General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

?psalus
Apsalus

Connecting to a campus network over wireless with Win7 v. can't connect.

They use WPA-Enterprise (AES) and MS PEAP user auth (all of my credentials are correct), but I can't connect to it for the last few days. For the past year, on occasion, when I could connect to the access points, Win7 would tell me that I am on an unidentified network with no internet access (a trend in the occurrences that I noticed was that during weekdays the problem would crop up, but never on the weekends - maybe network load?). Now it does it every time. In the past, simply using the built-in "trouble shooter" in the Network and Sharing Center to reset the wireless adapter shorted it out and the next attempt to connect would work just fine. I really don't have a firm grasp of connecting to protected networks like this and all of the variables that I should be checking so if anyone can give me some pointers, I would appreciate it. This install of Win7 is getting a little long in the tooth, but I don't want to reinstall just to sort this out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

I always try flushing the dns cache.

and windoze update likes to treat the adapter as a new network. My win 7 is now using Network 4. It used to fuck up XP and I had to go in and manually delete all network configs from the registry, restart winblows and let it set up on network 1 again. But I cant remember how to do that. Certain applications just would not recognize that it was the same fucking adaptor on the same fucking IRQ.

It has not caused a major problem yet in win 7 for me. But I am sure it will break something sooner or later.

?psalus
Apsalus

Ah, yeah. I'll try flushing the DNS cache next time.

I noticed after the last bunch of updates that my install is using "Network 4" now too. I was wondering what was going on.

root

It might not hurt to reset the stack as well

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
It might not hurt to reset the stack as well

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Yeah, every time I thought through what I could do to try to fix it, a voice in the back of my mind kept whispering something about "the stack," but apparently my conscious mind never fully engaged the concept. Thanks for bringing it up.

?psalus
Apsalus

Flushing the DNS and reseting the protocol stack didn't help. I guess I'll delete the connection and re-add it. I would have tried that first, but it's a long process and the instructions from the IT dept are all in Japanese.

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
and windoze update likes to treat the adapter as a new network. My win 7 is now using Network 4. It used to fuck up XP and I had to go in and manually delete all network configs from the registry, restart winblows and let it set up on network 1 again. But I cant remember how to do that. Certain applications just would not recognize that it was the same fucking adaptor on the same fucking IRQ.
Still no good after deleting and jumping through all the goddamn hoops to add it again. When you were vetting your reg in XP, was what you were doing akin to the "WinSockFix" that I've read about?

-e- Can someone tell me more about the Layered Service Providers in Windows 7? If I reset winsock in Win7, supposedly they all get hosed, but I don't fully understand what they are. If a reset takes the catalog back to the default state, does that mean that all of the connections my computer remembers will be gone as well?

Last edited by Apsalus; 06-06-2011 at 01:00 AM..

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

If all you are trying to do is login with a valid username and password then you shouldn't have any problems. Quit trying to hack the account

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisterDick View Post
If all you are trying to do is login with a valid username and password then you shouldn't have any problems. Quit trying to hack the account :tard:
Thanks for the productive comment, shitface. My account works fine on the boat-anchors they pass off as desktops in the computer labs.

root

I know it sucks but take it to the people at the help desk. If they can't help then maybe it is time to back up and re-install windows. It will only take an hour and it will run faster.