General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Izanagi

Nice progress since I last read this thread.

I was surfing ebay and found a Rabbit pickup who knew http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-CA...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, In Renton I a Beetle with a little wood truck bed hacked in.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

ordered the frontened sheet metal and the coilovers are on their way

today is install the windshield and doors day

and if i'm lucky get the engine out of hte parts car

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

another evening update

didn't do much today but have a lot left to do, if that makes any sense

put the rear end back together. I think it looks SUPER hawt in the new color. part of the bottom of the trunk needs to be repainted (another victim of hte falling over :rolleyes).... but all together it looks good

picked up the new windshield too, well used but it's still good

some more parts from teh weekend spent junkyarding. rear beam with sway bar. power steering rack off a 'rocco + hoses and reservoir

and the front sway bar, cost me 10 bucks, way better then the 25-30 people wanted to charge me

car as it sits, now with both front doors on

side shot

so i'm kind of confused when it comes to the windhshield seal, I've got one groove on one side and like 3 on the other, not sure which side gets the glass and which groove gets the press weld

renting the engine hoist tomorrow to get the donor engine out of the donor car to get a handle on the damage i'm dealing with and plan on getting the rear beam reconnected to the car. suspension is in the mail so I should be able to have it back on the original wheels in a week and off the cinder blocks. going to try and pick up some wheels in teh mean time but not to hopeful with such a small time span. more tomorrow

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

got the engine out of the jetta yesterday

plan was to work late and get the bottom end taken apart but when I went to put hte engine on the table I was going to use the table split in half that was fun catching the engine and the table all at once.

I'll know after work the damage

Izanagi

new engine

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

just finished stripping the engine!

only obvious damage is a single bent rod and the obvious fucked piston.

pics once I dump teh camera!

Ultrabrite

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongboy

No head damage? Awesome!

Those pistons look wierd if you never have seen a diesel one before.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

Izanagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongboy

It was apart and fell, crap

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223
No head damage? Awesome!

Those pistons look wierd if you never have seen a diesel one before.

head was removed before I bought the car, it is totally pristine

the worst damage is to the turbo, it still spins but DAMN i've never seen so much shaft play, its crazy. never did find the piece of the piston though scoring is non existant on the block, going to drop it off hopefully tomorrow to get it inspected as well as all the pistons and rods

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

alright, i've got the pics from last night, slacker is off drinking at the bar with his cam with the pics from tonight on it.

Pulling the engine:
after pulling most of the wiring away from the engine and getting the obvious loose items out of the engine bay it was time for the stuff that isn't fun to remove. Notably, the goddamn axles, my least favorite part of VW's

disconnected all the tranny linkage (<3 cable shift, SO EASY) and that huge goddamn wiring harrness

turbo off the car. it spun but holy damn the slop was unbelieveable. I think if I dissected I could find the piston piece in there

yeah, that mount off the starter didn't hold too long, hope it diesn't hold anything important...

moved the hoist to the tranny mount and it held no problems. motor was getting hung up on teh master cylinder but I was able to knock it off of it wihtout any damage to either side

another empty engine bay in the yard

the engine next to the garage. I ended up seperating the tranny before it got dark. and yes, I did do the whole process in flip flops.

pics from tonight as soon as slacker is back (probably tomorrow becuase I need to sleep) look forward to seeing that bent rod!

Cantonese

greatest
thread
EVarrrr

Stealthmode
needs moar stealhmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantonese
greatest
thread
EVarrrr

yup, does automay get a vault?

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantonese
greatest
thread
EVarrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthmode
yup, does automay get a vault?

thanks guys

pics from engine tear down from tonight

I didn't get any pics of my getting the engine onto the stand but it was an exciting journey as I did it entirely by myself. I dropped the oil pan and braced the crank and took off the flywheel so I could get the engine stand bracket on the proper bolt holes and then kind of leaned the engine hoist down and rolled it back upright with the engine attached, a poor way to do it but slacker was passsed out at the time and didn't want to help.

by the time I got to pics I had already dropped the oil pump (<3 tension on the chain) and the bottom end becuase I was eager to find out the damage

yes, the garage is about as dirty as it looks but only about 1/2 of it is from the car project. I cleaned off a big area and layed plastic down to keep all the dirty off the important pieces

the important pieces for the most part intact, which i'm very happy about. it's so refreshing to take a part a relatively new engine, no frozen screws!

the damage, this is the #2, no that isn't a weird angle, thats a bent rod. I"m hoping the rod took all the brunt and the crank isn't out of round.

the chunk of the piston missing (still the #2) never did find the piece anywhere, although I suspect its somewhere in the turbo. you can see that it went all the way down to the first ring. no obvious scoring on the cylinder wall though!

the now empty block (with accessories still) all the cylinders are pretty smooth, a hair of cross hatching in a few areas but a lot of miles on the block. i'm hoping it lives up to its diesel blood and is still tight, if not it's getting bored and sleeved.

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

more parts as the accessories come off

the front bracket pretty much holds all teh accessories to the engine and came off in one piece. I can't imagine what a PIA it would be to take the alternator out while its in the car though.

the design of the water pump on these is IMO totally awesome. this one feels a little gritty so i'll be ordering a new one with the engine rebuild parts

the bare block still on the stand. from on the ground in the garage to bare block in about 4 hours without rushing anything, it's SO much easier when you do it right with the engine stand

pulled the block off the stand (have to return the stand tomorrow, i'm renting everything because all my tools are in portland for the most part ) it's a lot more manageable without all that shit inside it.

block is getting dropped off at a local machine shop tomorrow assuming I can make it there before they close to get inspected, pressure tested,etc as well as the good pistons to make sure they are useable. I expect the verdict to be good though. i'm very happy that I only have to worry about stuffing one cylinder with new hardware as the diesel stuff ain't cheap.

waiting on some of the big ticket items to come in and i'll be getting more parts while i'm down in portland this weekend (last weekend, gotta hit the junkyards HARD)

more work will get done on monday and tuesday of next week, pics as always