General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Artesial

Yeah it's a great video I checked out a while back and maybe I need a refresher on it. I tried to incorporate a lot of what the video said but working out by myself I couldn't get immediate feedback if what I was doing was correct or not. I'll try to work on the leg drive and tighter shoulder blades and take another couple of videos for you guys so you can tell me if I'm improving.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mainbrotha

Just to get the feel of leg drive, just lay down flat on the bench and put your heels on the floor. Push through your heels so you're sliding backwards on the bench. That's what leg drive is. Now, doing it so you're not actually sliding back on the bench is the key to doing it correctly.

The Dave Tate video is great...but it's too bad I can't find the one I saw a month or so back. It was a female champion bencher (who actually didn't look scary!) who was explaining it, and I thought, well.

Artesial

Bench pressed again and tried to implement leg drive more and pinching my shoulder blades together to push my back out more. I tried to push my chest out more but it was really hard, I don't know why I can't push it out further. I felt the leg drive did a decent amount for explosion but let me know what you guys think, also I intentionally paused for 1 second on the last rep, I probably had another 3 reps in me so I can feel a difference already!

I noticed I'm sort of arching the bar backwards when pushing up and probably need to be more straight up and down, I'll work on that next time. Anything else you guys can recommend? I'm appreciating all the tips. Seeing improvements since last time?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

mainbrotha

The bar path is naturally going to move backwards a bit due to body mechanics. I think the biggest thing is to focus on bringing your lats together if they aren't already as the bar comes down. That should help give you cues to getting a tight arch and upper back.

Artesial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbrotha View Post
The bar path is naturally going to move backwards a bit due to body mechanics. I think the biggest thing is to focus on bringing your lats together if they aren't already as the bar comes down. That should help give you cues to getting a tight arch and upper back.

I tried to squeeze my shoulder blades as tight as I could last night but I'll take a video directly from the side last time (couldn't find my stand last night) and show you, but that will have to wait a week!

How did my leg drive look?

mainbrotha

You definitely got some good pop from the bottom position. I was surprised to see your toes on the floor. But if it works for you, then don't fix it!

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

It looks like you have way too much of an arch in your lower back. You want an arch, but you don't want to exaggerate it. Don't let leg drive lift your ass and lower back way up off the bench. Just have your feet firmly planted on the ground and pinch your shoulder blades together. You'll know if your shoulder blades aren't pinched because your shoulders will come forward at lockout.

I think if your shins were verticle it would drop your lower back into a more natural position. It looks like you have your feet pulled back behind your knees and it's causing a really high arch.

Artesial

Unfortunately I can't place my heels on the ground with the height of the bench it's a bit taller than my legs, I have a shorter one along the way but until then I have to work with what I got.

g|aSsJaw

Oh okay, that makes sense.

Artesial

Deadlifted today and really focused on getting a little lower with a more upright/tighter back and I think it really worked, almost all pulls came up good with the exception of my fourth rep of the last set where my grip came loose. Also you'll notice on the last rep of the last set I tried to walk the weight onto the clamps which I quickly realized 325lbs isn't the easiest thing to walk Also I've tried to be more explosive coming up and I really think it helped, felt pretty strong today.

Working sets in videos were 245x5, 285x5, and finished with 325x5. I think my form is pretty good on deadlifts but let me know if you guys see anything that should be worked on.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Artesial

Another day of overhead presses, felt pretty strong again today. I've been aiming for at least 8 hours of sleep a night and eating better so I think it's paying off well with my lifts.

Ended with 140lbsx5. I'm trying to really keep my elbows tucked in and wrists straight and it looks like I completely forgot to keep my wrists straight, next time I'll get it.
+ YouTube Video

mainbrotha

I took a squat video of my last set yesterday. Meant to transfer it from my iphone to my computer, but I'll get around to that later. Only 200lbs, right now, but I'm steadily moving the weight up.

g|aSsJaw

Your deadlifts look really good, bar path is straight up and down on every rep.

I have the same problem with my wrists on the press. The only thing that might help, if you want to wear them, is some good wrist wraps.

Artesial

Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
Your deadlifts look really good, bar path is straight up and down on every rep.

I have the same problem with my wrists on the press. The only thing that might help, if you want to wear them, is some good wrist wraps.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something on deadlifts.
I love sumo stance and really think it works well with my build.

I've considered but I don't feel any pain or irritation so until I do I'll keep trying to straighten my wrists.

mainbrotha

Here's the vid...how's my depth, brah?

http://youtu.be/wA_rov8qwiw