General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

w00tpickles

Any arcade collectors out there?

And no, I'm not talking about owning a MAME cabinet. I've been back in the mode to do some restorations lately and I was wondering if anyone else enjoyed this hobby, and or might have some extra parts, PCBs, etc, that they may want to trade? Or just general discussion. I've been fabricating Midway style cabinets for several years now and I've been missing the sounds of all the beeps and bloops I used to hear constantly when I'd get home from work. As you can imagine, being forced to move several times in the past three or four years has made me short tempered with dragging 12,000 lbs of video and pinball machines with me, and so most of them fell victim to eBay.

I've still got my DK Jr, Galaga, Baby Pacman, and Simpsons Pinball Party machines.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

edplayer
no

is your Galaga a tabletop?

w00tpickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer View Post
is your Galaga a tabletop?

Nope, it's a full sized cabinet. I don't really like the cocktail cabs.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

i want virtual on

w00tpickles

I'd actually really like to get my hands on a Atari Tempest cabaret or full size cab. But those Vector display games are impossible to come across for a reasonable price.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tpickles View Post
I'd actually really like to get my hands on a Atari Tempest cabaret or full size cab. But those Vector display games are impossible to come across for a reasonable price.

how were they different? the displays, that is

I'd love to play an old schol Tempest

w00tpickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
how were they different? the displays, that is

I'd love to play an old schol Tempest

A raster image is made of up pixels, each a different color, arranged to display an image.

A vector image is made up of paths, each with a mathematical formula (vector) that tells the path how it is shaped and what color it is bordered with or filled by.

The major difference is that raster image pixels do not retain their appearance as size increases - when you blow a photograph up, it becomes blurry for this reason. Vector images do retain appearance regardless of size, since the mathematical formulas dictate how the image is rendered.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

So fucking rad. I love all these color vector games especially in the dark.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tpickles View Post
A raster image is made of up pixels, each a different color, arranged to display an image.

A vector image is made up of paths, each with a mathematical formula (vector) that tells the path how it is shaped and what color it is bordered with or filled by.

The major difference is that raster image pixels do not retain their appearance as size increases - when you blow a photograph up, it becomes blurry for this reason. Vector images do retain appearance regardless of size, since the mathematical formulas dictate how the image is rendered.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

So fucking rad. I love all these color vector games especially in the dark.

no no no... I understand the difference between vector and rastergraphics ( I used to be a computer animator / 3D artist and graphic designer professionally)

I mean the actual display... the monitor. What is the difference in actual monitor, not render method.

w00tpickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
no no no... I understand the difference between vector and rastergraphics ( I used to be a computer animator / 3D artist and graphic designer professionally)

I mean the actual display... the monitor. What is the difference in actual monitor, not render method.

AHHHHH!

Raster-scan
1)raster displays have less resolution.
2)the lines produced are ziz-zag as the p.l.o.t.t.e.d. values are discrete.
3)high degree realism is achived in picture with the aid of advanced shading and hidden surface technique.

Random scan
1)random displays have high resolutions since the picture definition is stored as a set of line drawing commands and not as a set of intensity values.
2)smooth lines are produced as the electron beam directly follows the line path.
3)realism is difficult to achieve.

Vector scans are generally positioned differently, they have the "TV tipped on it's side" look, well as far as coinop machines are concerned.

There are also differences in voltage requirements and the tubes are retarded expensive.