General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Is there still a wait for these at Apple Stores, or do most have them in stock?
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perc View Post
There are ways to do webapps on iOS if you desperately want to deliver your stuff through the browser instead of for free through the appstore... not just Flash.

Flash performance has improved significantly over the years but it still runs like absolute shit on most platforms, including on OS X on a fairly decent dual core mac. It really only runs well on Windows.

I don't doubt that iOS would have flash if Adobe had gotten their shit together.

You've kinda missed the point of my post. Sure there are ways for developers to do it but why isnt flash fully supported natively in the browser? Dont tell me that adobe stuck their dick out and wiggled it at apple before throwing a deuce and farting as they walked away. Adobe is a company that knows how to sell software. When you have a huge user base to consume your software, you can charge the prices they do for their software suites.

Why would anyone buy apps on the app store if they could use any of the 100 free flash versions already available on the web? Sure there's going to be some niche stuff that makes special use of the software but angry birds wouldnt sell nearly as many copies if every dildo with an ipad could browse newgrounds for their taptaptap game fix.

_cashel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows View Post

No idea, I picked mine up from a Target last Wednesday or Thursday. From calling around, it seems most non-Apple stores are starting to retain the 3G iPads, but the regular ones are still selling out, just more slowly.

Haven't bothered with Apple Stores because it's too much of a PITA to drive to the ones here (Orlando).

I may or may not end up exchanging mine for a 32GB. Good news is Target has a 90 day return policy, as long as the iPad is in good condition (it's got a screen protector + case so it's good). I'll see after another week or two of usage.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Is there a way to use the iPad as an external screen for my xbox 360? Then I could use my phone for wifi sharing, an ipad for the screen and be able to play anywhere I have service.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows View Post

yes
even the online store has a 2 week delay. I have one in the mail right now from the online store. its shipping straight from china.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
yes
even the online store has a 2 week delay. I have one in the mail right now from the online store. its shipping straight from china.

I need to order three, so I better do it sooner rather than later then.
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Pretty much yeah

That's because you blow daddy for your allowance.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

A couple-three months ago, my wife decided she needed some sort of replacement for her laptop, so did some shopping and test-driving, and finally settled on an iPad. Of course, the BestBuy sale (with 18 months no-interest) was only thru that Friday... which happened to be the intro date for the iPad2. She didn't care, because she's no power-user, so snagged a 16GB Wifi for about $400. And she loves it, able to do email, surfing, and online banking and bill-paying without needing the desktop.

Fast forward to early April: I win an iPad2 in a contest. x2 16GB wifi, and it's definitely faster than the first gen. ber

And I like it! It's nice to be able to surf or look up something on a whim, or play a game. I'm posting this on it, and the only real problem is typing out BBcode, the occasional typo and/or autocorrect fuckup, and the dearth of free apps on the AppStore.

Of course, two weeks after I got the thing, I get the newest issue of MaximumPC mag, with an iPad2/Xoom showdown... And the Xoom won. mainly because it was more customizable without jailbreaking, and has a 1200x800 screen, instead of 1024x760. and flash.

Meh, fuck it, I'm enjoying this thing, I got it for free, and it's cool as fuck. If I want flash or other shit, I'll jailbreak it. I found out about the tether the other day while sitting with my wife while she was taking her first chemotherapy treatment, which just might push me to jb the phone (3gs). But that's about all that sucks, it's excellent otherwise.

Apps:

* PlainText: same on iPhone, it links with dropbox to update across all machines. Clean interface, excellent notepad app;
* Dropbox (duh);
* Weather Radar: eh, just so-so, Weather Channel app on iPad blows, so we'll see;
* Downloads HD Lite: haven't really used it yet, but it's a browser/download/file manager, all rolled into one. Highly rated, we'll see;
* Google Earth: just cool;
* Dilbert: 'nuff said;
* iWeather Lite: nifty weather app, but the radar screens are too small, loads of info tho;
* TuneIn Radio: similar to fStream on iPhone, but supposedly better. I have yet to try it;
* 360 Browser: a better version of Atomic, I paid for it on my iPhone, only 99, and it transferred over perfectly, excellent browser;
* games: theynall transferred over, but the ones that don't scale up to iPad I took off, and I found one I'm hooked on now, called "Contract Killer", it's quite fun, tho I'd like to get Dead Space, if it ever improves in price ;
* Book apps: I happen to LIKE iBooks, it works very nicely, and makes for an excellent PDF reader as well. Kindle kinda sucks, as does their free book selection; no clue if Google Books is any improvement.

