General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Computer grinds to a halt during large file operations

So I am trying to move about 650 gigs of data onto a 1tb drive using SyncToy. Even if I used plain old explorer to make the copy the same thing happens.

The transfer will start off stronger, and then out of the blue 35 seconds after the first large file is copied the system grinds to a halt. It will work in like bursts, the mouse will move and stop, move and stop. Looking into task manager when I manage to get it open shows the cpu cycle from 0 - 100% like a damn light switch.

Soon as I stop the transfer everything goes back to normal.

I disabled avast, disabled file indexing, tried doing it in safe mode. Same shit.

One hard drive is connected via ESATA, the other is connected directly to the motherboard, both drives on the same controller.

This is on Windows 7.

I have no idea what it is, and its killing driving me up the wall.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

hider

hard drive is too busy reading/writing? Happens to me a lot...

edplayer
no

Do you only have one drive in the computer (apart from the one connected by ESATA)?

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

trumpcard

I find this tends to happen with a faulty SATA cable. You should check the drive with a known good cable connected directly internally.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Trumpcard is right, last night I said fuck it and connected it in place of my DVD rom and magically it all started to work. Acronis actually tipped me off, it gave me an error like "device connection lost" and I immediately knew it was the cable. It was actually connected via the E-SATA bracket with an E-SATA -> SATA converter cable that I got with my mobo.

Eitherway, I stayed up till 3am and everything went smoothly. Moved all the data in a matter of hours without a hitch.

I just dont understand how a cable can half way work, thats gay.

CDX74

try using teracopy when you're copying that much data too, should be a bit faster and hopefully not crap out.

KorruptioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDX74 View Post
try using teracopy when you're copying that much data too, should be a bit faster and hopefully not crap out.

Any way to disable the context menu entry? I don't think I see an option in there.

Skywing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I just dont understand how a cable can half way work, thats gay.

I had a system with a 3 drive RAID 5 that had a constantly failing drive, finally got around to swapping the cable and it hasnt failed since.

Stereodude

I prefer FastCopy over Terracopy.