General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuanies View Post
That only applies to cars. Toyota has much to learn from GM in regards to trucks, GM's bread and butter product

I dunno, Toyota's been in the game for a very long while now, producing a SHITLOAD of trucks that are sold worldwide; they'd be out of business if they didn't build good product.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#181  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tuanies
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
I dunno, Toyota's been in the game for a very long while now, producing a SHITLOAD of trucks that are sold worldwide; they'd be out of business if they didn't build good product.

And Chevy has produced trucks for over twice as long.
__________________
This space intentionally left blank
Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 PM Tuanies is offline  
Reply With Quote
#182  

steal
you pick up dog turds? suckers!
 
steal's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshi View Post
You really don't sound like you've ever used a work truck or owned one. Or talked to anyone who does work with their truck.

I just drove my truck to school today. And it has at least that many miles on it. And I'll probably put this many miles on it over again. I don't expect to need a new truck until about a million miles.

have you owned it since the beginning of it's life? we aren't discussing your misfortune, we're discussing what new buyers expect out of their trucks.

anyway, i owned my own construction business for 2 1/2 years you 's

i know how much time people spend in their trucks and i know how many miles they put on them, and how much they expect out of them - it's rarely over 20 hours a week at highway speeds (this one is still ridiculous to me, nobody drives more than two hours out to jobs unless they're really really desperate for work), it isn't 500k miles, and it isn't 20 years. if every chevy and ford ran for 500k miles with no major work, there wouldn't be a few million brand new trucks sold every year.

on top of this, those of you who claim to spend so much time in their truck - you don't give a shit how comfortable it is? that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard

if you're putting 500k miles on a truck BY YOURSELF, i guarantee you will have spent at least an entire year of your life sitting on that seat, and that's probably a very conservative estimate, yet comfort still isn't a factor? it's so incredible how short-sighted some of you can be.

do you know what i see when i look for used silverados? i see 10+ year old trucks with 200-250k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendNH View Post
At the end of the day, the money is going back to Japan. They can decide whether they want to recycle back into the American economy, or build a new plant in China or a South American country. This is what matters most.

hello friend

do you realize that toyota is not a privately owned company? just askin', cuz you know, that would mean that you are full of shit.

Last edited by steal; 03-12-2007 at 11:17 PM..
Old 03-12-2007, 11:10 PM steal is offline  
Reply With Quote
#183  

4byTacoma
 
4byTacoma's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steal View Post
have you owned it since the beginning of it's life? we aren't discussing your misfortune, we're discussing what new buyers expect out of their trucks.

anyway, i owned my own construction business for 2 1/2 years you 's

i know how much time people spend in their trucks and i know how many miles they put on them, and how much they expect out of them - it's rarely over 20 hours a week at highway speeds (this one is still ridiculous to me, nobody drives more than two hours out to jobs unless they're really really desperate for work), it isn't 500k miles, and it isn't 20 years. if every chevy and ford ran for 500k miles with no major work, there wouldn't be a few million brand new trucks sold every year.

on top of this, those of you who claim to spend so much time in their truck - you don't give a shit how comfortable it is? that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard

if you're putting 500k miles on a truck BY YOURSELF, i guarantee you will have spent at least an entire year of your life sitting on that seat, and that's probably a very conservative estimate, yet comfort still isn't a factor? it's so incredible how short-sighted some of you can be.

do you know what i see when i look for used silverados? i see 10+ year old trucks with 200-250k.

I'd rather sit in my truck than a corolla or civic. I think 500k should be reached in about 10 years or so, 128k right now so it just got broken in. I don't hate driving my truck, as a matter of fact i love driving it even more now with the Donahoe Coilovers since it handles great.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:19 PM 4byTacoma is offline  
Reply With Quote
#184  

zoopnazi
no zoop for you
 
zoopnazi's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steal View Post
have you owned it since the beginning of it's life? we aren't discussing your misfortune, we're discussing what new buyers expect out of their trucks.