So, overall, it's a nice tool and pastime device. And if I need more flexibility, I'll jailbreak it.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
That's because you blow daddy for your allowance.

whoa there mate, what the fuck is wrong with you. stop talking out of your fucking ass.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
whoa there mate, what the fuck is wrong with you. stop talking out of your fucking ass.

This is Gen[M]ay, son, stop whining like a premenstrual girl, grow some chest hairs and take it like a man.

--John Hobbs

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
This is Gen[M]ay, son, stop whining like a premenstrual girl, grow some chest hairs and take it like a man.

Maybe you should use whatever intelligence exists in that neanderthal melon of yours and realize this isnt genmay, it's . Your buttfucking retarded trolling doesn't fly in the subforums.

Don't worry though pookie, I won't ban you.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Maybe you should use whatever intelligence exists in that neanderthal melon of yours and realize this isnt genmay, it's . Your buttfucking retarded trolling doesn't fly in the subforums.

Hes just mad because you have a chin.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
A couple-three months ago, my wife decided she needed some sort of replacement for her laptop, so did some shopping and test-driving, and finally settled on an iPad. Of course, the BestBuy sale (with 18 months no-interest) was only thru that Friday... which happened to be the intro date for the iPad2. She didn't care, because she's no power-user, so snagged a 16GB Wifi for about $400. And she loves it, able to do email, surfing, and online banking and bill-paying without needing the desktop.

Fast forward to early April: I win an iPad2 in a contest. x2 16GB wifi, and it's definitely faster than the first gen. ber

And I like it! It's nice to be able to surf or look up something on a whim, or play a game. I'm posting this on it, and the only real problem is typing out BBcode, the occasional typo and/or autocorrect fuckup, and the dearth of free apps on the AppStore.

Of course, two weeks after I got the thing, I get the newest issue of MaximumPC mag, with an iPad2/Xoom showdown... And the Xoom won. mainly because it was more customizable without jailbreaking, and has a 1200x800 screen, instead of 1024x760. and flash.

Meh, fuck it, I'm enjoying this thing, I got it for free, and it's cool as fuck. If I want flash or other shit, I'll jailbreak it. I found out about the tether the other day while sitting with my wife while she was taking her first chemotherapy treatment, which just might push me to jb the phone (3gs). But that's about all that sucks, it's excellent otherwise.

Apps:

* PlainText: same on iPhone, it links with dropbox to update across all machines. Clean interface, excellent notepad app;
* Dropbox (duh);
* Weather Radar: eh, just so-so, Weather Channel app on iPad blows, so we'll see;
* Downloads HD Lite: haven't really used it yet, but it's a browser/download/file manager, all rolled into one. Highly rated, we'll see;
* Google Earth: just cool;
* Dilbert: 'nuff said;
* iWeather Lite: nifty weather app, but the radar screens are too small, loads of info tho;
* TuneIn Radio: similar to fStream on iPhone, but supposedly better. I have yet to try it;
* 360 Browser: a better version of Atomic, I paid for it on my iPhone, only 99, and it transferred over perfectly, excellent browser;
* games: theynall transferred over, but the ones that don't scale up to iPad I took off, and I found one I'm hooked on now, called "Contract Killer", it's quite fun, tho I'd like to get Dead Space, if it ever improves in price ;
* Book apps: I happen to LIKE iBooks, it works very nicely, and makes for an excellent PDF reader as well. Kindle kinda sucks, as does their free book selection; no clue if Google Books is any improvement.

So, overall, it's a nice tool and pastime device. And if I need more flexibility, I'll jailbreak it.

how did you not include flipboard? thats like 80% of my ipad use right now

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
how did you not include flipboard? thats like 80% of my ipad use right now

is a flipboard??

Ahhh, I see...

Because when I first stumbled across it, I saw "twitter" and "Facebook", and instantly tuned it out, cuz I don't do either (who wants to know when I take a shit??).

Checking it out now...

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:

Only if you do a reach around first.

--John Hobbs