General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

SemperFly

So if I posted a link for a bunch of guys that were pushing 800hp on a completely stock 5.4 Ford engine with only a supercharger, you'd call just as quickly?

Choose carefully, I will hold you to your answer

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy
So if I posted a link for a bunch of guys that were pushing 800hp on a completely stock 5.4 Ford engine with only a supercharger, you'd call just as quickly?

Choose carefully, I will hold you to your answer

I probably would, especially given what I know about those engines.

But, given the way you worded that, you've got an ace up your sleeve, meant to show me up. I'll hazard a guess that you found either a stock F150 motor with a huge turbo that put out 800hp once on a dyno, or a Lightning in a similar situation. And, in either situation, if it's on stock internals, neither of those motors will last mong enough to get 'em off the dyno, much less drive 'em home.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

m3th0dm4n

In a 5.0 mag I have a 5.4L turbocharged Mustang is running 700 rwhp. It uses Navigator cams/heads/intake. But it's also been ported, revalved, and running lower comp pistons. So I dunno about 800hp lasting very long

Edit: And who says I don't have an alcohol injected funny car...

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3th0dm4n
In a 5.0 mag I have a 5.4L turbocharged Mustang is running 700 rwhp. It uses Navigator cams/heads/intake. But it's also been ported, revalved, and running lower comp pistons. So I dunno about 800hp lasting very long

Edit: And who says I don't have an alcohol injected funny car...

It's likely running beefed-up internals as well. I've seen stock internals hit 600hp, but they don't last long, and the first instance of detonation destroys them.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

mhaskell
I am an SBC-lovin' beancounting crackwhore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana
And, in either situation, if it's on stock internals, neither of those motors will last mong enough to get 'em off the dyno, much less drive 'em home.

Its too bad the ford motor can't hold up like the LS1 that did 112+ dyno pulls on a stock 100K+ engine.

1999 Ford Lightning
1984 Corvette Z-51
Leaf springs,pushrods, aluminum heads, nitrous and wideband fuel injection for life.

1998 saab, 5 speed, winter beater

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaskell
Its too bad the ford motor can't hold up like the LS1 that did 112+ dyno pulls on a stock 100K+ engine.

No shit.. tho, I suspect the ls1 was running steel internals, which makes for a much stronger basis to get there in the first place.

--John Hobbs

mhaskell
I am an SBC-lovin' beancounting crackwhore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana
No shit.. tho, I suspect the ls1 was running steel internals, which makes for a much stronger basis to get there in the first place.

I still don't beleive you can't tell a cast piston from a forged one.

1999 Ford Lightning
1984 Corvette Z-51
Leaf springs,pushrods, aluminum heads, nitrous and wideband fuel injection for life.

1998 saab, 5 speed, winter beater

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaskell
I still don't beleive you can't tell a cast piston from a forged one.

I'm not about to commit myself to anything based on a picture of the top of a piston. I've seen both cast and forged units that look absolutely identical, unless you know to look for the casting marks, and other minor details, so a picture of a soot-encrusted piston in a block means absolutely nothing.

Got a story for you: guy with a mid-70's Olds Cutlass was running in some stock drag class, where they yank a head to verify the "stock" internals, among other things they do with the winners. This car ran with a hellacious lope, but it looked completely stock; kept winning shit left and right, with a "stock" 350. Well, someone accused the guy of cheating, and the puled the motor and tore it apart completely; and, under the side of the motor with the A/C & power steering pump, the guy had bored it out to 400 dimensions, and had installed a 400 crank, with the stock 350 pistons on the side where the inspections were being done! Half the motor was stock, the other half forged 400 pistons and rods. Damned ingenious, I'd say.

--John Hobbs