General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

jm8881

The bandit skin is gone but the humanity meter is still there, you just can't see it right now. The system is being changed and will be reimplimented in a later patch. Seems the devs have something they're planning for it.

You have to remember that this is all an experiment. And it's in alpha right now so game mechanics will come and go.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

3nk1du

You can now choose to be male or female and it is a permanent choice.

3nk1du

They fly now

Not rly, but this zombie was bouncing up and down like he was on a trampoline, when we got close he flew forward at us and died.

Vigilante

id wonder if something like this could be modded with skyrim.

exactly the type of mod i've been dreaming about.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

so thse zombies can shoot guns?

G-Daddy
I love my mother. No, I REALLY love her. In the butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
id wonder if something like this could be modded with skyrim.

exactly the type of mod i've been dreaming about.

looking for a place to put this
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
1ccff0ae11de8623189c9693877fcddf

Caelum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
so thse zombies can shoot guns?

No, but they run real fast and hit you and make you bleed. And you bleed until you bandage yourself which takes you kneeling down, putting your weapon down and not moving as it happens. So, shooting your gun in a crowd is a BAD idea. Unless you can get them inside a building. Then their AI goes crazy and they start walking real slow by default

Made it to the airport again. Not stopping for much but a pack. Same place I found the ALICE before except this time it was a czech pack. Got fed up pacing behind the zombies as they dragged ass around the hangers I was roaming in so started taking them out. The noise alerts all zombies in the area so I killed around 30 or so in 2 hangers. The airport is CRAWLING with zombies.
During my snooping and avoiding the zombies I was hearing gun fire pretty regular real close to me. So once I dropped the horde around me I went looking. I had taken some hits so was down past 4500 blood and aparently thats when your vision goes black and white and starts fading in and out. I had eaten all my food and shit to regain health so all I needed was some more food. I went into this other building next to where I was to find a lot of dead Z's. I had mention in chat where I was to the other person near me hoping to hear a response of friendly but I did not.
So in this other building I go up a few stairs to find a dead survivor with an ALICE pack and lots of gear but I had yet to clear the whole stairwell. This is a repeated building so I knew there was one more flight of stairs. Before I coudl amke the turn for the next staircase...a fucking bandit shot me in the damn head

Getting killed PVP on the shore or early in is one thing, but getting killed ALL the way at the top of the map after going over the entirety of the game area.........................is pretty frustrating. I'm not mad at the guy....but it sucks. That was a bad life I was having. My gear was shit, I didnt find ammo for winchester until I was almost all the way there then ran out by the time I got there. So when I went into the airport all I had was the starter pistol, food and drink and bandages. I'm glad I didnt stop and survive for like 4 days like I did on the life 2 lives ago....that was a hard death lol. I died a tired and broken man on that one

I mean, I know, I started this series at Operation Flashpoint so I'm not new to the concept. But it seems so foreign to trek a great distance, acquire gear and survive in a challenging world to get killed in one shot

jm8881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
No, but they run real fast and hit you and make you bleed. And you bleed until you bandage yourself which takes you kneeling down, putting your weapon down and not moving as it happens. So, shooting your gun in a crowd is a BAD idea. Unless you can get them inside a building. Then their AI goes crazy and they start walking real slow by default

Made it to the airport again. Not stopping for much but a pack. Same place I found the ALICE before except this time it was a czech pack. Got fed up pacing behind the zombies as they dragged ass around the hangers I was roaming in so started taking them out. The noise alerts all zombies in the area so I killed around 30 or so in 2 hangers. The airport is CRAWLING with zombies.
During my snooping and avoiding the zombies I was hearing gun fire pretty regular real close to me. So once I dropped the horde around me I went looking. I had taken some hits so was down past 4500 blood and aparently thats when your vision goes black and white and starts fading in and out. I had eaten all my food and shit to regain health so all I needed was some more food. I went into this other building next to where I was to find a lot of dead Z's. I had mention in chat where I was to the other person near me hoping to hear a response of friendly but I did not.
So in this other building I go up a few stairs to find a dead survivor with an ALICE pack and lots of gear but I had yet to clear the whole stairwell. This is a repeated building so I knew there was one more flight of stairs. Before I coudl amke the turn for the next staircase...a fucking bandit shot me in the damn head

