General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
No one programs in C anymore, at least not unless you're talking device drivers, kernels , embedded hardware or the like. I meant C# / Java, which by virtue of being strongly typed are a lot different than PHP. OP should know that if we're going to recommend it.

I program in C every day.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
I program in C every day.
As do I . *high-five*.

As for the original question; considered messing with Java web development using JSP? You said you took some Java, JSP is probably closer to something you wouldn't have to learn....?

While I do code in C frequently, I really wouldn't recommend it for web work. It's just not its forte, and there are so many other options that'll run inside the Webserver. So, I'd pick scripted over those. Consider that the process for CGI is (typically): get web request -> invoke CGI application (as a process) -> pass request data via stdin -> read web presentation data via stdout -> relay data to browser. For embedded (like PHP / ASP) some of this can be streamlined by the web server. Often times the perceived performance of an interpreted language embedded into the web server is swamped by all the overhead involved in this chain.

That said, if you're really cool with C, you may as well just write a really simple web server to handle your page. I mean, if this is for learning you'll get more out of that. I've done this once or twice to build a web server into an application I'm building just to provide control through a browser rather than through some custom thick-client. If you're familiar, think of the Samba web admin tool, it presents a simple page interface to the Samba server so you don't have to use the command line tools or edit the configuration files manually.

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 01-09-2012 at 11:34 AM..

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

@DreamWarrior: Just reading the first post, I don't think ACT has the skills or time to do that kind of thing. That's why PHP is a good option, it's easy to do your basic hello world and there's a plethora of tutorials, books, guides and forums to help him.

DreamWarrior

Quote:
@DreamWarrior: Just reading the first post, I don't think ACT has the skills or time to do that kind of thing. That's why PHP is a good option, it's easy to do your basic hello world and there's a plethora of tutorials, books, guides and forums to help him.
Well, he said Java. Since JSP is inline within the HTML, only Java rather than a new language like PHP (or ASP.net), I figured he may have a leg-up there.

Otherwise, agreed, writing a simple web server may be too much to ask. That said, there's no other reason to use C unless whatever you're writing needs a separate web server. IMO, if you're going to use an existing web server, scrap the dated common gateway interface (CGI) and use something like PHP, JSP, or if you're a Microslut, ASP.net.

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Well, I have a Java background, and I've tried JSP long before I got comfortable with PHP, and I gotta say that for the intended purpose, PHP beats the shit out of JSP.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
As do I . *high-five*.

Hooray for people who care about performance!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Well, I have a Java background, and I've tried JSP long before I got comfortable with PHP, and I gotta say that for the intended purpose, PHP beats the shit out of JSP.
I guess the Java JDBC stuff is more of a pain than PHP's libs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Hooray for people who care about performance!
It's not even that so much as it's what I enjoy doing, and fortunately what my company uses. I have a feeling that with newer optimizing JVMs, the performance is closing in for all but the most intense tasks. Well written Java code that properly considers the garbage collector can perform quite well, in fact -- better than some poorly written C I've seen floating around my job .

Fiah

Poorly written algorithms that are coded very well will always lose from well written algorithms that were poorly coded, too