General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General Forums > Forum & Network
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Closed Thread

sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep View Post
I am merely trying to point things out; I don't know what your intentions are. Please don't see my replies as criticism for it's own sake. I want to have a forum I can feel good about participating in; i.e., not a total waste of time.

I will make no further replies to this thread.

I am only asking you to generate meaningful suggestions- if you chose.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay View Post
Humorous posts, random posts, gimmicks, and bitter posts are very welcome as long as the people ADD to the thread and put in some EFFORT into making them.

I may set a minimum character count for original posts (80) and replies (25)?

I like the idea of a minimal character count.

I guess the moderation felt somewhat "heavy-handed" with respect to moving threads to the Pit. This may sound kinda lame but a few (9:1) serious threads interspersed into the mayhem would be informative and promote a nice complement of lowbrow isajeep humor and highbrow discussion.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Frock- View Post
I think this might be a very un-genmaylike move. Nothing makes me laugh more than when someone makes a really content filled, but retarded thread, and I see it right after someone ssnipes it with "stfu" Thats the kind of thing I come here for.

check out Discussion about changes of the KC
this might be the perfect solution to the problem.

fittysix

OK I hate to break the style iv'e been going on all day, but I wanted to suggest something and honestly it'd be damn hard to formualte this kind of reply in-style

I propose an ability to mark a thread "crap", anyone who has "crap threads" turned off (which can be the default) won't see these crap threads, but anyone that honestly wants to participate in these 'anarchy-within-limits' threads can continue to do so without bothering the masses.
You could give the mods the ability to "crap thread" something, or maybe give the users a thumbsdown, where it takes a ratio of views to thumbsdown and eventually crap-threads it. Once a thread is crapped it's lost to the void, uncraping a thread could only be done by a mod.
The OP can mark a thread crap during original posting if they know it's worthless retardation.
If a user continously gets their threads marked crpa the become a "crap user" where all threads are immediately crap threads for a while.

This kind of gives a best-of-both-worlds in a sense, it give some kind of anarchy to those who want it, but allows those who do not to filter the crap, literally. It also doesn't banish the anarchy to the KC, cause honestly even back when everyone could post in the KC , and it was true anarchy, noone ever did, cause there was just no audience. The people are looking for attention remember, this gives them "the main forum" of attention, but only those that want to give it to them.

Once a thread is "crap" you can have a lot more fun, maybe giving the ability to "thumbsdown" a thread so far that it's just locked, or even "thumbsdown"ing individual posts, it gives the users a little bit of mostly meaningless power, but most importantly it frees the mods time to mod the important threads

irc.00id.net / #auzland

Last edited by fittysix; 05-13-2007 at 08:35 PM..

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittysix View Post
OK I hate to break the style iv'e been going on all day, but I wanted to suggest something and honestly it'd be damn hard to formualte this kind of reply in-style

I propose an ability to mark a thread "crap", anyone who has "crap threads" turned off (which can be the default) won't see these crap threads, but anyone that honestly wants to participate in these 'anarchy-within-limits' threads can continue to do so without bothering the masses.
You could give the mods the ability to "crap thread" something, or maybe give the users a thumbsdown, where it takes a ratio of views to thumbsdown and eventually crap-threads it. Once a thread is crapped it's lost to the void, uncraping a thread could only be done by a mod.
The OP can mark a thread crap during original posting if they know it's worthless retardation.
If a user continously gets their threads marked crpa the become a "crap user" where all threads are immediately crap threads for a while.

This kind of gives a best-of-both-worlds in a sense, it give some kind of anarchy to those who want it, but allows those who do not to filter the crap, literally. It also doesn't banish the anarchy to the KC, cause honestly even back when everyone could post in the KC , and it was true anarchy, noone ever did, cause there was just no audience. The people are looking for attention remember, this gives them "the main forum" of attention, but only those that want to give it to them.

the problem with this is that it does nothing to protect good threads from retards turning it into crap.

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Frock- View Post
I think this might be a very un-genmaylike move. Nothing makes me laugh more than when someone makes a really content filled, but retarded thread, and I see it right after someone ssnipes it with "stfu" Thats the kind of thing I come here for.

