General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Gtwy

HTPC Build help! Cancelled cable television in favor of do-it-yourself-programming

Cancelled my cable television service on Friday. Going to be hooking up an HDPC to my television and just streaming 1080p x264 encodes to it. I also would like the ability to play real bluray movies, although I somehow doubt that this will happen often. I want to make sure my hardware is going to be sufficient to play 1080p (some slower hardware can lag). My operating system is most likely going to be Windows 7, unless there is a better HDPC OS you guys suggest. Also, the wife will probably want to surf Hulu, youtube and other various online video services with it.

Motherboard: Intel BOXDH55TC LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX
CPU: Intel Core i5-650 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core
RAM: 4GB (4x1GB) Crucial Ballistix 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Hard drives: Up to 3 Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB Internal Hard Drives
Optical drive: LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal

The goal would be to start with one hard drive, but be able to have up to 3 (providing ~6TB of storage space.)

This motherboard does not come with integrated video. The two things I didn't figure out and need help with:[*]Low-noise case for this system that can keep it cool and fit all of my parts[*]A video card that will fit in said case that can provide hardware decoding for BD/x264. DVI output is preferred, since I have the DVI to HDMI cable.

Also, do you think I am going in the right direction with this? Could I get away with a cheaper motherboard/cpu if I get a good HD decoding video card?

Thanks in advance. 8-)

PS - just a thought: these 1080p encodes are all non-copyright material. I promise.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

zeos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtwy View Post
[*]A video card that will fit in said case that can provide hardware decoding for BD/x264.

you didn't actually mention what case you had, but something like this should do you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127454

Gtwy

Isn't giving me an option to edit my post. Looks like the word wrap screwed up my 2 bullet points. I need a case recommendation as well. Thanks

_mike_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtwy View Post
Also, do you think I am going in the right direction with this? Could I get away with a cheaper motherboard/cpu if I get a good HD decoding video card?

yep. but is this the computer that will actually be doing the x264 encodes? if yes, then keep the fast cpu. if not, then get something cheaper.

Viremia
Mental Pygmy

FYI, the term used for the computer you are building is HTPC (home theater PC)

anyway, that's not important. if you want some good suggestions on good equipment to do what you want, look at the AVS forums. A person by the name renethx posts some great guides

here's a link to his latest suggestions:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17591247

I used his guide last fall to build a great, quiet HTPC to record cable TV, watch blu-ray DVDs and rips, and watch online video streams. My biggest concern was a quiet case that wouldn't look out of place in an AV rack. I wound up with an Antec Fusion Remote Black. It has 120mm fans which are much quieter than the 60mm fans in my old HTPC case.

Gtwy

Thanks, will look at what he has to say.

Ya, after I posted this I figured out it was actually HTPC. Oops.

eramus
rm -rf /etc

I picked up one of these recently for an HTPC that I built:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811204035

It has plenty of space, seems well constructed and looks great next to my other equipment. Youll need to get a PSU for it though.

edit: thread title updated