General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

flshdncr
brkdncr
I want to hang out with all the boys ;)

connect directly to the modem to rule out the router.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

thear

Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeos View Post
the way i read it his cable modem is losing sync when using bt, maybe i misinterpreted.

Doubtful. Most people just assume its the cable modem. ( I do cable modem tech support... blech ) If the modem does in fact lose sync, then thats a whole different issue, and can only be caused by bit torrent if its pushing MAD bandwidth ( enough to cause t3 and t4 timeouts to occur )

ben416

I'm on Roadrunner too, as well as a friend of mine. We both had BT locking up our connections. He had a Netgear WGR614 and I had an SMC7004ABR. We both got new, well reviewed routers, him a Netgear Dual Band WNDR3300 and me an Apple Airport Extreme (gigabit). Both routers which cost over $120. The lesson we learned is that about 1/10 consumer routers are actually half-decent especially when bought at Best Buy. Bittorrent has not caused any trouble for either of us so far now. I also found 5GHz mode seems to be a lot more stable, but thats probably because everyone else around here uses only 2.4GHz.

Xarathatin
good bye, halcyon days

I had the same problem with BTT literally bringing down our DSL connection randomly. I also had a problem when in a game like UT2K4 and refreshing the server list, it would immediately disrupt the connection. I would have to power cycle the modem or it would not work. I got a business class modem from ATT (bellsouth at the time) and I have yet to have a problem.

Viperoni

Agreed on the router being the issue. I can't have more than ~50 max connections in BT before the router starts freezing up, but at 50, im fine for months.

ryokurin

Limit your connections to under 200. If you are going to do other things you may want to try even lower. Most people make the mistake of trying to max out their possible connections when using bit torrent and that just eats memory on routers causing them to fail. Your router is probably not crashing, but getting bogged down trying to determine the best route, and you resetting the modem is clearing that up.

neo_cloud_99

I had the same problem with the crappy cable modem from Cox. I bought one of the Motorola Surfboards and haven't had a problem since.

Mr. Baz

I recently talked to a few Comcast guys and they said that they will actually cut your service (modem loses sync) on purpose when they notice huge amounts of constant connections/traffic through BT. It's something automatic that can happen, and it sounds like this is your problem.

Either that or you have a crappy router.

anomaly95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baz View Post
I recently talked to a few Comcast guys and they said that they will actually cut your service (modem loses sync) on purpose when they notice huge amounts of constant connections/traffic through BT. It's something automatic that can happen, and it sounds like this is your problem.

Either that or you have a crappy router.

Not exactly. This explains what's happening in detail.

Colonel Sanders

Is there a way to limit connections in uTorrent?

zeos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post

options->general or options->bittorrent don't remember exactly

BBnet3000
<ABlix> I WANTED TO BE WITH HER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
options> connections i think

KorrMuraan

peerguardian too

for.. um... no reason
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

ryokurin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorrMuraan View Post
peerguardian too

for.. um... no reason

That can actually make the problem worse depending on the client. People used to complain about Azureus eating a bunch of CPU time for instance. The only time it did was when you used programs like peerguardian or netlimiter to shape the traffic. The reason was because of the same things said before, all the connections caused abnormally large route tables. In Azureus's case plugins worked better as it eventually just start to ignore most of the info. utorrent is similar but its harder to see the issue, and just like here usually the router breaks before it really bogs things down.

Even if you have a router that can take it, there really isn't a reason to have a ton of connections open. Yes you may be connected to a bunch more people but after a while is so much info its not helping your speed at all.