General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

MuffinMan8869

I think my USB bus is Dieing. Help

I got an original intel macbook pro 15inch. Its 6 years old, and probably not worth a repair bill. And since it isn't my only computer, i am also not too concerned about it. However, I have been using this computer for my photography, and would like to be able to save/back up my stuff. (everything i do uses USB, my internet is through USB, my Backup is a USB HD, etc) So any help/advice would be useful!

ok so here is a description of my problem. My USB ports (only got 2 of em) both seem to work fine whenever i plug something into them, but after about a minute or two of use they cut out and then cut back in. If i am charging an ipod for example, it will stop charging the ipod (and cut data) and then reconnect the ipod about a second later.

This happens on both USB ports, and doesn't always happen at the same time. Right now, my internet is lasting about 5 minutes... But its the 10th time ive tried to get it to work in 20. I can't safely transfer any files because the more i use the USB port the quicker it seems to go out. Transferring several gigs of photos made the USB ports cut out every 20 seconds. While idlely charging a device causes them to go out every 2-10 minutes.

anyone know what is going on?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

wwilliam54

get a usb express card
get that shit backed up asap, and see if this will hold up for more than just a" OMGWTFBBQ gotta back my shit up" solution

Edited for shit link

Last edited by wwilliam54; 06-19-2011 at 04:40 PM..

someone else

you could burn DVDs with the photos on em. I do that every so often. gives you a backup of the photos hard copy, that you can throw onto a hard drive at your leisure
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

MuffinMan8869

both are pretty good ideas. I was thinking of seeing if there was a Firewire/USB adaptor i could find. Since, i never use fire-wire and i assume they are seperate bus'es

either way i need to back up the 50 gigs of photos before i scrap this and get a new mac

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

Worst comes to worst you can pull the hard drive, toss it into a PATA or SATA usb adapter and hook it up to another mac (or anything can can read mac filesystem)

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

did you try re-installing the driver?