anyway, i owned my own construction business for 2 1/2 years you 's

i know how much time people spend in their trucks and i know how many miles they put on them, and how much they expect out of them - it's rarely over 20 hours a week at highway speeds (this one is still ridiculous to me, nobody drives more than two hours out to jobs unless they're really really desperate for work), it isn't 500k miles, and it isn't 20 years. if every chevy and ford ran for 500k miles with no major work, there wouldn't be a few million brand new trucks sold every year.

on top of this, those of you who claim to spend so much time in their truck - you don't give a shit how comfortable it is? that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard

if you're putting 500k miles on a truck BY YOURSELF, i guarantee you will have spent at least an entire year of your life sitting on that seat, and that's probably a very conservative estimate, yet comfort still isn't a factor? it's so incredible how short-sighted some of you can be.

do you know what i see when i look for used silverados? i see 10+ year old trucks with 200-250k.



hello friend

do you realize that toyota is not a privately owned company? just askin', cuz you know, that would mean that you are full of shit.

You DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT WHAT I DO

I work in the oil industry
Where I work depends on where the oil is.
Unfortunately for me and THOUSANDS of others like me the oil isn't downtown in the nearest city.
That oil is spread ALL OVER THE LAND.
Another thing you may not know is that oil companies spend a lot of money to get that oil out of the land. They pay big bucks for me and thousands of other people to drive to remote locations to work on bringing that oil and gas from the depths of the earth.
SO, until you can speak for every single working man on this planet don't start making generalizations.

I am not desparate for work.
I love my job.
It requires that I routinely drive 500km+ in a day
It also requires that of thousands of other people.

For the record, I have put 45 000km in less than 6 months on a F-350 XLT, with about as base interior as you could possibly have, and its plenty comfortable for me. I dont need heated seats and wood grained dashboard, and a lighted vanity mirror.

I have cloth seats, because leather gets torn and cracks. I have vinyl floors because mud and oil doesnt come out of carpet and I have A SHINY PLASTIC DASH because its cheap as fuck to make.

There are about a million companies in the oil industry that love money more than I ever could. To satiate their love of money they dont mind giving their 100+ employees trucks with very little luxury, and those employees dont mind driving them, because who wouldn't love a free truck with as much free gas as you could use.

There are also about a billion consultants and self-employed people in the oilfield and they don't mind cutting out the options of their truck because a sunroof tells the oil company that you are charging too much, and have money to burn on a luxury truck. This means they should be able to find the same service at a better cost elsewhere.

I have only had major exposure in the oilfield, and I can tell you that it is a VERY large field, there is a LOT of money, and even more trucks.

I know the construction industry and a dozen other industries use trucks as much as we do, and I can guarantee one thing as much as you can guarantee the quality of plastics in your Echo, is that all of these industries run on a very similar principle - profit maximization.

Now I know your reply will be about those people that don't use their trucks for work, but before you blurt that out let me also guarantee you that there are far more trucks sold in the world used for work and business than there ever will be for personal and recreational use.
__________________
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

California Pizza Chicken
Old 03-12-2007, 11:34 PM zoopnazi is offline  
Reply With Quote
#185  

claffix
 
claffix's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopnazi View Post
You DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT WHAT I DO

I work in the oil industry
Where I work depends on where the oil is.
Unfortunately for me and THOUSANDS of others like me the oil isn't downtown in the nearest city.
That oil is spread ALL OVER THE LAND.
Another thing you may not know is that oil companies spend a lot of money to get that oil out of the land. They pay big bucks for me and thousands of other people to drive to remote locations to work on bringing that oil and gas from the depths of the earth.
SO, until you can speak for every single working man on this planet don't start making generalizations.

I am not desparate for work.
I love my job.
It requires that I routinely drive 500km+ in a day
It also requires that of thousands of other people.

For the record, I have put 45 000km in less than 6 months on a F-350 XLT, with about as base interior as you could possibly have, and its plenty comfortable for me. I dont need heated seats and wood grained dashboard, and a lighted vanity mirror.

I have cloth seats, because leather gets torn and cracks. I have vinyl floors because mud and oil doesnt come out of carpet and I have A SHINY PLASTIC DASH because its cheap as fuck to make.

