General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah
 
Just ordered UVerse... mistake?

Well, I just ordered Uverse internet and TV service. I want to know what you guys think.

Currently I have DirectTV with no sports or movie package, an SD DVR and 2 standard receivers, no multiroom capabilities. It costs me ~$100 a month.

Also I have Time Warner 15mbit, (which I am actually getting less than 10mbit) on a good day. $45 a month.


I ordered UVerse with the U200 TV package with the 18mbit connection (24mbit not avail in my area yet) for $99 a month, comes with 1 HD DVR and 2 HD receivers with multiroom DVR! Free installation.

After 6 months the TV jumps to $69 and the internet to $53, this is STILL better than DirectTV + Time Warner cable, plus the MultiRoom DVR is icing on the cake. Plus they are sending me $150 in giftcards to use on whatever I want. (sweet)

Now, I have read some bad things about UVerse such as bandwidth caps and other small nitpicky things. The thing I am worried about is that its DSL, I work for like 6 DSL ISP's and DSL sucks. Then again, Time Warner cable sucks so I guess there is no much difference.

Anyone have UVerse and can tell me if I made a bad choice? Thanks!
Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 PM Syk0tiK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
only if you had fios available as an option
Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 PM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
only if you had fios available as an option

Nope, no FIOS avail.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:43 PM Syk0tiK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
You bastard, I hate you. I am literally THREE HOUSES AWAY from uverse right now, and they haven't done DIDDLY and SHIT to make it happen for me!!

And yer a lucky bastard, you've got a good plan there.

The biggest key is that the connection is some form of "hybrid" dsl, that's got a 3000-foot limit, so you're fed into a "fridge" that's basically a local server hooked to fiber (iirc), so you won't get some of the worst problems that you get with DSL, thanks to good wire in the ground. Otoh, you need to make sure your inside lines are top-notch (this applies to DSL, as well).

I would make sure the line to the uverse box is totally dedicated, if your house is a newer place, it should be run-of-the-mill CAT-5; if not, I'd consider upgrading to CAT-6 for the run from the drop. Make sure the line runs with smooth bends and no kinks, as well.

If you get any issues after doing that, you've pretty much eliminated their first excuse ("your house wiring must suck, we charge you to feex"), which will force them to check the runs from the fridge to your drop, and clean up all the connections,

Outside that, be sure of that bandwidth cap (I know mine is 150GB a month, but I'm DSL only). And enjoy.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


я~~~ я~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex я~~~ я~~~
Old 07-03-2011, 07:46 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
You bastard, I hate you. I am literally THREE HOUSES AWAY from uverse right now, and they haven't done DIDDLY and SHIT to make it happen for me!!

And yer a lucky bastard, you've got a good plan there.

The biggest key is that the connection is some form of "hybrid" dsl, that's got a 3000-foot limit, so you're fed into a "fridge" that's basically a local server hooked to fiber (iirc), so you won't get some of the worst problems that you get with DSL, thanks to good wire in the ground. Otoh, you need to make sure your inside lines are top-notch (this applies to DSL, as well).

I would make sure the line to the uverse box is totally dedicated, if your house is a newer place, it should be run-of-the-mill CAT-5; if not, I'd consider upgrading to CAT-6 for the run from the drop. Make sure the line runs with smooth bends and no kinks, as well.

If you get any issues after doing that, you've pretty much eliminated their first excuse ("your house wiring must suck, we charge you to feex"), which will force them to check the runs from the fridge to your drop, and clean up all the connections,

Outside that, be sure of that bandwidth cap (I know mine is 150GB a month, but I'm DSL only). And enjoy.

Ok my House is brand new, I think the inside wiring is CAT5 already.

Man I hope this works out good, I hate Time Warner.

I like Direct TV, but its just gotten too expensive for what it is.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:50 PM Syk0tiK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
You bastard, I hate you. I am literally THREE HOUSES AWAY from uverse right now, and they haven't done DIDDLY and SHIT to make it happen for me!!

And yer a lucky bastard, you've got a good plan there.

The biggest key is that the connection is some form of "hybrid" dsl, that's got a 3000-foot limit, so you're fed into a "fridge" that's basically a local server hooked to fiber (iirc), so you won't get some of the worst problems that you get with DSL, thanks to good wire in the ground. Otoh, you need to make sure your inside lines are top-notch (this applies to DSL, as well).

I would make sure the line to the uverse box is totally dedicated, if your house is a newer place, it should be run-of-the-mill CAT-5; if not, I'd consider upgrading to CAT-6 for the run from the drop. Make sure the line runs with smooth bends and no kinks, as well.

