General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Photography and I[M]aging
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

mekilljoydammit
[H]Cars refugee and rotary whore at large

What to get v. RF

Okay, new job started... need to pay off some stuff and really I have better stuff to spend my money on, but I have the itch. So here's sort of what I'm looking at.

Jupiter 3; Soviet clone of the Zeiss Sonnar 50f1.5 lens. Focusing can be inconsistent on actual Leica bodies since they're designed to a very slightly different spec than the Soviet Leicaclones, but given I'm shooting a Soviet Leicaclone, who gives a damn. Great lens, and I love what the f2.0 version I have does.

Yashica Electro CC; fixed lens rangefinder with aperture priority and metering. Very small package, pretty good 35f1.8 lens, and aperture priority, as opposed to the Zorki that doesn't even have a meter. But I do like the Zorki.

Or I can just keep using what I have and save up for a Konica Hexar RF or something, which is even more automated, and can take the horde of excellent Leica M mount lenses, including the new Zeiss Sonnars, or the Planar/Summicron for classical sharpness and such... but that way lies megabucks, while the other alternatives are less than two hundred.

Blah blah blah, digital; I have a D5100, I like it for shooting stuff that moves around a lot, but not for walking around sort of shooting.

Thoughts? Has anyone even *heard* of anything I mentioned up there?

“We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Driving: A nice practical sedate car... '03 WRX
Shooting: Canon P, Zorki 6, Nikon D5100, 1911, FAL

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

someone else

I'd keep saving - you'd probably enjoy the Konica more once you get it. I've heard nothing but good things about the Konica.

I'm unfamiliar with the Jupiter 3 in specifics, but is it any sharper than the f/2 sibling, or is it just faster? I don't see the speed being worth it, unless you shoot a ton of low light, and then without a meter you're just guessing anyways.

The Electro might be fun though. Why not go with one of the other, cheaper electros? why the CC? Again, I'm not familiar with specifics, but I am familiar with the camera. I don't really know rangefinders, never really been my thing other than the medium format stuff.

I'd steer you in a totally different direction. I just got a Rolleiflex, my first TLR, and I have fallen in love. TLR's are so different... I quite enjoy it.

Or, you could get yourself all set up for home black and white developing (NOT printing) for under $150 and you wouldn't need a dedicated dark room.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

mekilljoydammit

The J3 is interesting... from looking at photos it's possibly a bit sharper, but also does neater things with bokeh. Necessary, certainly not, but it's just sort of more of what I'm liking about the current one.

The other Electros are 45f something. Not a huge difference but I think the 35 might be fun. Also the CC takes non-mercury batteries.

Home developing is kind of a nogo in an apartment. Haven't done much with B&W yet; kind of fell for Velvia, which the fast lens helps.

Problem with the Hexar really is the cost... I mean, over a grand for a body and lens would be fun invested in cars...

“We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
The J3 is interesting... from looking at photos it's possibly a bit sharper, but also does neater things with bokeh. Necessary, certainly not, but it's just sort of more of what I'm liking about the current one.

The other Electros are 45f something. Not a huge difference but I think the 35 might be fun. Also the CC takes non-mercury batteries.

Home developing is kind of a nogo in an apartment. Haven't done much with B&W yet; kind of fell for Velvia, which the fast lens helps.

Problem with the Hexar really is the cost... I mean, over a grand for a body and lens would be fun invested in cars...

Oh ok, I was going off of Electro 35 something would mean its 35mm... Shows me right.

And home dev is super easy anywhere; all you need is the chemicals, a changing bag, and a the development tank. It can all be done in the bathroom, or kitchen, with nothing set up. Printing requires a darkroom and a whole other bunch of shit.

Velvia is AMAZING. I can't wait to run a roll through my Rollei. 6cmx6cm slides? boner.

I hear you on the Hexar - I haven't bought anything big as far as cameras go as I've been putting money into the Trans Am.

I'd still recommend you start doing some home dev. Aside from that, maybe buy the J3, sell the old Jupiter, and maybe have some other money to put towards the konica?
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

mekilljoydammit

Well, it's 35mm film. And I think I may have to have a think about home developing... looked at what the Fuji 3200 stuff puts out and it looks interesting.

Think in a way I have talked myself into a J3 at some point... going to try to wait for a really good one to show up though. Pre-54 they still were using up stockpiles of Zeiss glass. Not that the Soviet glass wasn't also great, but it would be neat to find one.

shockway

Discussion

I newly join this forum. I found this forum very interesting and informative. I like it.

methd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockway View Post
I newly join this forum. I found this forum very interesting and informative. I like it.

it used to be awesome a few years ago. really quiet now.

www.lumensphotography.com

mekilljoydammit

You know, thinking of medium format, I came across this guy: http://fedka.com/catalog/product_inf...roducts_id=303

6x9 medium format folder with a rangefinder built in, and a coated Tessar clone. Hmmm.

someone else

Hmm. I didn't know the russians stole the Ikonta too. Those are nifty little cameras. If you like velvia now, wait until you see it 6x9....
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

mekilljoydammit

I wouldn't post this except I don't have the cash right now so what the fuck... so... mmmm. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZORKI-ZK-1-5...8&cmd=ViewItem 1950 means it's still Zeiss glass for sure, good condition, etc. Bit of a price premium though.

mekilljoydammit

Just as a bit of an update, decided to go an entirely different route entirely. Have a Canon P inbound, which is a Leica screw mount rangefinder intended as a competitor to the Leica M2. 1:1 magnification viewfinder, parralax corrected frame lines, speeds from 1-1/1000 second, exceptional build quality (not Leica M3 exceptional, but probably better than anything newer than the M4) and pretty inexpensive. Also looking at lenses; throwing the Canon 50f1.5 rangefinder lens into the mix for consideration as it's another Sonnar clone, but with better coatings, click stops, and a lot better build consistency than the Russky clones. But that's going to have to wait for me to find a reasonably priced example... so might end up with a Jupiter 3 anyway. Or maybe not!

Another option is the Nikkor 50f1.4 for the Leica screw mount. A recomputed Sonnar clone and optimized differently than the others... and also it would be kind of hilarious to have a completely unmodified Nikkor lens mounted on a completely unmodified Canon body. But the Nikkor Sonnars tend to be a bit spendy.

Pics of the Canon when it comes. Should be Thursday.

mekilljoydammit

Canon's here... yeesh, when KEH calls something excellent condition, they don't screw around. Pics of the thing to follow when I get around to it.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
Canon's here... yeesh, when KEH calls something excellent condition, they don't screw around. Pics of the thing to follow when I get around to it.

Seriously. I bought a Canon KISS X2 (same as the ~2008 Rebel somethingorother) last week, which they described as "excellent +."

Other than the image numbers didn't start with zero, I can't tell that it's not new.

mekilljoydammit

There's a tiny little dent on my camera, and a few spots where there's tiny bits of paint flecked off, and ink on the film reminder on back is faded. Other than that it could be brand new. Not bad for something 50 years old.

mekilljoydammit

Hm, I know this isn't a high traffic forum section, but recently picked up a Canon 50F1.5 lens for my Canon P. Same basic design as the Russky/Zeiss/Nikon lenses I was looking at, but made by Canon. Really elegant looking, great feel, good condition, etc etc etc. I still need to take a picture of it; took it on my honeymoon with the 50F2 Russky lens and used something like 4 rolls of Velvia that I still have to send off. Just got busy.