General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother
 
TheMorlock's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI View Post
Following through with "be fruitful and multiply" to the point that it wrecks the planet isn't exactly being good stewards. What's more, in the context of the Bible, the commandment to multiply isn't clearly given to all humanity for all time. Not everything said in the Bible is meant to be followed for all time.

Maybe he wants us to fill up the galaxy and universe?
__________________
There is nothing to worry about. Legions of wise people with nothing but all of best interests at heart are ensuring our future of love and infinite bliss. Go watch TV :Bflaps
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=572323
Old 09-21-2007, 03:49 PM TheMorlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
#136  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Soybomb
 
Quote:
I believe in God, I'm willing to take that leap of faith. An atheist who asserts that my God does not exist equally takes a leap of faith. Why? Because they can be proven wrong on the matter, yet are forming an opinion without sufficient information.
For some reason people think that religion automaticall deserves consideration without evidence. In all other issues we life we reject things with no evidence of existence as untrue. I can never prove there are no ghosts, unicorns, leprechaun, or invisible flying butt monkeys. Most people would feel pretty comfortable saying they don't exist though because there is no proof for them. Religion is sort of the ultimate incredible claim, there is no evidence of any supernatural anything actually being real, why is it not logical to reject the huge ball of supernatural and unlikely events that is god and a religion? It is no leap of faith, its an educated assumption until proven otherwise.
__________________
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it." - Related in someway to Voltaire probably.
Only the educated are free. --Epictetus
Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 PM Soybomb is offline  
Reply With Quote
#137  

PopeKevinI
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Maybe he wants us to fill up the galaxy and universe?

I don't see why not...but we've got some catching up to do, and could stand to have a static population while we do so.
__________________
THIS is your brain on drugs: "I'm not a positive thinker. I am a spiralling hexagonal vortex thinker that strobes multiple colors." -ry_goody
Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 PM PopeKevinI is offline  
Reply With Quote
#138  

möbiustrip
 
möbiustrip's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI View Post
I don't see why not...but we've got some catching up to do, and could stand to have a static population while we do so.
Setting aside that the Jewish God would intervene if your socks didn't match, half the planet's people are in Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...n_%28UN%29.svg

Inasumuch as religion is a popularity contest, missionary positions are more important than ever.
__________________
I personally believe that there has to be a law that limits the power of the supreme court. -- R@$T@M@N
Old 09-22-2007, 05:04 AM möbiustrip is offline  
Reply With Quote
#139  

Bukkakeboy
 
Bukkakeboy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI View Post
Following through with "be fruitful and multiply" to the point that it wrecks the planet isn't exactly being good stewards. What's more, in the context of the Bible, the commandment to multiply isn't clearly given to all humanity for all time. Not everything said in the Bible is meant to be followed for all time.

so how do you know what is to be followed forever and what not to?
__________________
fuck IRL

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy
Old 09-22-2007, 05:52 AM Bukkakeboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#140  

PopeKevinI
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
so how do you know what is to be followed forever and what not to?

Context is a good start. When you pull a short quote out of the Bible and use it to justify a given belief, it's pretty easy to ignore the meaning given to that quote by the text around it. I've seen a number of things stated as global commandments when in context they were part of a long list of instructions given to a certain person or group.
__________________
THIS is your brain on drugs: "I'm not a positive thinker. I am a spiralling hexagonal vortex thinker that strobes multiple colors." -ry_goody
Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 AM PopeKevinI is offline  
Reply With Quote
#141  

SnakeIRye
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkakeboy View Post
so how do you know what is to be followed forever and what not to?

That's easy! Cherry pick what sounds good for the given time/take them literally and throw away the bad and icky parts/say that they're metaphors/ say that they're out of context. I don't know what kind of metaphor you can get out of a story with chauvinism, genocide, xenophobia, rape or murder, but more power to them.
__________________
Remember kids: Don't do school, stay in milk and drink your drugs!
Darth Snake, Evil Jedi Motherfucker Overlord of the Executor
Old 09-22-2007, 01:34 PM SnakeIRye is offline  
Reply With Quote
#142  

Ralph
 
If there were a single valid argument against atheism the entire world would be converted instantly.