There are about a million companies in the oil industry that love money more than I ever could. To satiate their love of money they dont mind giving their 100+ employees trucks with very little luxury, and those employees dont mind driving them, because who wouldn't love a free truck with as much free gas as you could use.

There are also about a billion consultants and self-employed people in the oilfield and they don't mind cutting out the options of their truck because a sunroof tells the oil company that you are charging too much, and have money to burn on a luxury truck. This means they should be able to find the same service at a better cost elsewhere.

I have only had major exposure in the oilfield, and I can tell you that it is a VERY large field, there is a LOT of money, and even more trucks.

I know the construction industry and a dozen other industries use trucks as much as we do, and I can guarantee one thing as much as you can guarantee the quality of plastics in your Echo, is that all of these industries run on a very similar principle - profit maximization.

Now I know your reply will be about those people that don't use their trucks for work, but before you blurt that out let me also guarantee you that there are far more trucks sold in the world used for work and business than there ever will be for personal and recreational use.

As soon as I read steal's post, I figured you'd be coming in here to lay some sense down. Well done.
__________________
I've spent most of my money on booze and fast toys...the rest was just wasted.

I like my girls like I like my bikes: fast, naked, and barely legal.

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and reckless steals the show.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:41 PM claffix is offline  
Reply With Quote
#186  

Bill Brasky
He killed Wolfman Jack with a trident
 
Bill Brasky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopnazi View Post
-snip-

way to put the toyota fanboy in his place
__________________
Nikon DSLR Club: D70

I'm a Son of a Bitch and you fucking love me for it.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:34 AM Bill Brasky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#187  

Tuanies
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopnazi View Post
You DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT WHAT I DO

I work in the oil industry
Where I work depends on where the oil is.
Unfortunately for me and THOUSANDS of others like me the oil isn't downtown in the nearest city.
That oil is spread ALL OVER THE LAND.
Another thing you may not know is that oil companies spend a lot of money to get that oil out of the land. They pay big bucks for me and thousands of other people to drive to remote locations to work on bringing that oil and gas from the depths of the earth.
SO, until you can speak for every single working man on this planet don't start making generalizations.

I am not desparate for work.
I love my job.
It requires that I routinely drive 500km+ in a day
It also requires that of thousands of other people.

For the record, I have put 45 000km in less than 6 months on a F-350 XLT, with about as base interior as you could possibly have, and its plenty comfortable for me. I dont need heated seats and wood grained dashboard, and a lighted vanity mirror.

I have cloth seats, because leather gets torn and cracks. I have vinyl floors because mud and oil doesnt come out of carpet and I have A SHINY PLASTIC DASH because its cheap as fuck to make.

There are about a million companies in the oil industry that love money more than I ever could. To satiate their love of money they dont mind giving their 100+ employees trucks with very little luxury, and those employees dont mind driving them, because who wouldn't love a free truck with as much free gas as you could use.

There are also about a billion consultants and self-employed people in the oilfield and they don't mind cutting out the options of their truck because a sunroof tells the oil company that you are charging too much, and have money to burn on a luxury truck. This means they should be able to find the same service at a better cost elsewhere.

I have only had major exposure in the oilfield, and I can tell you that it is a VERY large field, there is a LOT of money, and even more trucks.

I know the construction industry and a dozen other industries use trucks as much as we do, and I can guarantee one thing as much as you can guarantee the quality of plastics in your Echo, is that all of these industries run on a very similar principle - profit maximization.

Now I know your reply will be about those people that don't use their trucks for work, but before you blurt that out let me also guarantee you that there are far more trucks sold in the world used for work and business than there ever will be for personal and recreational use.

i <3 you man.

i swear im the only Asian on here that doesn't care for Japanese cars.
__________________
This space intentionally left blank
Old 03-13-2007, 12:55 AM Tuanies is offline  
Reply With Quote
#188  

miasman1
I'm a pathetic virgin.
 