If you get any issues after doing that, you've pretty much eliminated their first excuse ("your house wiring must suck, we charge you to feex"), which will force them to check the runs from the fridge to your drop, and clean up all the connections,

Outside that, be sure of that bandwidth cap (I know mine is 150GB a month, but I'm DSL only). And enjoy.



They have to test the lines to be sure it can hold everything before they do the install.

If you have issues with it, there could be any number of problems. No one just comes out there, sees an issue with it, and says its your wiring and then leaves.

I will be taking an aptitude test tomorrow for AT&T u-verse tech, so after 6 months training I will have more information to provide.

Time Wanner is not too bad.....all the land based coax cable companies are high priced. So you will always have that with them.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 PM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0tiK View Post
Ok my House is brand new, I think the inside wiring is CAT5 already.

Man I hope this works out good, I hate Time Warner.

I like Direct TV, but its just gotten too expensive for what it is.

The tech who installs it will test the lines before going forward with the install.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:13 PM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/
 
VanFanel's Avatar
 
JPF is right - the techs will check the line. When the tech was at my place to install U-Verse service, I had 64 mbit at the plug and my apt complex was build in the 70's... or earlier.

I have the 18 mbit service right now and I get 17.6 so no complaints here. The only "sucky" part is that the receiver they gave me - the remote lags like hell.

Other than that - no complaints. I've had only one problem that was not a big issue - I had a significant drop in speed and the first tech was an idiot but the second tech I got on chat figured out exactly what the problem was and had a lineman there the next day. Only one such incident in over 9 months of ownership.
__________________
Das Auto.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:13 AM VanFanel is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

acidfast7
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
I get 16/1 DSL plus free calling to any landline in Germany for 19€/month.

I added 500 minutes of landline calling to anywhere in Europe, Turkey and the UNITED STATES for 5€/month.

24€ / month total.

If I signed a contract for 2 years, it would have been only 19€ / month for all of it ... but I hate commitments (I use a prepaid cell phone as well.)

I just bought an Apple TV and installed PLEX, so if I want some TV, I can watch BBC iPlayer, Al Jazerra, Russia Today streaming news (same as their broadcast channels), so I don't have a cable TV plan. I could have added one for 5-10€/month depending on channels that I wanted.
__________________
I always post that shitty animated .gif of a boulder tumbling down a hill.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 AM acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFanel View Post

I have the 18 mbit service right now and I get 17.6 so no complaints here. The only "sucky" part is that the receiver they gave me - the remote lags like hell.

.

iirc, It's the box, not the remote that lags. Comcast was the same way, till we got new boxes. Because its the processing power of the box to "lock" in that frequency, then make it stable, then produce the picture to the tv.....

But for AT&T it maybe the remotes. I have seen people use U-verse on their x-box using the media center remotes.....unsure how that fairs.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:11 AM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I get 16/1 DSL plus free calling to any landline in Germany for 19€/month.

I added 500 minutes of landline calling to anywhere in Europe, Turkey and the UNITED STATES for 5€/month.

24€ / month total.

If I signed a contract for 2 years, it would have been only 19€ / month for all of it ... but I hate commitments (I use a prepaid cell phone as well.)

I just bought an Apple TV and installed PLEX, so if I want some TV, I can watch BBC iPlayer, Al Jazerra, Russia Today streaming news (same as their broadcast channels), so I don't have a cable TV plan. I could have added one for 5-10€/month depending on channels that I wanted.
All of this info is extremely helpful to someone on the other side of the world, and I'm very happy that you can keep in touch with your Turkish friends for no extra charge as long as you keep the convo short.

Anyway, I have a coworker that has Uverse and it seems to work pretty well for him. Like some of the others explained, it may be DSL...but it's better than the shitty old school DSL that we all remember from the early 21st century.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

_cashel
 
So does UVerse still have a ~250gb monthly bandwidth cap?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 AM _cashel is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

acidfast7
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cashel View Post
So does UVerse still have a ~250gb monthly bandwidth cap?

@ UVerse
__________________
I always post that shitty animated .gif of a boulder tumbling down a hill.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cashel View Post
So does UVerse still have a ~250gb monthly bandwidth cap?

I think so, but I dont come close to that anyways.

I download alot of movies and shit but rarely exceed 100gb a month.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 AM Syk0tiK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

M-Unit
Master-B and is gay lover Jumbypunk = OWNED.
 
How is it dsl? It's fiber to the node in your neighborhood then from there to your house.

anyway my box says my connection is 20mb/20mb, but we're only signed up for 6mb down. It is pretty flawless. I like the dvr in every room thing they just launched as well.

I get the exact speed they say I get so I'm happy about that.

the bandwidth limiting they started is super lame, but I doubt I'll every touch it.
__________________
Customize Genmay: http://mayhemex.theintarweb.net

"All messages posted become the property of General Mayhem, LLC."
Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 PM M-Unit is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.