General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

thanks for all the positive comments

you know, I never really considered removing the battery tray, it's a pretty good idea, the parts car is supposed to have a trunk battery kit in it that I can probably make work in my car and that tray is pretty ugly. i'm going to tear that shit out tomorrow.

I had NO luck in spokane today 2 junkyards and one really crushed up rabbit later I had NO luck at all for finding the few things I was out looking for.

mainly the front rad support and the rear discs & a front windshield. I'm going to buy a new rad support and get it shipped in, getting rear discs from a friend and i'll pick up a windshield in portland (had one pulled last weekend just wasn't sure it was going to fit as it was from a cabrio, it will)

tomorrow will be a rich full day of sanding, oh joy!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

VB

the journey continues!!! make a website for the car while you're doing this!

http://www.rottenpuppets.com - My hobby and expression of mental illness.

lgbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongboy
I had NO luck in spokane today 2 junkyards and one really crushed up rabbit later I had NO luck at all for finding the few things I was out looking for.
Hehe, I could have told you our junkyards REALLY SUCK! They're completely worthless.

1991 Honda CBR 600 F2
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Diesel

WireX

I <3 this thread and your resolve for this car. can't wait to see it up and running with a nice paint job.

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

first coat of paint is FUCKING DONE

10 hours of work today to get it there but i'm pretty happy with how it came out, the only part I had issues with was the roof, I made the mistake of doing it last I think another coat of paint will fix it. pic and details once the roommate dumps his camera

I LOVE THE COLOR

SlimDady

cant wait

The Spyder

hurry up!
lol

How did you learn to paint? Are there any good guides out there?

I only got a few things done today, had other stuff preoccupy me.

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

big update tonight so bear with me

the back area after I vacuumed all that damn sand out

front area after I vacuumed all the sand and water out, yeah, it rained again...

see you in hell battery tray and your way too many spot welds

hi2u surface rust

much better

washed the whole car with that concoction the spyder was talking about in his FD thread nad it worked awesome. sanded all the little issue areas and patched and what not - i'm not going for show quality but I did fix any glaring issues I then taped the inside off (i'm going to bedliner the trunk and sound deaden the cabin so I don't need to bother painting either area. I also taped off the head liner

I HATE MASKING, it is definately the least fun thing i've done so far on this car (and I had just vacuumed almost a 5gallon bucket of sand earlier today...)

front fenders taped off, I almost said screw it while doing this, SO ANNOYING. but I think in the end i'll be glad I did it.

Last edited by Dongboy; 06-18-2006 at 11:05 PM..

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

I then proceeded to plastic off the front and back of my paint booth, wet down the floor and check my compressor, gun and mask for operating.

I thinned my trustey rustoleum and tack clothed the entire car while looking for anything i'd forgotten.

I then setup to spray, the gun says to hold it 10-12" from the surface but I had to go more like 3-4 to get any sort of paint transfer. it was a super small pattern but it went on pretty well. I obviously didn't stop to get any pictures during the process so these are after cleanup. I think I did a damn good job for this being the first time picking up a HVLP gun.

I was initially scared becuase it looked like it was orange peeling pretty bad when it initially went on but then it seemed to all settle out so I relaxed.

the roof has some issues, I did it last and it was getting dark and my glasses were coated in paint from the rest of the car and etc. i'm betting another coat tomorrow applied carefully will solve the problems with it.

the backside, looks like I missed that small crack along the rear. the flash white balanced the gray to look a little lighter then it is in person, it's a delicious deep gray

straight on with the flash

no flash = smooth finish, the paint was beyond tacky at this point, so it wasn't just liquid glare, which i'm happy about.

the liney roof

I couldn't get all the way up in the rain try, i'm thinking i'm not going to worry about it too much since the plastic piece will cover it, i might just spray in there with the gray primer to get it atleast close. I also had issues with the rear of the front strut towers, the gun didn't fit and it didn't spray far enough to get the whole area. my solution: spray a bunch of paint back there until it looked alright.

the image bay made crappy looking by the ever honest flash. another coat should even it up but I didn't think it looked as bad in person as compared to the uneveness shown in the pic. you can see the back of the rain tray I couldn't get at.

coat two tomorrow and the hood, and if I have enough time the doors too!

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spyder
hurry up!
lol

How did you learn to paint? Are there any good guides out there?

I only got a few things done today, had other stuff preoccupy me.

uh, I read the instruction manual for the cheapie gun I got (poorly translated almost useless harbor freight FTW) and went to town.

started adjusting the gun and getting the hang of it by painting a few foot section of the plastic and then went to the rear of the car and broke my painting cherry. going with rustoleum means if I screwup I can just repaint it - with auto paint you don't get that liberty, maybe get a small can of paint and paint some plastic or wood to get the hang of the gun?

Stealthmode
needs moar stealhmode

im grateful for the updates
i can't wait till you start putting the engine in.

RobCrezz

awesome awesome awesome!

Lincoln Hawk

I am RIDICULOUSLY jealous........

Hoping to try something similar with my $50 jetta

REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

Eating's Not Cheating.

I'm real gator.

rabbitfacedkilla

Awesome job so far! A friend and I (mostly friend doing the spraying) did the $50 paintjob with an hvlp gun in flatblack on one of my civic's.. For a 2-coater rustoleum job it looks not half bad. Keep up the good work!

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

good updates! very