General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Pudah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectrex View Post
Right - but how many are willing to sell that $3200 laptop for $1100? The day after my buddies was stolen? With only the laptop & power cord? (the thing is like 2 months old you're going to tell me you don't have ANY of the CDs or a box or anything?)

Or how about a Canon EOS 20D camera for $200?

It's not that hard to tell that shit is stolen.

I didn't end up going out last night to meet up with this guy but some other people did. Interested to hear how it went.

I see what you're saying, but it would be pretty fucking stupid to beat the shit out of a guy, get the shit beat out of you, or get shot on such an assumption. Maybe it's stolen from someone else. Maybe he's hard up for money. Maybe he's a moron. Maybe you're right... MAYBE. You need to be sure before you start throwing around serious accusations. If it is so cut and dry, and obviously stolen, and you can prove it, the police will help you. My car was broken into once and the cops tracked down and offered to return to me a cell phone charger. I think these generalizations of the police are off quite a but and not fair. It's true that some of them have better things to do, but some do only things like this all day, every day. You're just not willing to try. If vigilante justice is necessary you need to be a little smarter and proactive about it, but nothing is going to happen here except for talk anyway, so I don't know why Im bothering to comment.

Founding [M]ember of the Blizzard in my sig club.
Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Abu-mk2

you should act rash and violently. so that way he'll act rash and violently next time he sees you!
"I think we have the makings of a new star..." sanjay

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

fucking the guy up is just going to get you in trouble and prevent you from getting the rest of your stuff back. its a stupid fucking idea. if it is him, he knows where you live.

chances are good that this isnt even your laptop.

call the number immediately and offer to pay full price and arrange a meeting so it doesnt get moved.

scenario a: ask the seller where he's located, and where ever it is, say "oh, im in the area, could i just stop by your place?" have a friend go with you to the meeting, tell the seller hes a tech guy or something. verify that its your macbook by looking for personal files or a serial number. if its at the seller's place, keep a lax eye out for more of your stuff. do not under any circumstances discuss with the seller or your friend what is or isnt your stuff until after youve left the premises. tell the seller youll take it and you need to go to the bank to get the money. go, confer with your friend. if it is your laptop, then call the cops. you now have the fuckers home address as well as a matching serial number, and he may even have some more of your stuff which you (should have) already reported stolen by now. if it isnt yours, tell the seller you changed your mind.

scenario b: he wont meet you at his place. same shit, bring a friend, check for matching serial number or personal files. tell the seller youll take it and need to go to the bank. if it is yours, call the cops. if not, tell the seller you changed your mind.

pie.

-e- obviously for this to work, youre going to need to memorize part of the serial numbers. pulling out a piece of paper and checking would be a move.

Last edited by chuckybob; 02-09-2010 at 12:30 AM..

dk again

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
fucking the guy up is just going to get you in trouble and prevent you from getting the rest of your stuff back. its a stupid fucking idea. if it is him, he knows where you live.

call the number immediately and offer to pay full price and arrange a meeting so it doesnt get moved.

scenario a: ask the seller where he's located, and where ever it is, say "oh, im in the area, could i just stop by your place?" have a friend go with you to the meeting, tell the seller hes a tech guy or something. verify that its your macbook by looking for personal files or a serial number. if its at the seller's place, keep a lax eye out for more of your stuff. do not under any circumstances discuss with the seller or your friend what is or isnt your stuff until after youve left the premises. tell the seller youll take it and you need to go to the bank to get the money. go, confer with your friend. if it is your laptop, then call the cops. you now have the fuckers home address as well as a matching serial number, and he may even have some more of your stuff which you (should have) already reported stolen by now. if it isnt yours, tell the seller you changed your mind.

scenario b: he wont meet you at his place. same shit, bring a friend, check for matching serial number or personal files. tell the seller youll take it and need to go to the bank. if it is yours, call the cops. if not, tell the seller you changed your mind.

pie.

-e- obviously for this to work, youre going to need to memorize part of the serial numbers. pulling out a piece of paper and checking would be a move.

Pudah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post

pie.

You could put the number on your phone and pretend you got a text message while you're looking at it.

Founding [M]ember of the Blizzard in my sig club.
Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612

hider

meet up with him with 5 of your friends and check if its your friend's laptop for sure. If so, then jump him and call the cops.

acidfast7

police report and insurance. it should be covered under homeowners insurance. if your buddy is really buying 3200usd laptops, shouldn't he/she spend 80usd/year on insurance? common sense, am i right?

oh no wait, i have a better idea, it's much better to instigate a physical confrontation with known felons who already know where he/she/you live ... much better plan

Vectrex

The laptop was sold already. I mentioned that earlier. Obviously we'd arrange to meet up and buy it if that was still an option.

Police report was filed the night he was robbed. That was also mentioned earlier. My friend called on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to report what he found - but he was told every time the detective assigned to his case was out for the day.

He doesn't have homeowners insurance - he rents a room for $300/m in the middle of Seattle (which means it's a shit hole) and makes music. That's why the loss of the laptop is pretty huge (he was mixing the final tracks of his new record - it's all gone now).

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectrex View Post

He doesn't have homeowners insurance - he rents a room for $300/m in the middle of Seattle (which means it's a shit hole) and makes music. That's why the loss of the laptop is pretty huge (he was mixing the final tracks of his new record - it's all gone now).

not to be an ass, but why live like an bum and spend 3200USD on a laptop. At a minimum, get a tiny bit less memory and pay for the insurance. also, why not have a back-up? i guess i can't feel that sorry.

my computers are backed-up every hour to a time capsule hidden away in a different room, just in case someone steals them, and i don't lose years of research. theft from unis is really shitty but quite common.

oh well, lesson learned the hard way, maybe the album will be better the second time around?