General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

d114

I helped a buddy diagnose the m40 in his e30 the other day. Turned out to be a faulty IAC. He's spent a pretty penny in maintenance over the past six months.

I tried to show him that it's actually possible to have a reliable, easy to work on, and affordable BMW:

Unfortunately, the basic concept of having a car whose cooling system won't explode cannot be understood by a very large proportion of BMW owners. I still don't understand why the water pump had to be made out of plastic.

I guess it wasn't really a mod, in that case. Just the replacement of an IAC.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

grjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
I helped a buddy diagnose the m40 in his e30 the other day. Turned out to be a faulty IAC. He's spent a pretty penny in maintenance over the past six months.

I tried to show him that it's actually possible to have a reliable, easy to work on, and affordable BMW:

Unfortunately, the basic concept of having a car whose cooling system won't explode cannot be understood by a very large proportion of BMW owners. I still don't understand why the water pump had to be made out of plastic.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post

You don't think Ford, Chrysler and Chevy use plastic impellers? I did my friend's Chrysler a couple months ago - plastic impeller. Pretty much all new cars do this.

Plastic impellers are lighter, don't corrode and can be molded more accurately to be more efficient. They also last as long as the metal ones do believe it or not, barring a few early cases when an untested plastic was used.

For the record a V8, ford or LS1 in an e30 is a really shitty idea. Like people at Vorschlag found out. It's just not a good chassis for a lot of power. It's for sale by the way.

ScHpAnKy
The only place you can get milk in a bag.

drove it today
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
drove it today
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Fuck yea bro. Sounds bad ass, love it. Any driveability issues?

No burnout?

[H]ard|On

Ps sell it to me once you iron everything out

ScHpAnKy
The only place you can get milk in a bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

No burnout?

nah, it didn't rev over 2k in that vid and it's deafeningly loud... I gotta register it on wednesday and install an exhaust... right now it's just headers dumping below the passenger side door, lol

as for driveability issues, I need to install my coilovers and new strut bearings to get rid of the the binding in the steering, the '95 e36 m3 rack with the e30 tie rods and spacers gives me INSANE wheel angle, I can't wait to get it sideways!

As for selling... hmmm, I'll trade for a clean 318is, that's it, though :P

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
nah, it didn't rev over 2k in that vid and it's deafeningly loud... I gotta register it on wednesday and install an exhaust... right now it's just headers dumping below the passenger side door, lol

as for driveability issues, I need to install my coilovers and new strut bearings to get rid of the the binding in the steering, the '95 e36 m3 rack with the e30 tie rods and spacers gives me INSANE wheel angle, I can't wait to get it sideways!

As for selling... hmmm, I'll trade for a clean 318is, that's it, though :P

lol deal. Except you probably won't after you drive it some What did you pay for that motor if you don't mind me asking?

gribly

New exhaust on the Mazda and re-wired a turn signal. Now hopefully it will sell.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

No burnout?

Nah, cuz his cooling system exploded

And, what I got when I searched for "BMW cooling system explodes":

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

[H]ard|On

It's actually not so funny to people that had that happen.... The E36/E39 mechanical fans have been known to assplode and should be checked for cracks every oil change

One of the popular mods is the "Fan Delete" - you simply remove the mechanical fan and use the electric fan on the front of the radiator alone. i still have both of my fans.... Been wanting to take it out a while now - mechanical fans suck donkey balls IMO, i don't know why BMW used them up until E46 Plus this happens when they shatter (when something gets inside for example)

Not just hood dents either, it goes every which way

Jehannum

BMW used the mechanical fan because they move a fuckload more air than any electric fan available. It's the mathematically superior solution, they just implemented it badly.

Using the mechanical fan allows them to get away with at least 1 less row in the radiator than should otherwise be possible. When Nissan did it, it allowed them to use a 1-row radiator in the Z32 (stock 300HP, twin turbo, large cooling demand). Never seen a Z fan explode, though. Must be that crappy German plastic.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

I've never seen a mechanical fan blade failure before either (Nissan experience), though the clutches tend to wear out after many years of use. I went to dual electric fans on my 240sx and never was bothered again, but there is really nothing wrong with a durable mechanical fan. I'm surprised to see the fan failures on the Bimmers, though the plastic definitely appears to be different from that of the Japanese units I've seen.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
BMW used the mechanical fan because they move a fuckload more air than any electric fan available. It's the mathematically superior solution, they just implemented it badly.

Using the mechanical fan allows them to get away with at least 1 less row in the radiator than should otherwise be possible. When Nissan did it, it allowed them to use a 1-row radiator in the Z32 (stock 300HP, twin turbo, large cooling demand). Never seen a Z fan explode, though. Must be that crappy German plastic.

It doesn't move more air than "any electric" it was simply redundancy because the world was only starting to switch to electrics. Some people (rednecks) believed a mechanical fan to be more reliable.

For instance now they are all electrics.

"Mathematically" mechanical fans are WORSE because electrics operate in one range of efficiency for which they are designed.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
I've never seen a mechanical fan blade failure before either (Nissan experience), though the clutches tend to wear out after many years of use. I went to dual electric fans on my 240sx and never was bothered again, but there is really nothing wrong with a durable mechanical fan. I'm surprised to see the fan failures on the Bimmers, though the plastic definitely appears to be different from that of the Japanese units I've seen.

I've seen it when people do things to their engine (add/move/remove/modify something) and then the engine shifts just a little while driving and WHACK shit literally hits the fan

On that era of BMWs that first gen brittle plastic combined with years of heat and fatigue, usually with a seized clutch - it doesn't really have to hit anything They've switched the plastic type since, so no more fan or impeller failures.

As the story goes they chose that original shitty type of plastic because it was more rigid. All my asian cars had fans you could bend/flex a fair amount. These ones snap.