General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

M-Unit
Master-B and is gay lover Jumbypunk = OWNED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgg View Post
For around the same price there is an Acer aspire: 2nd gen i3, 4gb ram, 750gb HD, and geforce gt520m (with 1gb). But do I need that or is it overkill, and should i just go with something around 300€ (compaq with Pentium Dual-Core T4500 and integrated graphics, or similar)?

the core i series processors are super nice in laptops. Good speed, low heat and good battery life. I've been very impressed with my moms and my aunts.

If you don't game, as others have said, ignore the dedicated graphics card.

"All messages posted become the property of General Mayhem, LLC."

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

herrysmart

I think you should wait till September and then decide what to do?

JPF_

Me personally I would not get anything core i3. You're better off going with a c2quad machine.
I would pick something with a core i5 or better.

And fwiw, I know my above advice contradicts what I am saying now. But I have my IBM Thinkpad X120e for sale, its a dual core 1.6, 4gb mem, 320gb hdd, and amd 6310 graphics HD. Asking 320 shipped, 2 months old, and has warranty until next year. 11 inch widescreen with HDMI out.

edit: here is my thread in which I am selling it, 10 hours or there about of battery life on low settings with wifi on. Also for a few extra bucks I will send the dvd external drive too.
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=836785

Last edited by JPF_; 07-16-2011 at 12:31 PM..

Flumoxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post

http://sage.ucsc.edu/~wgscott/xtal/w...graphy_on_OS_X

anyone who needs MS Office and needs to do hardcore data processing runs OS X (not that actually do either).

Anyone who needs to do hardcore data processing doesn't use office.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flumoxed View Post
Anyone who needs to do hardcore data processing doesn't use office.

Well, they wouldn't use Office for the data processing, anyway. Presumably, they'd use Office to write the proposal that got the funding to collect that data.

To be honest, if you needed to do truly hardcore data processing, you'd use a supercomputer cluster or a CUDA/OpenCL box or something, using custom software that wouldn't run on a Mac anyway.

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF_ View Post
Me personally I would not get anything core i3. You're better off going with a c2quad machine.
I would pick something with a core i5 or better.

And fwiw, I know my above advice contradicts what I am saying now. But I have my IBM Thinkpad X120e for sale, its a dual core 1.6, 4gb mem, 320gb hdd, and amd 6310 graphics HD. Asking 320 shipped, 2 months old, and has warranty until next year. 11 inch widescreen with HDMI out.

edit: here is my thread in which I am selling it, 10 hours or there about of battery life on low settings with wifi on. Also for a few extra bucks I will send the dvd external drive too.
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=836785

uh, the 2nd gen i3 is about on par with the first gen i5. if you don't know what you're talking about you probably shouldn't be offering advice

JPF_

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_ask_why View Post
uh, the 2nd gen i3 is about on par with the first gen i5. if you don't know what you're talking about you probably shouldn't be offering advice

Oh, didn't see you mention sandy bridge.

MY BAD BRA OK?!!!

KorruptioN

Pissing match aside, Sandy Bridge's HD3000 graphics are pretty decent for non-gaming. Accelerates HD content just fine. It is as fast as the last-generation discrete solutions (like the Radeon 6370 for example) but without any battery/heat penalty. I'd recommend them.

I got a Dell Vostro 3450 for a friend with the i3-2310 and it's real damn nice for the price. Solid aluminum and plastic frame, very little flex anywhere, pretty fast, and under $500 Canadian when it's on sale. You can't get a better package than that for the money, I think. HP's build quality only impresses when you get to the corporate-class EliteBooks.

Don't get an Apple...