Getting killed PVP on the shore or early in is one thing, but getting killed ALL the way at the top of the map after going over the entirety of the game area.........................is pretty frustrating. I'm not mad at the guy....but it sucks. That was a bad life I was having. My gear was shit, I didnt find ammo for winchester until I was almost all the way there then ran out by the time I got there. So when I went into the airport all I had was the starter pistol, food and drink and bandages. I'm glad I didnt stop and survive for like 4 days like I did on the life 2 lives ago....that was a hard death lol. I died a tired and broken man on that one

I mean, I know, I started this series at Operation Flashpoint so I'm not new to the concept. But it seems so foreign to trek a great distance, acquire gear and survive in a challenging world to get killed in one shot

That's the thing though. You WILL die in this game. There is no end game content, and there are no missions. It is what you make of it. Every time I play I learn something new. Where bandits like to hunt, is it worth it to go into town or just skip it, where bandits like to place tents, what areas to avoid, etc. I've been alive for 3 days now (probably only about 8 hours of gameplay) and I've got some nice loot. The fact that I don't want to die and start over makes me play more in the game.

Caelum

I agree 100% with your last statement. And also admit that once you get to a certain point there will be nothing but PVP to entertain you. And I was half way anticipating it, and then once I saw the one survivors body, I thought the z's must have got him...but I was wrong

The slew of bodies at his feet was nothing compared to the carnage I caused to them 1 building away

I'm still having fun, but after living for a few days then getting killed so suddenly at my destination so far in........ I didnt even want to restart then. The deaths that occurred when I was in cherno and had my m16 and 1911, I was fine with that because it was so early and I had barely traversed any distance to get there.

I'm still loving it, and I will still "go north" stopping at that farm to get a pack. Cause its always there.

Caelum

This developer may be my favorite guy in the games industry ever.

Quote:
Just because I did not script rules, doesn't stop anyone from making their own in game.

Are people so used to games shoving rules, tasks, stories down their throats that they can't handle it when something doesn't? Or would you like a world where the players actually get to do this? Not a structured and controlled environment that is "dressed up" as post-apocalyptic?

I hear what everyone is saying, and yes - its cruel and unsporting when you get killed 10 seconds into the game. But that's what this is, it is brutal, it is cruel. This is not fair. Maybe you will hate this game. Maybe you already do. It is an unforgiving environment with no structure. It is up to you to decide what to do next.

I would rather let the project die (and maybe it will, I accept that) than take over the role of establishing rules and punishments and structure. Instead I am going to work on the world's framework. It is up to the inhabitants of that world, you guys, to decide what kind of world you want it to be.

Is this actually possible? Fuck knows. But I really want to find out, and I've got nothing at all to loose. And to be honest, neither have you because you haven't paid me a cent and I haven't been paid a single cent for any of this.

So here's the challenge - just take a moment and think about what you are asking me for, with alot of these requests. Balancing, structure, rules, protection. These are what the game industry has shoved in your face for the last twenty years. Even the game industry itself can't escape it. EVE-Online tried briefly but caved in. Why? Money. They needed subscribers.

I don't.

This is going all the way, to whatever end that is.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
This developer may be my favorite guy in the games industry ever.
sounds pretty good to me. It forces teamwork, and cooperation (or extreme tactics if you cant find a team)

I wish it wasnt so awkward/ugly/inaccurate of a game engine though :/ I guess with freedom, you lose polish.

Caelum

Yeah. But the way (maybe from this thread) is that he is a ARMA dev and that they are already working on a version to work with ARMA3

Forever Domon

is that out yet? I get mixed up between the arma's and the operation flashpoints, and all the variants.

Caelum

Not its not out yet.

Flashpoint was first and the publisher retained the rights to the name so the devs went on to make the arma series.

Like Far Cry and Crysis

So him working from the ground up to put dayz in Arma 3 may make it pretty awesome...hopefully

Caelum

Ok, so crouching in a high tower in cherno and my vision will clip through the bricks sometimes. Its supposed to be a chimney of some sort but its not one of the factory ones.

Anyway, I look down and see something in it...

Its a picture of Santa grinning smoking a fat joint

Thought it was pretty funny...probably because I was perched up there for so long lol