Shit, I was down in Orange County(California, not New York ) and I haven't seen a new Tundra on the roads, just a ton of 2004+ F150s and Silverados both lowered and lifted, but in Walnut Creek which is by my house there's a few new Tundras around. The Tundra is great if you want something Lexus-like without the luxury fufu, but the Silverado will be the defacto standard - besides the F150. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Toyota fan boy myself, but the Tundra to me is a de-Hollisterized(no all-leather seats/door trim, no real burl California walnut or bird's eye maple wood trim, no NAV/Bluetooth, no AHC, no Lexus Link) Lexus LX470/GX470, but in truck form. If my job depended on it, I would get a F250 PSD, and have a short bed Tundra 5.7L double cab for fucking around on the weekends.
__________________
you touched a fusebox on an S-class.... I hope you have a double major in Engineering and IT, with a minor in German.... -
daswulfkralle

Last edited by miasman1; 03-13-2007 at 03:00 AM..
Old 03-13-2007, 02:55 AM miasman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#189  

miasman1
I'm a pathetic virgin.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph00ny View Post
The new Duramax diesel variant is 6.6 liters large and offers 365 horsepower and a monstrous 660 pound-feet of torque, while emitting less noise and fewer emissions than the Duramax in its predecessor. The diesel also comes mated to the tried-and-true six-speed Allison 1000 automatic transmission.
Duramax(Isuzu) are toys compared to Cummins and Navistar, but the Allison will hold up better than the 545RE(stereotypical weak Chrysler tranny issues) and the TorqShift(Ford had to license some parts from ZF)...
__________________
you touched a fusebox on an S-class.... I hope you have a double major in Engineering and IT, with a minor in German.... -
daswulfkralle
Old 03-13-2007, 03:05 AM miasman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#190  

steal
you pick up dog turds? suckers!
 
steal's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopnazi View Post
You DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT WHAT I DO

I work in the oil industry
Where I work depends on where the oil is.
Unfortunately for me and THOUSANDS of others like me the oil isn't downtown in the nearest city.
That oil is spread ALL OVER THE LAND.
Another thing you may not know is that oil companies spend a lot of money to get that oil out of the land. They pay big bucks for me and thousands of other people to drive to remote locations to work on bringing that oil and gas from the depths of the earth.
SO, until you can speak for every single working man on this planet don't start making generalizations.

I am not desparate for work.
I love my job.
It requires that I routinely drive 500km+ in a day
It also requires that of thousands of other people.

For the record, I have put 45 000km in less than 6 months on a F-350 XLT, with about as base interior as you could possibly have, and its plenty comfortable for me. I dont need heated seats and wood grained dashboard, and a lighted vanity mirror.

I have cloth seats, because leather gets torn and cracks. I have vinyl floors because mud and oil doesnt come out of carpet and I have A SHINY PLASTIC DASH because its cheap as fuck to make.

There are about a million companies in the oil industry that love money more than I ever could. To satiate their love of money they dont mind giving their 100+ employees trucks with very little luxury, and those employees dont mind driving them, because who wouldn't love a free truck with as much free gas as you could use.

There are also about a billion consultants and self-employed people in the oilfield and they don't mind cutting out the options of their truck because a sunroof tells the oil company that you are charging too much, and have money to burn on a luxury truck. This means they should be able to find the same service at a better cost elsewhere.

I have only had major exposure in the oilfield, and I can tell you that it is a VERY large field, there is a LOT of money, and even more trucks.

I know the construction industry and a dozen other industries use trucks as much as we do, and I can guarantee one thing as much as you can guarantee the quality of plastics in your Echo, is that all of these industries run on a very similar principle - profit maximization.

