General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Bill Brasky
He killed Wolfman Jack with a trident
 
Bill Brasky's Avatar
 
Parents bought an 08 WRX...

...and I've got some questions that I would have asked before they bought a used WRX

It's got ~21k miles on it and 2nd gear whines like a little bitch. 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th do not make any extra sound whatsoever. I've tried to look around, but I'm seeing conflicting reports detailing that either the tranny is going to take a 2nd gear shit, or that it's perfectly normal. Anyone care to elaborate? As far as I know, it sounds like the person who owned it prior to us liked to press the happy pedal from stoplight to stoplight a little too much and may or may not have used a clutch to shift to 2nd gear. I'm really hoping this is not the case.

Also, is there anything I or my parents should know about owning this car? I know the Legacys had interior squeak problems, but I know nothing about the Imprezas. They just up and traded their 08 Legacy (no GT) for it without talking to me (they always have when it came to cars). It's bone stock. Leather, nav, hatch, stick. Pearl white. Looks like sex. Wished they'd bought an 09 for the extra 40hp and 6th gear...

Also, my dad wants to take off the TMIC and make it a FMIC just so he can have a regular hood (and some debadging) and therefore, ricer jocks won't try to challenge him every damn day going to work. How much of a PITA is this?
__________________
Nikon DSLR Club: D70

I'm a Son of a Bitch and you fucking love me for it.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:18 AM Bill Brasky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SomeoneWhoIsntMe
 
SomeoneWhoIsntMe's Avatar
 
chipped 2nd tooth because somebody paul walkered it too hard, or they replaced only 2nd gear with a straight cut PPG

maybe change the trans fluid to flush out the bits of 2nd gear that are knocking around in there, but fuck it, there's not much else you can do

things you need to know? the 08's probably the gayest WRX ever made, since it got the soft suspension and the GH body weight without the zomg IHI turbo the 09's have.

How much of a PITA is a FMIC install? Shouldn't be too bad, you just have to take the front bumper off, cut some shit to make it fit, cut the bumper beam or install the super JDM lightweight fucking die in a crash bracket in it's place, and throw all the piping on and bolt everything up. The real PITA is when your EJ255 miraculously cracks a ringland after another 10k and the stealership won't cover it because the car was modded, or if mom hits a stop sign at 10mph because she's a woman and obliterates the entire front end of the car because you're one bumper beam short of a five star crash rating.

The other thing is, all the nasioc nutswingers say you have to have an 18G or larger turbo before you're allowed to run a front mount. So kill two birds with one stone and get an 18G or 20G (or fuck it, T67 rotated), catless downpipe, bigger injectors, and a fuel pump, and you'll make use of that stealthy FMIC while making back that 40whp deficit and then some.

shit, while you're at it, throw some coilovers on that bitch to fix the shitty factory suspension, and get 18x9.5 enkei RPF1's with some 265 wide direzza star specs to replace the shitty factory rubber and make brfatal sad that your shit looks doper than his sunk ass '04 STi stockers
Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 AM SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

chronage
 
chronage's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
chipped 2nd tooth because somebody paul walkered it too hard, or they replaced only 2nd gear with a straight cut PPG

maybe change the trans fluid to flush out the bits of 2nd gear that are knocking around in there, but fuck it, there's not much else you can do

things you need to know? the 08's probably the gayest WRX ever made, since it got the soft suspension and the GH body weight without the zomg IHI turbo the 09's have.

How much of a PITA is a FMIC install? Shouldn't be too bad, you just have to take the front bumper off, cut some shit to make it fit, cut the bumper beam or install the super JDM lightweight fucking die in a crash bracket in it's place, and throw all the piping on and bolt everything up. The real PITA is when your EJ255 miraculously cracks a ringland after another 10k and the stealership won't cover it because the car was modded, or if mom hits a stop sign at 10mph because she's a woman and obliterates the entire front end of the car because you're one bumper beam short of a five star crash rating.

