General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Thermo1223

Office Server questions...

Playing around with consolidating all our desktops' (Optiplex's 320/330/740) acting as stand alone servers right now for certain applications. So I may have a lot of them to play in regards to using one as PDC/DNS etc. I might even install SBS 2011 on one just to play with it.

Now the question is these desktops are not built for that so would using ECC ram be mandatory or can I get away with not using it but then take a risk on data loss because of that. I mean right now we run some pretty critical apps that fail on occasion from memory errors. The problem is convincing my uppers to spend the small amount of cash(Jewish people spend more money).

So is ECC memory crucial so the server(s) won't have memory errors?
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

fieroloki

Do you work for the same company I do? LOL!!

Will those boxes even take ECC ram?

Thermo1223

I know 740 will, the others is spotty I think.

fieroloki

If you have things failing with memory errors,go ECC, but no guarantee it will solve it since it is running on a desktop. I say let it all start failing till they realize they need real hardware.

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

ECC only corrects memory errors related to hardware.

If your programs are crashing because of bad memory management/poor coding then ECC isnt going to help.

jkoebel

Most desktop boards won't accept ECC memory - but as the other posters have mentioned, that's likely not the real issue anyway. Physical/electrical memory corruption issues are relatively few and far between on modern systems. My rack of blades is smart enough to track inside the hardware management interface how many ECC bit-errors were recovered from...I think there have been exactly 3 bit-flips, ever, that ECC has fixed in several years of operation.

In your situation, I'd grab some cheap virtualization-capable hardware (desktop grade even) and load it up with a copy of Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V. You can run the Hypervisor, along with PDC and DNS, on the physical box and use the virtual license included with your primary license to host a virtual server inside for an application.

SBS is an excellent product, but it can be difficult to migrate away from when your company outgrows it. It's appropriate enough for a single-server network, but I think you're already past that by the sound of it.

Thermo1223

I wasn't sure if the applications were crashing by poor coding or physical issues. I can pretty much be sure one is but there is little I can do about it on my end. The other uses a stripped down SQL server built into it (like a home ver. of SQL) which is it's main failing I think. If they required an SQL sever stand alone I'd think we have far less issues considering how heavily it relies on databasing.

I also suggested Virtualization many times. I have even been trying to get an ESXi box up but our hardware isn't 100% compatible it seems. It would make complete sense since have a clean install of the OS would greatly simply the problems we can have.

Well we could be single server network but there is also talk on integration to the domain in NY via VPN and it seems SBS doesn't like that one bit. So you may be right. I do have a copy of 2003 but it seems outdated by today's standards and it is only 32bit.