General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcW@teR View Post
yea, i'm guessing your mb is toast, though if you have another computer to test the drive on i'd definitely do that.

Resetting the CMOS will get it to respond to the power button, but it still won't boot, so it looks like the motherboard probably is fried. I'll try putting the HD in a different comp and see how it goes, I don't know if she even wants to bother with replacing the motherboard on this 8400, she'll probably just get a new one.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

hider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
no, it doesnt.

CMOS is called CMOS for a reason.

yes, it requires a battery

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe.../clearcmos.htm

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
Resetting the CMOS will get it to respond to the power button, but it still won't boot, so it looks like the motherboard probably is fried. I'll try putting the HD in a different comp and see how it goes, I don't know if she even wants to bother with replacing the motherboard on this 8400, she'll probably just get a new one.

You can have scrambled data in areas of the bios that the bios screen wont let you get to.

So it may have no valid settings for some hidden items. Thats why there is usually a safety power on/factory default option in the bios.

Boot to bios and select above option. Reboot. Go back into bios and select good options.

Hope it helps.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
no, it doesnt.

CMOS is called CMOS for a reason.

complementary metal oxide silicon. Has both p and n channel fets. And is volatile memory.

But removing he battery will not always completely clear cmos unless you leave the battery out for hours as the power supply will have residual voltage that keeps some voltage on the cmos line. The cmos can be stuck in an indeterminate state. The clear cmos jumper will not always work either.

One method that works well is to unplug the comp pull the cmos battery and then hit the on button. The psu will try to turn on. Fans may spin for a moment and drain the residual voltages.

JPF_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
complementary metal oxide silicon. Has both p and n channel fets. And is volatile memory.

But removing he battery will not always completely clear cmos unless you leave the battery out for hours as the power supply will have residual voltage that keeps some voltage on the cmos line. The cmos can be stuck in an indeterminate state. The clear cmos jumper will not always work either.

One method that works well is to unplug the comp pull the cmos battery and then hit the on button. The psu will try to turn on. Fans may spin for a moment and drain the residual voltages.

From what I was taught about it, you can take the battery out, unplug the power supply. And hold the power button in for around 30 seconds to get rid of any stray voltage. And wait a few hours, resets its.

I use this with most electronics and seems to work ok. Helps my cell phone out a lot.

root

You said it was a dell case right? May sound stupid but something similar happened to me. The power button just kept blinking yellow. I had to make sure the case was closed all the way. Has some kind of stupid censor on it.

JPF_

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
You said it was a dell case right? May sound stupid but something similar happened to me. The power button just kept blinking yellow. I had to make sure the case was closed all the way. Has some kind of stupid censor on it.

I agree, thank god there is a bios option for it though

Most MOBO's have this option, if the case does.

g|aSsJaw

I worked on it again a bit today. I got it to boot far enough to enter the set-up, made sure the boot sequence was right, made sure it was detecting the HD, etc. and all of that was fine, but it will still only boot as far as the "Start Windows Normally" option, and when I tell it to, it just keeps cycling through the start-up phase. I even reset everything to factory defaults and that's as far as it gets, so I guess something is fried with the motherboard?

Anyhow, I need to back-up her HD and transfer her files to a new computer so she can use it and access her stuff. What's the best way to go about it?

root

hook that hard-drive up as a slave onto the machine you're trying to back it up on and transfer the data over.

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
hook that hard-drive up as a slave onto the machine you're trying to back it up on and transfer the data over.

so even though it has an OS on it, it will read as a back-up basically if I change the jumper to the slave setting?

root

yeah if it's a sata hdd then just plug it into a sata port. If it's a PATA or IDE just put the jumper on CS or cable select. If you plug the drive your taking the data off of onto a different IDE cable it would transfer faster. Being that two devices can't talk at the same time while on one ribbon.

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
yeah if it's a sata hdd then just plug it into a sata port. If it's a PATA or IDE just put the jumper on CS or cable select. If you plug the drive your taking the data off of onto a different IDE cable it would transfer faster. Being that two devices can't talk at the same time while on one ribbon.

It's a SATA drive. I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks!

Typhoon43

9 out of 10 times the blinking orange Dell light is a bad mobo. I've seen it for years when Caps blow out on old Optiplexes and Dimension 4600/4700's.

root

But if the mobo was bad would it post let alone start to boot into windows?

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

How long does the battery on a mobo typically last? I'm wondering if I should be replacing mine, as it's about 7 years old.