That's a good point. When I first came here I read a thread in the that measured the speed of rotation of a hard disc platter and talked about transfer speed and error rates. It was a tour de force and well-written to boot. The first reply was "my head a-splode" and I must have laughed for five minutes. So, maybe the minimal character count isn't the best idea?

sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by odecom5 View Post
yes this is sort of like what i suggested earlier. you make threads, and mods can decide if its a shit thread after say 15 min of being posted, then they are given a 'shit thread' label. sort of the opposite of 'serious' labeled threads in some of our subforums

I asked for help with rules in the OP, stick to that theme or exit. Frock- you are done posting in this thread because you are just on my last nerve and I don't want to end you.

sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittysix View Post

Once a thread is "crap" you can have a lot more fun, maybe giving the ability to "thumbsdown" a thread so far that it's just locked, or even "thumbsdown"ing individual posts, it gives the users a little bit of mostly meaningless power, but most importantly it frees the mods time to mod the important threads

I appreciate the effort, but break this into rules. the problem now is that every mod makes his own rules and every poster whines about this discrimination.

sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
That's a good point. When I first came here I read a thread in the that measured the speed of rotation of a hard disc platter and talked about transfer speed and error rates. It was a tour de force and well-written to boot. The first reply was "my head a-splode" and I must have laughed for five minutes. So, maybe the minimal character count isn't the best idea?

it seems to be a consensus to not limit replies by character count, how about original posts?

IMNobody
FULL BLOWN WIENER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep View Post
I am merely trying to point things out, in hopes that the observations will help you find the best path; I don't know what your intentions are. Please don't see my replies as criticism for it's own sake. I want to have a forum I can feel good about participating in; i.e., not a total waste of time. All I was pointing out is that fixed quantifiable rules are a great way to challenge people to find new ways to get around them.

I will make no further replies to this thread.

Well my reply was indeed criticism. I liked it how it was when I joined - complete chaos, as the forum name suggested. There was very little tolerance for the quick snipe, or for those insult trolls that post now. Everyone threw out insults, but they were witty, and it wasn't every damn post they made. I liked it alot, it was the main reason I made donations and yeah it was fun raping the shit out of everything. I had a few good threads mainly drama or some adult level convo, and I also put up cash because I thought it was needed, so I did so to help out. The nameraping, stickying, av rapes, title rapes, bans, (the old h-mode)... all of it was part of the mayhem, it livened up dead ass slow nights, or just made for some good threads when someone realized they just got fucked. And what the hell defines good from bad? I mean there are obvious bad threads - idiots can spot those. I've seen what some considered "good" get locked, and what some considered "bad" just get left alone. If eating shit and fucking crabs are considered good.... heh

edit: and there are too many threads for this and that for the forum (talking about the KC thread, and the is genmay dead thread)

Last edited by IMNobody; 05-13-2007 at 08:50 PM..

DigitalChaos

^ so how do you get that back? what rules can be made?

odecom5
I have to dress my dick up like celery so my lesbian butch of a gf will suck it.

Quote:
I asked for help with rules in the OP, stick to that theme or exit. Frock- you are done posting in this thread because you are just on my last nerve and I don't want to end you.

woops sorry i forgot this was that thread. i thought it was the other suggestion thread.

honestly i think there is way too much mod sassing and general unnecessary comments on the forum. there a good number of times i've seen things develop in threads that obviously either belong in a PM argument or in the pit or something. i think this rule of ad hominem attacks needs to be pretty prominent and enforced

Bullet: Don't fuck with a mod or we'll fuck you up. Fuck with a member out of place and we'll get a mod to fuck you up.

STRAIGHT UP 39TH STREET NIGGAH ALWAYS BALLIN ALWAYS HUSTLIN' 394L NEVER FRONTIN NEVER HATIN #37

How fast does a zebra have to go before it looks gray?

Huipe

Quote:
the problem now is that every mod makes his own rules and every poster whines about this discrimination.
Then how about setting stricter rules for the mods as far as what they can or can't do here in regard to their mod capabilities?

Some of the mods get away with stuff because you let them. I remember when William posted a horse pr0n video and I complained and nothing was done about it. Why should mods be exempt from the rules members are expected to follow? That just sets a bad example.

IMNobody
FULL BLOWN WIENER!!!

Oh and doesn't anyone think the forum could be slow because.... Uh I dunno like half the posters are graduating from school and have papers and shit they are concentrating on?
geez I dunno what's worse - making rules for the forum, or the fucking drama behind the seasonal "Genmay is dying or sucks" type BS that pops up from time to time.

acidfast7

Quote:
it seems to be a consensus to not limit replies by character count, how about original posts?

The more I consider the use of a minimum character count, the worse the idea seems. Most threads aren't bad because of too few characters.

Closed Thread