At least atheists all agree with each other though... theists have been killing each other over their different religious beliefs for thousands of years Fucking pathetic.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:16 PM Ralph is offline  
Reply With Quote
#143  

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If there were a single valid argument against atheism the entire world would be converted instantly.

At least atheists all agree with each other though... theists have been killing each other over their different religious beliefs for thousands of years Fucking pathetic.
Are you a moron in real life, or do you just play one on the internet?
__________________
Use Linux and BSD
Old 09-23-2007, 11:08 PM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#144  

Mamma Jamma
 
Mamma Jamma's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If there were a single valid argument against atheism the entire world would be converted instantly.

At least atheists all agree with each other though... theists have been killing each other over their different religious beliefs for thousands of years Fucking pathetic.

You fool!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


Don't think it won't happen.
__________________
The suspense is terrible. I hope it’ll last.

b4de59c95fdf3d7d67366b90837dea66 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:30 PM Mamma Jamma is offline  
Reply With Quote
#145  

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man
 
mofugger's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeIRye View Post
You didn't answer my previous post. An atheist who claims that the abrahamic god does not exist is making a "leap" yes, but one based on facts.

1.Nobody has ever been documented as born of a virgin
2.Nobody has ever been documented to rise from the dead
3.Nobody has ever been documented to perform maricles
4.Historians have little to no evidence for the existence of jesus.

Christianity looks pretty debunked. I wouldn't call that a leap of faith.

A god on the other hand, well that's a little trickier..


Depends on your definition of dead. With CPR, people technically return from the dead all the time.



had to play devil's advocate on that one. On a side note, Nobody has ever been able to disprove anything you just said either.
__________________
Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division
Old 09-24-2007, 06:14 AM mofugger is offline  
Reply With Quote
#146  

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeIRye View Post
1.Nobody has ever been documented as born of a virgin
2.Nobody has ever been documented to rise from the dead
3.Nobody has ever been documented to perform maricles
4.Historians have little to no evidence for the existence of jesus.

Christianity looks pretty debunked. I wouldn't call that a leap of faith.

You're a moron. You can't debunk Christianity without debunking the Bible itself. These things that you're bitching have never been documented, are all documented in the Bible.
__________________
Use Linux and BSD
Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 PM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#147  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
You're a moron. You can't debunk Christianity without debunking the Bible itself. These things that you're bitching have never been documented, are all documented in the Bible.
As dumb as that post was, I'm pretty sure the bible does a pretty good job of debunking itself in the first few chapters. Eyewitness accounts from a highly superstitious society aren't really very good "documentation" either, I mean I could print out a piece of paper saying I did all those things but I wouldn't say that was well documented.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:04 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#148  

PopeKevinI
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
As dumb as that post was, I'm pretty sure the bible does a pretty good job of debunking itself in the first few chapters.
If you view the Bible as a single all-or-nothing document, you're as much a part of the problem as the religious nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Eyewitness accounts from a highly superstitious society aren't really very good "documentation" either, I mean I could print out a piece of paper saying I did all those things but I wouldn't say that was well documented.
You're right that the Gospels aren't particularly good documentation, but to claim that something is not documented by dismissing the only account of it is absurd. No, we have no scientific record of some of the things attributed to Jesus...but isn't that what would make them so special? If all those things were "documented" they wouldn't be miracles.
__________________
THIS is your brain on drugs: "I'm not a positive thinker. I am a spiralling hexagonal vortex thinker that strobes multiple colors." -ry_goody
Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM PopeKevinI is offline  
Reply With Quote
#149  

ieyeasu
 
ieyeasu's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
You can't debunk Christianity without debunking the Bible itself.

I really don't know how I feel about that statement.

I mean, what the Bible is differs according to what kind of Christian you ask, nevermind asking a Buddhist or a Hindu.
__________________
www.pizzasaucerecipe.org
Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 PM ieyeasu is offline  
Reply With Quote
#150  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.