The other thing is, all the nasioc nutswingers say you have to have an 18G or larger turbo before you're allowed to run a front mount. So kill two birds with one stone and get an 18G or 20G (or fuck it, T67 rotated), catless downpipe, bigger injectors, and a fuel pump, and you'll make use of that stealthy FMIC while making back that 40whp deficit and then some.

shit, while you're at it, throw some coilovers on that bitch to fix the shitty factory suspension, and get 18x9.5 enkei RPF1's with some 265 wide direzza star specs to replace the shitty factory rubber and make brfatal sad that your shit looks doper than his sunk ass '04 STi stockers

This post would make me want to hang myself if I had just purchased an 08 WRX
Old 01-07-2010, 01:17 AM chronage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

SomeoneWhoIsntMe
 
SomeoneWhoIsntMe's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronage View Post
This post would make me want to hang myself if I had just purchased an 08 WRX


chipped gear ain't the end of the world, my 1st gear is chipped and I still beat the fuck out of my car, just I have to roll race SRT-4's through school zones instead of dumping the clutch off the 4500rpm 2-step from every stoplight like I used to

so the previous owner forgot he wasn't driving his old integra type r with straight penzoil synchromesh in the transaxle for smooth powershift 2nd gear chirp action, and dumped the clutch on it when it was halfway in gear, and stretched the gear or chipped a tooth off, it's not the fucking end of the world

just don't do the same shit twice, and it should hold for plenty of time. now, there's the remote possibility that it could shatter tomorrow, but then again I've heard of nissan guys fucking up their transmissions so they make the same noise and driving 40k on it.

I mean, he said straight up it's the 08 so it's down on power compared to the 09, and he misses the N/A leggy, so he already knew it isn't the coolest car subaru's ever made

the rest of the shit I was talking about just pertained to the FMIC install

honestly, 95% of people are going to mistake it for a base model mazda 3 anyway, so you don't need to be much more stealth about that.

I guess there was the stuff about the soft 08 suspension and shitty subaru stock rubber, but everybody knows about that. How do you think evos set twelve second faster lap times in every magazine review while being the same damn car on paper?


Or were you getting at how much it'd suck to join a car community full of ricers like me?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 AM SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

SemperFly
 
SemperFly's Avatar
 
if your old man didn't want to get challenged by ricers why did he buy a car made for someone half his age?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 AM SemperFly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

SomeoneWhoIsntMe
 
SomeoneWhoIsntMe's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
if your old man didn't want to get challenged by ricers why did he buy a car made for someone half his age?
the whole problem with that car is they designed it for his dad instead of people half his age
Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 AM SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

SemperFly
 
SemperFly's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
the whole problem with that car is they designed it for his dad instead of people half his age

oops, I meant marketed toward people half his age
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 AM SemperFly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

SomeoneWhoIsntMe
 
SomeoneWhoIsntMe's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
oops, I meant marketed toward people half his age
well I mean, the 08 WRX was subaru experimenting with marketing the car

they've been trying to break into the mainstream, take for instance the new forester being a proper crossover instead of the dykemobile big impreza wagon it used to be

they realised that as cool as 16 year old kids think the WRX / STi is, they just weren't buying that many new ones, so it was a good decision to restyle the car to be less boy racer and more normal and soften the suspension on everything but the STi.

everything got a way way fucking nicer than previous interior, and the STi got the si-drive so you have shitty throttle response and low boost for daily driving and only flip it into sport sharp when you really need to shit on camaros on the way to business meetings

problem is, as appealing to whatever normal demographics their focus groups told them the car was supposed to be, it turns out that middle aged men didn't magically come out of the woodwork to buy WRX's now that they weren't so aggressive looking and harsh to drive, so they said fuck it and make the suspension stiffer again in 09 and added moar powar to placate everyone that was bitching about the new one.