Now I know your reply will be about those people that don't use their trucks for work, but before you blurt that out let me also guarantee you that there are far more trucks sold in the world used for work and business than there ever will be for personal and recreational use.

thanks for that great anecdotal evidence

i didn't realize all trucks were used in oilfields! that's incredible, what about the ones i see in my area? are they heading out to oilfields too? there aren't any around here, so they must have to drive a pretty long way out to alberta or wherever it is that you work

maybe that's where these mystical 500k trucks live?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:48 AM steal is offline  
Reply With Quote
#191  

ph00ny
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steal View Post
have you owned it since the beginning of it's life? we aren't discussing your misfortune, we're discussing what new buyers expect out of their trucks.

anyway, i owned my own construction business for 2 1/2 years you 's

i know how much time people spend in their trucks and i know how many miles they put on them, and how much they expect out of them - it's rarely over 20 hours a week at highway speeds (this one is still ridiculous to me, nobody drives more than two hours out to jobs unless they're really really desperate for work), it isn't 500k miles, and it isn't 20 years. if every chevy and ford ran for 500k miles with no major work, there wouldn't be a few million brand new trucks sold every year.

on top of this, those of you who claim to spend so much time in their truck - you don't give a shit how comfortable it is? that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard

if you're putting 500k miles on a truck BY YOURSELF, i guarantee you will have spent at least an entire year of your life sitting on that seat, and that's probably a very conservative estimate, yet comfort still isn't a factor? it's so incredible how short-sighted some of you can be.

do you know what i see when i look for used silverados? i see 10+ year old trucks with 200-250k.

You must have a small construction busniess.

My father's company covers 3 states (VA,WV, and MD. 4 if you count dc as one). It's very common to see anywhere from 40k~80k a year in his fleet. Also this is the man that do not care much for any 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton trucks since they can't handle the abuse it must go through hauling a shitload of equipements everyday.

Have you driven the gm trucks? I can't vouch for the new tundra yet but out of the big three, it's the one that drives most closely to a car which is always a plus.
As for reliability, all three are pretty damn reliable (except the diesel ford). Only major issue he had with the big three was dodge ram 2500 which transmission had to be rebuilt in 2000(5 years of service) after 240k mi of usage.
__________________
Yao Ming of Asian Crew
Second [M]ember of the 6' Asian club
[M]ember of [M] Cadillac Club
04 White Diamond CTS
f17881c2d660477b9151fe21fb4fb04b
Old 03-13-2007, 05:12 AM ph00ny is offline  
Reply With Quote
#192  

steal
you pick up dog turds? suckers!
 
steal's Avatar
 
i have driven gm trucks yea

i owned a f250 for a long time, too (i owned a commercial glazing business, if anyone was wondering)

i have nothing against domestic trucks, i just think it's ridiculous to dismiss the tundra outright like many are doing

edit; i actually read that the gmt-900s ride a little bit nicer than the tundra whereas the tundra has a more heavy duty suspension which makes the ride/drive more truck like

i don't remember which comparo i read this in, i believe it may have been the edmunds one though

Last edited by steal; 03-13-2007 at 06:31 AM..
Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 AM steal is offline  
Reply With Quote
#193  

lopoetve
 
we dismiss it because it's overpriced.
we dismiss it because there are alternatives that are cheaper and JUST as good, if not better.
we dismiss it because the alternatives have been doing it longer, reliably, day in and day out
we dismiss it because business requires that these things work, so you go with what you know works.
we dismiss it because there is no reason not to, except as a fru-fru daily driver truck.

Once again, toyota makes a decent product, but not one that will ever knock GM or ford off of the work truck pedestal (and thus the big money.
__________________
"You always gotta question the culinary excellence of food items which propel themselves out of cans"-LilMsCanBeRite
[M]otorcycle krew - 2011 Triumph Street Triple R. (Bwah?!?)
2013 ZL1 Camaro
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:39 AM lopoetve is offline  
Reply With Quote
#194  

zoopnazi
no zoop for you
 
zoopnazi's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steal View Post
thanks for that great anecdotal evidence

i didn't realize all trucks were used in oilfields! that's incredible, what about the ones i see in my area? are they heading out to oilfields too? there aren't any around here, so they must have to drive a pretty long way out to alberta or wherever it is that you work

maybe that's where these mystical 500k trucks live?

youve got your head so far up your ass you dont even know what your argument was anymore.

sarcasm is the best you could come back with?
__________________
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

California Pizza Chicken
Old 03-13-2007, 07:48 AM zoopnazi is offline  
Reply With Quote
#195  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.