

Heidi's Minneapolis
Relatively new restaurant and after my first visit it was immediately one of my favorites. Truly fantastic food at great prices. It's tiny, however, so reservations are an absolute must. The menu rotates about once a season, but I highly recommend the vegetarian "bolognese", and the 1776 lamb, and if they ever bring back the pheasant you have to get it. Hard to put the style in a box, he takes influences from all over the place and just makes delicious food.

Cafe Barbette
great place to go for a bottle of wine and some classic french cuisine. they've got a really nice happy hour. to be frank I rarely go except after 10 for the mussels, frites and a bottle of belgian beer.

Saffron
Amazing Mediterranean and middle eastern cuisine. Also relatively new, but not to be missed. The happy hour deals are noteworthy as well.

Solera
Fantastic spanish cuisine at a great location downtown. I always get the tasting menu, and it's never done me wrong. They've got a lovely bar on the roof for some drinks and apps as well.

Broder's Pasta Bar
For good and hearty italian you pretty much can't beat it. Great pasta, hell pretty much everything is great, including the atmosphere and service.

Amore Victoria
Similar to Broder's in a lot of respects. really big menu, and sometimes they have some really good happy hour specials.

Figlio
Trendy spot with decent happy hour. Italian food. To be frank, you'd generally be better off at the two aforementioned italian spots unless you're looking for something in particular. Still, i don't want to disparage the food, it's quite tasty.

Tacos Morelos
Not quite cheap, but cheaper than the rest here. Best tex mex in town. Go here for enchiladas.

Pizza Nea
Best pizza in town. no delivery, just fantastic neapolitan pizza. I highly recommend the rucola (red), or if you're not feeling like arugula (it's good enough for obama!) go for the capricciosa. but then again, i'm an absolute prosciutto fiend.

cheap
Los Ocampo
Go here for fantastic authentic mexican food. I'm not talking enchiladas, i'm talking real authentic mexican food. Imagine you're out late in Puebla and drunk and you see a guy on the side of the road slinging some gorditas. Now move that guy to minneapolis. I always seem to get the gorditas or tlacoyo. Make sure you get the green avacado sauce. it's super spicy (sometimes, seems to vary), but even more delicious.

Abu Nader (st paul)
Great middle eastern fare. I always get the shawarma special, which includes half a shawarma, some hummus and pita, a piece of baklava and a drink for 8.50. a steal. also, the baba ghanoush is the best around, smoky and delicious.

Quang
Anthony Bourdain says minneapolis has the best vietnamese food in the country, and quang has the best pho. enough said.

Pho '79 (minneapolis and st paul)
I always go to the one in st paul for lunch during work. delicious and cheap.

pubs
Town Hall Brewery
Go here. I can't stress it enough, go here. The masala mama is one of the best IPAs you'll ever have in your life and they always have an interesting array of seasonals on tap. The food is quite good pub fare as well.

Bulldog (northeast and uptown)
Great burgers, good tap list and atmosphere, what more can you ask for?

C.C. Club
You won't find a better dive bar in town. Unless you go to the country bar. But if you're looking for a place that manages to bridge the gap between hipsters and everyone else and still feel like a great dive bar while serving cheap ass beer (always get the pitcher of the month...), you won't do better.

The Country Bar
You're gonna smell like chicken. The first time i went there, a couple of passing women told me that, and the observation couldn't be more astute. the entire place smells like fried chicken, but it has quite cheap beer and i'm pretty sure karaoke all the time. at least i've never been there without karaoke.

Liquor Lyle's
Some people say it's a dive bar. I guess it is, kinda. But it's not that divey, certainly pales in comparison to the first two bars. But the drinks are cheap and strong. Show up between 9 and 11 every night and get 2 for 1s on everything. did i say they poured their drinks strong?

well, there you go. some of my favorite places. probably forgot some...

More Minneapolis, MN from aengre
Fogo de Chão - http://www.fogodechao.com/index.htm
Manny's Steakhouse - http://www.mannyssteakhouse.com/
20.21 - http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaura...olis/index.php
Origami - http://www.origamirestaurant.com/
La Belle Vie - http://www.labellevie.us/

this sig for sale, PM for details.

Last edited by TheRequiem; 02-09-2009 at 11:43 AM..