General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

skinnymickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan8869 View Post
what are you planning on growing?

medicine and food

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

skinnymickey

ok so im about to finish the chamber. im using a water jet cutter to cut the holes for the baskets to rest and the plants to go through.

i also plan on incorporating aquaponics in correlation.

with the tilapia fish creating waste. the bulk will be filtered and the water with nutes will go to the plants. the bulk will be collected and turned in my soil for my garden beds outside.

will post updated later today or this weekend.

Forever Domon

I envy you having tools like that around (water jet cutters, etc)

skinnymickey

this is the new model for the cultivation process...

skinnymickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by domonbaylespam View Post
I envy you having tools like that around (water jet cutters, etc)

all the more reason to stay buisy i guess. but it sucks sometimes cause i get really ahead of myself and i have to realize they arent my tools so i have to really schedule when i can use them

skinnymickey

ok so i addded suport joints on the chamber

cut holes in the lid and ran zip tie through it

then purchased some irrigation lines from a hardware store and tethered it to the lid

i added fogger tip that will really chop the water into a really fine mist

the misters will be aimed directly at the roots

drilled a hole for the water going in

added a pump to return the water to the reserve

and we're done

after i get this running i will later incorporate the fish after i build the pond....... to be continued

MuffinMan8869

so you don't need to use fertilizers in this aeroponics setup, cause wouldn't that kill the fish?

skinnymickey

Quote:
so you don't need to use fertilizers in this aeroponics setup, cause wouldn't that kill the fish?

precisely all you use is good organic fish food. then nature does the rest. keep the fish happy and the plants will be happy then the plants will make the fish happy by returning oxygen and other biproducts to fish.

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnymickey View Post
precisely all you use is good organic fish food. then nature does the rest. keep the fish happy and the plants will be happy then the plants will make the fish happy by returning oxygen and other biproducts to fish.

Im not really knowledgeable about aeroponics so excuse the ignorance. But since you are using fish and fish food for the system, wouldn't it be just as easy or more efficient to just do a hydroponics system.

or is this because of issues with the fish possibly eating the roots.

skinnymickey

Quote:
Im not really knowledgeable about aeroponics so excuse the ignorance. But since you are using fish and fish food for the system, wouldn't it be just as easy or more efficient to just do a hydroponics system.

or is this because of issues with the fish possibly eating the roots.

no. we want to collect a bi product of the fish waste. which is why they are in their own tank.
the sludge build up of fish poop will be as good as worm castings (high in nitrogen) for a mix in my compost or my other soil mixtures. having a detached vessel from the plants creates easier maintenance. which is why im still at the drawing board for an effective fish tank. i also need to figure out which breed of fish i can use.

right now this is considered hydro because i went with sprayers/misters.
but if i want to go aero all i have to do is add fogger tablets to the reserve tank and just have the pump push the air inside of the reserve instead of the water then i will have aero...so i can go either way.

which reminds me i had to change the pump out from a 130gph to a 500 gph water/air pump its a two in one kind of pump.

demosh

You should black out the sides of the root space pot. Light + moisture is a sure recipe for mold and stuff, which you don't really want messing up your plants' roots.

skinnymickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosh View Post
You should black out the sides of the root space pot. Light + moisture is a sure recipe for mold and stuff, which you don't really want messing up your plants' roots.

oh i know im gonna have that part in darkness but when i want to check out the roots its going to be nice to have the visibility for check ups.

im going to have it wrappe din towels or im going to build a stand or some kind of tare away cover or a skirt something.....