General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
2? if that

imagine someone in a theater laughing at a funny scene 2 seconds before everyone else, or jumping at something 3 seconds after it happens.

Seems like more aggressive buffering would solve that. The playback rate should be the same at each end, as long as the content can be streamed fast enough.

Does VLC do something like this? It has a bunch of network-oriented features that I've never messed with. I could totally imagine something like that being among them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Seems like more aggressive buffering would solve that. The playback rate should be the same at each end, as long as the content can be streamed fast enough.

Does VLC do something like this? It has a bunch of network-oriented features that I've never messed with. I could totally imagine something like that being among them.
you know, ive never streamed with vlc, but ive always heard real good things.

Fapling, feel free to bitchslap me here if im hijacking your thread too much.

Im looking for a more robust solution. Right now i use orb.com. It essentially turns the videos on your pc into an on demand video service, with a nice browser, and unattended playing. Think of it like youtube, but with your own videos. I use it to share my stuff with family and friends. They can browse through my files, pick one, watch it on whatever device theyre on, etc.

No interaction needed on my part (like specifically starting a stream with VLC) and a nice directory of info too.

Unfortunately orb isnt great at transcoding, and it seems the only other option ive found is TVersity, which i, in multiple attempts, have never gotten to work right

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
you know, ive never streamed with vlc, but ive always heard real good things.

Fapling, feel free to bitchslap me here if im hijacking your thread too much.

Im looking for a more robust solution. Right now i use orb.com. It essentially turns the videos on your pc into an on demand video service, with a nice browser, and unattended playing. Think of it like youtube, but with your own videos. I use it to share my stuff with family and friends. They can browse through my files, pick one, watch it on whatever device theyre on, etc.

No interaction needed on my part (like specifically starting a stream with VLC) and a nice directory of info too.

Unfortunately orb isnt great at transcoding, and it seems the only other option ive found is TVersity, which i, in multiple attempts, have never gotten to work right
Would a solution where you pre-share the file ahead of playback work for you?

I bet I could write something that would work, but it would have to rely on all clients already having the complete video file prior the the start of playback. This isn't to say that it couldn't conceivably transfer the file from the server to the clients when they connect. Just that, to work reliably, it wouldn't be capable of streaming.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Would a solution where you pre-share the file ahead of playback work for you?

I bet I could write something that would work, but it would have to rely on all clients already having the complete video file prior the the start of playback. This isn't to say that it couldn't conceivably transfer the file from the server to the clients when they connect. Just that, to work reliably, it wouldn't be capable of streaming.
nah, thatd be easy. A lot of my users are low bandwidth, low storage people. Needs to stream

Thanks though

Time2Kill

tl;dr

If you are using Microsoft Windows, SyncToy by Microsoft is AWESOME for syncing files/directories between multiple computers and keeps track of all files that move, get renamed, deleted etc and prevents duplicates and messy stuff from happening. And its free

ninboy57

Move in together, share a server. Lol.
Alternative would be to have one download and setup a streaming server that the other grabs from? Could even do it to an ipad using air video.
.......v
"Maybe all the hot would-be lesbians get addicted to cock early in life." -

Jehannum

Quote:
Task Scheduler is the equivalent to cron on windows. Basically, you'd write a little script to copy files from your machine to hers every day at a given time, and set it up to run at that time with the task scheduler.

The way I would do this is:

1. On my machine, set up an FTP server, with the root being the root of my media dir.
1.5 Forward the appropriate ports at my router to that machine.
2. Write a little C# program that connects to my FTP, and checks the contents of a local folder, recursively, against the contents of the remote FTP program. Copy files as appropriate. You could concievably also do this in reverse, where if she adds something, you get it too.
3. Install said program on girlfriend's computer.
4. Use the task scheduler to run said program on girlfriend's computer every day at 1AM.

Wow, that's a lot of work to get what crontab and rsync do out of the box.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.