General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by oHshiz View Post

Yes, well, being a big, bad high school graduate means you know these things.

Unfortunately, our friend thewhiteguy isn't so fortunate.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

oHshiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 EFI CARB SUCKS View Post
yeah, see, I don't actually KNOW the answer here.. thinking about it left me unclear on the answer, so my natural idea was to ASK... not to post a thread titled "LOLOL won a downhill race, conclusions inside v.Galileo > Mazda"... I asked when I didn't know the answer.. that's something you could learn how to do as well.

this thread is going well, information is being posted, and I'm learning shit that I either never learned or forgot years ago. you could learn from this as well.

How in the world are you going to say I could learn something from the topic and discussion? You don't know what I do and do not know.

I am not mocking you or your asking the questions. I am laughing at some of the answers.

JimmySal- "oHshiz knows whats up."

Rang3find3r
sabercat tamer

Quote:
How in the world are you going to say I could learn something from the topic and discussion? You don't know what I do and do not know.

I am not mocking you or your asking the questions. I am laughing at some of the answers.

there's nothing I can do for someone so closed-minded and clueless. how can you not know what I'm refering to? totally clueless, or just playing totally stupid

oHshiz

Quote:
there's nothing I can do for someone so closed-minded and clueless. how can you not know what I'm refering to? totally clueless, or just playing totally stupid

You ask a question here on a open forum.

You get some retarded answers.

I laugh at said answers.

You tell me that I can learn something.

In fact, I won't learn anything in this thread.

You tell me that YOU can't do anything for me because I am so closed-minded and clueless while you're the one asking the questions.

*edit: just because you don't know the answer doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

Rang3find3r
sabercat tamer

Quote:
You ask a question here on a open forum.

You get some retarded answers.

I laugh at said answers.

You tell me that I can learn something.

In fact, I won't learn anything in this thread.

You tell me that YOU can't do anything for me because I am so closed-minded and clueless while you're the one asking the questions.

*edit: just because you don't know the answer doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

I'm tired of your OMGOMGOMGOMG wafflings, please excuse yourself from my thread

oHshiz

I see. I re-read what you said. You're suggesting I ask a question before I talk about something I have no idea WTF I am talking about.

That's really clever. But I don't open my mouth when I am not certain I am right.
So why don't you keep your sarcastic pie-hole shut and focus on what you don't understand.

Rang3find3r
sabercat tamer

Quote:
I see. I re-read what you said. You're suggesting I ask a question before I talk about something I have no idea WTF I am talking about.

That's really clever. But I don't open my mouth when I am not certain I am right.
So why don't you keep your sarcastic pie-hole shut and focus on what you don't understand.

I'm entirely focused on that... Hence the thread

I suggest you take a brake from this thread

oHshiz

Quote:
I'm entirely focused on that... Hence the thread

I suggest you take a brake from this thread

Thanks for the suggestion. But I will continue to click where I please. Thanks tho.

I also noticed how you spelled "break" as "brake". That was entirely way too clever. You're like the Innuendo-King or something.

Rang3find3r
sabercat tamer

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. But I will continue to click where I please. Thanks tho.

I also noticed how you spelled "break" as "brake". That was entirely way too clever. You're like the Innuendo-King or something.

actually it was a spelling mistake. you caught it, that's a good sign at least. seems though that you have some work to do in the assumption department, you appear to be paranoid

oHshiz

Quote:
actually it was a spelling mistake. you caught it, that's a good sign at least. seems though that you have some work to do in the assumption department, you appear to be paranoid

Ok. You made a spelling mistake. You're no longer the Innuendo-King.

Me paranoid? no. Just ready to handle sarcasm like a pro.

Triden

A lighter car is going to accelerate uphill or downhill faster than a heavier car with the same net force applied to the road. The basic equation for acceleration is F/m = a. To make the acceleration bigger, you make the mass smaller.

There are really too many variables to decide what happened in your case to determine why you won. Your car obviously had more torque on the road than the small car, and even though your car may be heavier, it probably has a larger power to weight ratio than the small car. That's basically what determines who wins the race. If you can keep traction and you have a bigger power/weight ratio, you'll probably win a race.

Putting two cars side by side on a track is totally different as the acceleration acting on them is constant at 9.81m/s^2 in the Y-component. When you hold the force constant that's where the acceleration will change and where mass comes into play. When you're talking gravity, mass has nothing to do with the acceration of the object because the acceleration is constant and the force is changing.

Last edited by Triden; 01-14-2007 at 11:54 PM..

oHshiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triden View Post
A lighter car is going to accelerate uphill or downhill faster than a heavier car with the same net force applied to the road. The basic equation for acceleration is F/m = a. To make the acceleration bigger, you make the mass smaller.

There are really too many variables to decide what happened in your case to determine why you won. Your car obviously had more torque on the road than the small car, and even though your car may be heavier, it probably has a larger power to weight ratio than the small car. That's basically what determines who wins the race. If you can keep traction and you have a bigger power/weight ratio, you'll probably win a race.

This all applies perfectly as long as the 2 cars have the same gear ratios and aerodynamics. I doubt either of those had a notable role in his case tho.

lopoetve

gravity is acceleration. you both get the same benefit from it
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Fear Night
Speed Limit?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post
gravity is acceleration. you both get the same benefit from it
But the force that pulls the car is multiplied by mass. This is why it's harder for a heavier car to go uphill because there is a greater force working against it.

F=ma or (Force of gravity) = (mass of car)*(acceleration of gravity)

For downhill yes they both get the same benefit. Two similar shaped objects when dropped will reach the ground at the same time, regardless of mass. The only big thing taken into account is air resistance (which I highly doubt Rang3 had the advantage on vs a Mazda 3 ).

Last edited by Fear Night; 01-15-2007 at 05:00 AM..

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

A couple already said it. It makes no difference.

You are still dealing with your motor overcoming your car's innertia. If your motor moves the weight of your car faster (uphill, downhill, sideways, whatever) then that's what will happen

Things like aerodynamics, rolling resistance (tire psi, bearings, dragging brakes, etc) will have more of an impact here, since both of you are on the same hill, being helped by the same gravity.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to know how (always learning!) but I'm fairly certain even at 4 am I'm seeing this correctly.