General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

dio

Why were the original masterminds behind the greatest game tech so dark and evil?

I was just thinking about how freaky of a game Doom was, and how freaky of a game Quake was, and how freaky Unreal 1 was. Really not alot of games have been made that are just as senselessly demonic as those early id games. No story, no real , just senseless dark evil existence. Then I started to think about this in relation to John Carmack and Tim Sweeney, and the that whole band of people who were around at that time as well, John Romero, all the early guys at 3D Realms

To me it seems, if your like the guys who made lets say Postal 2, you just buy a game engine, hire some reasonably good Unreal Scripters, modellers and level designers and go at, make some fucked up shit. The dedication to bring that game to life was of course there, but it was nothing compared to Carmack or Sweeney who invented the original underlying frameworks and technology to begin with.

In the instance of John Carmack and Tim Sweeney, there was some true brilliance there, some true dedication to truly wanting those worlds to exist. The amount of effort they had to put into the original technology in the Quake and Unreal engine really is mind blowing to me, and I can't help but wonder, why so much effort to make such a dark and evil and scary world? Were they inherently dark and troubled guys who just used video game production as like some outlet and why did such groundbreaking technology come from such dark origins?

What is the relationship between demonic stuff, evil, programmers, computer graphics, the birthing of new graphics technologies, video games.... John Carmack seems like just a regular super smart nerdy guy. But theres gotta be some weird stuff in his head to devote so much of his life, soul and existence to bringing to life such evil worlds.

Carmack and Sweeney really set a standard that people now just correlate games with demonic evil stuff and that just seems natural now, what is should be. But really it didn't have to be that way. Why didn't such technology spawn out of a cartoony playful origin?

Last edited by dio; 07-29-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t

games are for people to do things they can't get away with or get lost in a world that doesn't exist
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
¯\(º_o)/¯ IRC Partay!! ¯\(o_º)/¯

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

What *should* we be shooting at in a FPS game that'd be less dark?

- Game? yawn.
- Targets? hour-long yawn.
- A shopping mall? Oh wait, that's more dark.

Nazis, aliens and hellspawn are a pretty good choice, can't really think of any way to add to that list.

TUT RAGE!!!

another shit thread by this fucking cock bagel

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Carmac was a game engine guy, others within the company influenced the dark tone of the games more than he did. Anyway, you have to understand the era those guys grew up in (about 10 years older than me I believe) was an era in which the chosen music of the geek/nerd was heavy metal which had a lot of the same types of imagery. They were simply doing what a lot of musicians were doing at the time...whatever scares parents and gets the media buzzing was a good thing.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

U Caught The Gay

Unreal isn't an id game.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Dude evil shit is cool, duh!

Would you play a game where you go to church and are nice to everyone?

3nk1du

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

You just reminded me of that church simulator that EA faked for Dante's Inferno.

Forever Domon

you probably werent even alive when sweeney and romero and carmack were in their prime.

Also. Shut the fuck up you you twittering nitwit.

aoeoae

carmack and some of the other early id guys were AD&D players which probably influenced them

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

some pretty big assumptions here.

1. that the people who made games like doom were dark and evil. you don't have to be dark, or evil, to create a game where you're fighting evil. especially when if it consists of shooting it in the face.

2. that gamers had never fought evil before. its nothing new. just a new medium and more popular.

3. that these early games influenced modern games so heavily that theres no variation of that theme. see nintendo... for the past ever.

4. that modern games aren't as dark as early games. also not true. at all. in fact a lot of newer games make the concepts of doom look like a childs coloring book.

this whole thing is like saying that the first successful comedian is the reason we have all comedy, or that the first guy to popularize the piano is the reason pianos are used so frequently in music.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Why does this fool still have thread privileges?

Posting goatse from my iPad, damn it's cool to be in the future

Asa of the Infidel Crew

dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Caught The Gay View Post
Unreal isn't an id game.

I know this, despite mentioning unreal, I chose to just focus on id for my analysis. But early era Epic games shared the same sort of vibe as id.

dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

I was just thinking it could be a more positive message in the game.

Why did all early games have to be about shooting stuff as well?

TUT RAGE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcric View Post
some pretty big assumptions here.

1. that the people who made games like doom were dark and evil. you don't have to be dark, or evil, to create a game where you're fighting evil. especially when if it consists of shooting it in the face.

2. that gamers had never fought evil before. its nothing new. just a new medium and more popular.

3. that these early games influenced modern games so heavily that theres no variation of that theme. see nintendo... for the past ever.

4. that modern games aren't as dark as early games. also not true. at all. in fact a lot of newer games make the concepts of doom look like a childs coloring book.

this whole thing is like saying that the first successful comedian is the reason we have all comedy, or that the first guy to popularize the piano is the reason pianos are used so frequently in music.

Evil retro games and their performance on evil modern games.