General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasko View Post
How much money are people willing to pay for something that is used 99% of the time for email and looking at youtube videos... I don't understand the appeal of any tablet.

I agree. It's still hugely expensive. More than half a MacBook, or more than 30% of a MBP.

I'd still rather pay much more and have the ability to do proper work.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I agree. It's still hugely expensive. More than half a MacBook, or more than 30% of a MBP.

I'd still rather pay much more and have the ability to do proper work.

Typing on a virtual keyboard for any length of time sucks. It's the worst part of the i devices. That problem could be solved with a simple USB port.

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Typing on a virtual keyboard for any length of time sucks. It's the worst part of the i devices. That problem could be solved with a simple USB port.

I just don't think that while sitting on an airplane or a train, a iPad2/external keyboard approaches a laptop experience (and it gets even closer in price ... how much is a foldable USB keyboard anyway ).

I can understand if someone has one and claims that it's an extra purchase and that they walk around the house with it. But, anyone that claims it's a laptop replacement is crazy.

If the iPad was 25% or less of a MacBook, I'd look at it (250€ or so). But at 499€, it's half a new MacBook, so I can't really justify it over just buying a MacBook and keeping it twice as long.

Also, with the Apple refresh cycles, the iPad1 probably only has a usable lifespan of 3 years until the newest versions of iOS will not run on it. My 2g iTouch for example (bought in 2009) can't even run the newest iOS. Now, if that happened with a MacBook after 3 years, they'd be hell to pay, with an iPad, not so much.

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

_cashel

That's pretty slick.

Has anybody heard anything about Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1? I was dead set on picking up an iPad 2 in the next week or two until I saw this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4233/s...itively-priced

There's a video of it compared against an iPad 2 floating around as well. I've heard Honeycomb is still a little rough around the edges, but that can be fixed over time (hopefully).

Bukkakeboy

BUT WE'RE APPLE, WE DON'T NEED FUCKING USB PORTS OR FLASH OR ANYTHING THAT ISN'T TOTALITARIAN!

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy

Perc
New and shiny title

The reason apple doesn't want flash on their iOS devices is because it fucking sucks, and they're not afraid to lose customers over it.

Grazehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perc View Post
The reason apple doesn't want flash on their iOS devices is because it fucking sucks, and they're not afraid to lose customers over it.

That's so much its not even funny. Yeah flash had it's problems and the only good that comes from all this "OMG flash sucks" is that adobe will get off their asses and fix flash's short comings.
Apple does not have flash on iOS not because they are afraid they lose customers, dont give me that ! They could simply disable it from the browser by default and give people who want it the option to turn it on. Of course Apple was never about options.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Wrong answer, they don't want flash because it's something owned by Adobe and outside the full control of their closed Appleverse.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:

Why would people buy ipad/ipod apps if they could just use a free flash app?

Perc
New and shiny title

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
Why would people buy ipad/ipod apps if they could just use a free flash app?
There are ways to do webapps on iOS if you desperately want to deliver your stuff through the browser instead of for free through the appstore... not just Flash.

Flash performance has improved significantly over the years but it still runs like absolute shit on most platforms, including on OS X on a fairly decent dual core mac. It really only runs well on Windows.

I don't doubt that iOS would have flash if Adobe had gotten their shit together.

Grazehell

Quote:

Flash performance has improved significantly over the years but it still runs like absolute shit on most platforms, including on OS X on a fairly decent dual core mac. It really only runs well on Windows.

I realized this on my Macbook which specs are not much different from my windows notebook, everything is shitter on Mac OS, Flash and Silverlight. Whats the deal man? Developer get off your asses!

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
There are ways to do webapps on iOS if you desperately want to deliver your stuff through the browser instead of for free through the appstore... not just Flash.

I don't doubt that iOS would have flash if Adobe had gotten their shit together.
So what you're saying is that appletards can't wrap their heads around the concept of some things on their magical fairydust machines not passing across Steve Jobs desk for approval..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Perc
New and shiny title

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
So what you're saying is that appletards can't wrap their heads around the concept of some things on their magical fairydust machines not passing across Steve Jobs desk for approval..

Read, comprehend, post.

_cashel

Finally picked up an iPad 2 late last week. Back 16GB WiFi only. I've been tethering with my Nexus S 4G with Sprint when I don't have WiFi, which has been working fantastically. AirVideo lets me stream my entire HTPC media collection to my iPad without hiccup over 4G. Does anybody know of any apps that would allow me to do the same for my iTunes library? Something like SimplifyMedia (looks like Google bought them out last year) or Home Sharing, but over the internet rather than a local network.

Anybody have any cool portfolio style cases?

Last edited by _cashel; 05-31-2011 at 09:13 AM..