General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Praxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselstation View Post
well this sucks. mine didn't want to install Win7 correctly. Installed from DVD, and it wouldn't boot without the DVD in the drive. (wtf?) Same issue with installing through USB thumb drive. like.. it's not writing the boot sector correctly or something?

ugh. gonna get the OCZ.

I saw that on a system I built I forgot what I did to fix it I think I just did a repair and it worked never really looked into it though. It was on a regular old seagate though.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

jackal

A pretty substantial majority of you here seem to be jumping on this boat - I must be missing something in terms of my understanding...

How is wear leveling being handled on these SSDs? Won't these drives burn themselves out?

I understand the implicit value in say, using one of these drives for your pagefile on a high end system....but the cost/benefit/risk analysis doesn't really add up for me.

Are those of you running these drives running them PCI or SATA?

dieselstation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
A pretty substantial majority of you here seem to be jumping on this boat - I must be missing something in terms of my understanding...

How is wear leveling being handled on these SSDs? Won't these drives burn themselves out?

I understand the implicit value in say, using one of these drives for your pagefile on a high end system....but the cost/benefit/risk analysis doesn't really add up for me.

well.. they're rated at more then a Million hours, while a normal internal disk hd is rated at around 750K hours. not sure what real world ratings are, but i'm SURE i'll have moved onto something new/bigger/faster at my normal upgrade rate.. which is about 2 years.

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post

The risk of a catastrophic failure is much, much lower. There are no heads to crash, no disks to grind, no sensitive motors to fry. It's all just regular run of the mill silicon. Wear leveling is a concern and a major part of the algorithms that are used in those drives, but worn flash is not going to eat 80gb of data at once. If you are ever going to lose data over it, it's going to be a 4kb block, or 512kb at most, after which you'd probably want to dump the entire drive's contents on a newer and faster one. Anyway, if it's such a concern, you can always backup the SSD on a regular (and much cheaper) HD.

That Fudging Guy
I'm watching you

i love my triple raid 0 setup. mechanic hdd's but they are short stroked.

best part is in l4d2 loading a map i am always first by at least 15 seconds so i always take all the good shit like pills, pipe bombs etc

edplayer
no

Do you heal yourself first then grab another health pack?

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

DigitalChaos

you bought your shit too soon man

Headed to retail in 512GB, 1TB and 2TB configurations, the p88 organizes pairs of Toshiba NAND modules into four discrete banks, each with its own dedicated Indilinx controller. The four controllers are striped downstream by an onboard LSI RAID controller.

The performance of this configuration is so fast that ATTO cannot record the drive’s speed when testing sustained transfers with block sizes larger than 512k.

Users who buy into lower capacity models can later expand the capacity of their p88 by buying larger NAND modules, or by purchasing a riser board which offers room for eight more DIMMs.

OCZ reports that retail availability will begin soon, and that the blistering 1300MBps read/1200MBps write performance can be yours for $800-$1800, depending on capacity.

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
you bought your shit too soon man

Headed to retail in 512GB, 1TB and 2TB configurations, the p88 organizes pairs of Toshiba NAND modules into four discrete banks, each with its own dedicated Indilinx controller. The four controllers are striped downstream by an onboard LSI RAID controller.

The performance of this configuration is so fast that ATTO cannot record the drive’s speed when testing sustained transfers with block sizes larger than 512k.

Users who buy into lower capacity models can later expand the capacity of their p88 by buying larger NAND modules, or by purchasing a riser board which offers room for eight more DIMMs.

OCZ reports that retail availability will begin soon, and that the blistering 1300MBps read/1200MBps write performance can be yours for $800-$1800, depending on capacity.
price will be ridiculous though. I doubt that 800-1800 very much