In all honesty, the 08 wasn't bad, it was mostly the new body style that got people bitching. I swear, if the new ones looked like bugeyes or GC's, but got the new interior, they could have weighed 300lbs more and had no extra power and people still would've shot a load over it. Now that the new body style's had a while for everyone to adjust to it, it looks just fine, and the 08 was by no means a poor car mechanically. It doesn't have the extra power that the 09 does, but you can get all of that back with a downpipe and a retune, and the TD04H will probably out spool the newer VFwhateverthefuck they put in the 09 if torque's your thing. The suspension isn't as stiff as the 09, but the suspension's never been as stiff as it should be, which is why god made lowering springs with better rates so cheap.


I just noticed the OP said "missing 40 hp and a 6th gear", and that's not true, the 09 WRX still gets the same 5 speed Subaru's been using since they bombed pearl harbor. The 6 speed is stupid complex compared to it so they save it just for the STi, except it weighs a lot more and causes STi's to get pulled on by lightly modded WRX's because of the different gear ratios.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 AM SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

lopoetve
 
you're in a rich style this morning
__________________
"You always gotta question the culinary excellence of food items which propel themselves out of cans"-LilMsCanBeRite
[M]otorcycle krew - 2011 Triumph Street Triple R. (Bwah?!?)
2013 ZL1 Camaro
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 AM lopoetve is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

Bill Brasky
He killed Wolfman Jack with a trident
 
Bill Brasky's Avatar
 
You just made my day

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the 6th gear because some kid told me about it in the local Chevron while he was asking why I had to put in premium gas and licking my windows all the while.

As for why he bought the car... he didn't like that the N/A Legacy (with a true autotragic... seriously. my Honda Element has a more willing-to-downshift transmission) had to be wrung out to 6000 rpm to achieve any sort of forward velocity and sounded like it was going to split in half (or already did) while doing it. Naturally, that meant he had to buy a turbo, which I told him to get in the first place. The Legacy GT was out because it was too expensive so he went with the WRX with a stick. He had no idea of the difference in the 09 which miffed me. Oh well.

I know they could give a fuckall about the suspension. They use it to commute to work. It is pretty damn soft though. I had harder suspension in my '72 MGB... and that had a live axle and leafs in the back.

edit: I do *not* miss the Legacy by any means. The interior was nice. This is nicer. I do miss the gauge cluster of the Legacy oddly, however.
__________________
Nikon DSLR Club: D70

I'm a Son of a Bitch and you fucking love me for it.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 AM Bill Brasky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
subaru was involved in bombing pearl harbor?

awesome

well.. maybe "fuji heavy industries?"

my grandma flipped her shit when i parked my non-mitsubishi-mitsubishi in her front yard so many years ago

she was a little relieved when i told her the 420a motor was also used in a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle.
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

SomeoneWhoIsntMe
 
SomeoneWhoIsntMe's Avatar
 
FHI used to be the Nakajima Aircraft Company, most notable for producing the Ki-84



I've just got to wait until all the WWII and Korean War vets die before I can paint a 1st gen turbo legacy like that...
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

u467
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
shit, while you're at it, throw some coilovers on that bitch to fix the shitty factory suspension, and get 18x9.5 enkei RPF1's with some 265 wide direzza star specs to replace the shitty factory rubber and make brfatal sad that your shit looks doper than his sunk ass '04 STi stockers

18X9.5 :O
i agree with shitty factory suspension fix
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM u467 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

SomeoneWhoIsntMe
 
SomeoneWhoIsntMe's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by u467 View Post
18X9.5 :O
i agree with shitty factory suspension fix
I dunno if GH's can fit wheels that aggressive, but here's my friend's GR with 18x9.5's and even spacers in the front, and it looked maybe only a little flusher than my GG with 17x7.5's in the background.


GH or GE with lowish offset RPF1's


and here's what I was talking about with the FMIC bumper beam thing. with most kits you can cut the fuck out of your bumper beam so you're fucked in a crash


or you can install the OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG bracket that comes in the kit so you're FUCKED in a crash
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

u467
 
wow. arent there smaller FMIC options??
Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 AM u467 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.