General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ACT

Programming a Web Software: What language should I use?

When I was in college, I took some programming classes in C/Java, it's been awhile but I'd like to try to code again, I've bought the books but I'm not sure where to start.

Anyway, I'm wanting to make a software that you can view on a webpage. What is the easiest language to do this and what kind of coding/compiler software should I get?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Jehannum

You can use software in any language you want to run a webpage (C, C++, Java, assembly, whatever). What is most appropriate depends on what you're trying to do.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

ACT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
You can use software in any language you want to run a webpage (C, C++, Java, assembly, whatever). What is most appropriate depends on what you're trying to do.

for someone who isn't a developer but knows the fundamentals, what do you suggest i go with and which software package should i go find and download to start coding?

i'm trying to figure out how to make a data aggregator software

Jehannum

If you're comfortable in C, build your program in C and then have your webserver execute it. Are you planning a dbms back end of any sort? That would point me towards php or something (not that it's impossible to connect to a database in C, just more difficult than it is in php).

As far as tools, I like the free stuff - emacs and apache.

Grazehell

I would not recommend C but that's just me!
Java and php would be the way to go!

DlStreamnet

jquery for your web 2.0 BS, php for your web.

Nice way to start off is wordpress as it gives you the flexibility to start off with addons and finding how they work, to making your own mega powerful site (yahoo.com iirc uses them)

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlStreamnet View Post
jquery for your web 2.0 BS, php for your web.

Nice way to start off is wordpress as it gives you the flexibility to start off with addons and finding how they work, to making your own mega powerful site (yahoo.com iirc uses them)

This. And I am a seasoned veteran developer.

JQuery is a library written in Javascript that makes it much easier to manipulate the client-side UI.

PHP is a scripting language that is one of two de-facto standards used for most of the web applications on the internet. It's very easy to learn, and quite forgiving. The other standard, if you have access to a Windows server, is ASP.NET, which makes use of any .NET language (C# being the most common) you want. I'm fluent in both, and I usually prefer ASP.NET for simple things, but I'd use PHP for an application I were going to design from the ground up.

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

what they said

Use PHP to program and a MySQL database to store your data. Use JQuery and the vast array of tools that use it to do fancy stuff in the browser. Do this and you can make nice and functional websites with relatively low effort, that can be server by any webhost. You can start off by installing XAMPP on your computer.

IMHO PHP is not a good language to learn to program, but seeing as you had some courses I hope you understand that PHP is a scripting language that does not protect you like C or Java would.

Oh and before you put anything you make online, be sure you know and understand the risks of SQL injection and the dangers of displaying user input. Make sure to ALWAYS validate the input on the server side (in your PHP scripts)!

Jehannum

Not to throw a wrench into the whole works, but compiled binaries are really a whole lot faster than either PHP or Java.

And I am a veteran web designer.

The guy didn't say he was building a CMS from scratch. For simple, small projects, I wouldn't hesitate to use CGI instead of an interpreted scripting language.

MooK

For most website applications, to insure they run on as many platforms as possible, I usually, like others in this thread, select a combination of:

HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL and jQuery/JS.

With anything web-related, a major goal for me is always providing an accessible product. As such, I highly recommend you write it to function well without the use of jQuery or CSS, and design it to function in all aspects on as many browsers as possible. The more complex it becomes, the less effective your efforts will be, so start incorporating an accessible element as soon as possible into development.

Unlike cross-platform, cross-browser is a touch more tedious to manage. IE6/7 (although heavily deprecated, there is the dreaded compatibility mode,) 8, 9, FF 3.x-10 (granted, the rapid-release doesn't always apply,) Chrome 5-18/Safari, Opera 9, 10, alternative linux browsers (Konquerer,) etc.

In any case, HTML/CSS to lay down the initial UI. PHP to handle all dynamic aspects of the app. MySQL or other SQL database for storage. jQuery for any special effects.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
what they said

Use PHP to program and a MySQL database to store your data. Use JQuery and the vast array of tools that use it to do fancy stuff in the browser. Do this and you can make nice and functional websites with relatively low effort, that can be server by any webhost. You can start off by installing XAMPP on your computer.

IMHO PHP is not a good language to learn to program, but seeing as you had some courses I hope you understand that PHP is a scripting language that does not protect you like C or Java would.

Oh and before you put anything you make online, be sure you know and understand the risks of SQL injection and the dangers of displaying user input. Make sure to ALWAYS validate the input on the server side (in your PHP scripts)!
Actually, PHP DOES protect you, unlike C would. There's virtually no memory management in PHP. You're never responsible for releasing memory that you allocate (because you don't allocate it yourself), so you can't (usually) introduce a memory leak, or cause odd things to happen by writing directly into memory you're not supposed to. This also prevents the client from sending back an input that overflows a buffer and writes arbitrary data into the memory located immediately after the location your variable was stored in.

You do have to properly check for SQL and HTML injection, but I think that's more straightforward than having to make sure the user never overflows your arbitrary sized buffer.

Jehannum

PHP is only as good as those who developed it. There have been a number of overflow attacks on PHP over the years.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
PHP is only as good as those who developed it. There have been a number of overflow attacks on PHP over the years.

True, but it's better than trying to do the same thing yourself in C, if you're a novice.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
True, but it's better than trying to do the same thing yourself in C, if you're a novice.

99 times out of 100, if you write off the end of a buffer in C, the program segfaults, not grants you permission to upload a root shell.

Better than pretending that PHP provides some sort of protection (a code condom? )

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Actually, PHP DOES protect you, unlike C would. There's virtually no memory management in PHP. You're never responsible for releasing memory that you allocate (because you don't allocate it yourself), so you can't (usually) introduce a memory leak, or cause odd things to happen by writing directly into memory you're not supposed to. This also prevents the client from sending back an input that overflows a buffer and writes arbitrary data into the memory located immediately after the location your variable was stored in.

You do have to properly check for SQL and HTML injection, but I think that's more straightforward than having to make sure the user never overflows your arbitrary sized buffer.

No one programs in C anymore, at least not unless you're talking device drivers, kernels , embedded hardware or the like. I meant C# / Java, which by virtue of being strongly typed are a lot different than PHP. OP should know that if we're going to recommend it.