General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Atma Weapon
 
Is the war in Afghanistan justified?

Now that the general consensus seems to be that Iraq is getting better because insurgents are leaving it to fight with the 2nd mujahideen forming in Afghanistan (see this news article), I have a feeling people are going to start questioning that war as U.S. casualties will inevitably continue to rise above those in Iraq (as they did last month). Some opponents to the war have said that opposed to a military invasion what we should have done after 9/11 is sent out a special police force to capture/kill Bin Laden and key members of Al Qaeda. True, this would have left the Taliban in power, but it also would have saved a lot of lives. My question to the pit is: would this have worked? If not, what other options would there have been besides an invasion?

It is also known that the Taliban's resurgence is largely due to opium sales. Our government is doing everything they can to make sure that all opium fields are destroyed, in essence making opium just that more valuable (I guess they didn't take notes on how badly they failed the drug war back at home). If opium were legalized, wouldn't the Taliban essentially fall apart?
__________________
58b9ea0f2335cc1c173fb4364c46f7e7
Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 PM Atma Weapon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

coolxboxgamer
 
We need to get out of Iraq/Afghanistan. There is absolutely no reason for us to be in a hell hole that is costing us $250 billion+ dollars a year and many American lives. People over there need to figure out their shit. Why don't we protect our own borders, that's a novel idea

There's this common consensus these people want to come over here to bomb us because we are rich and free. The fact is we have been meddling with their shit for far to long. We have this thing in the USA when we get a threat against us we see the need to start World War III with people. History has shown you cannot impose government onto people, they will ultimately reject it. 80% of Americans and the majority of Iraqi's want us out, so lets GET OUT!!!

It seems counter productive to go out and bomb/kill everyone, when we can just defend ourselves at our borders without starting wars around the entire goddamn world, but most American citizens seem to think its patriotic to go bomb the shit out of people.... Iraq will be the next Vietnam, far to unstable at this point in time to even have a hope of "winning", we need to get out and let the citizens decide.
__________________
d67ca28ff460654694fe788f176c6640 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.

Last edited by coolxboxgamer; 07-30-2008 at 11:55 PM..
Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 PM coolxboxgamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

matt00926
baaaaaa
 
matt00926's Avatar
 
Well the month of July had the lowest U.S. troop death count in all of the 5 years. Whether that means terrorists are migrating to Afghanistan I have no clue.

I'd say that the war in Afghanistan is justified but I still don't know if we should be there. Troop levels are way too low over there and we really can't afford to keep these wars going. There is no military solution anyway, we are basically providing enough security so that the political arena can be stimulated, but god knows how long that will happen.
__________________
cd09d75f80807fd8baa143b39fa895eb [pornmay.com]
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 PM matt00926 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

Atma Weapon
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolxboxgamer View Post
We need to get out of Iraq/Afghanistan. There is absolutely no reason for us to be in a hell hole that is costing us $250 billion+ dollars a year and many American lives. People over there need to figure out their shit. Why don't we protect our own borders, that's a novel idea

There's this common consensus these people want to come over here to bomb us because we are rich and free. The fact is we have been meddling with their shit for far to long. We have this thing in the USA when we get a threat against us we see the need to start World War III with people. History has shown you cannot impose government onto people, they will ultimately reject it. 80% of Americans and the majority of Iraqi's want us out, so lets GET OUT!!!

It seems counter productive to go out and bomb/kill everyone, when we can just defend ourselves at our borders without starting wars around the entire goddamn world, but most American citizens seem to think its patriotic to go bomb the shit out of people.... Iraq will be the next Vietnam, far to unstable at this point in time to even have a hope of "winning", we need to get out and let the citizens decide.

That's great and all, but completely irrelevant.
__________________
58b9ea0f2335cc1c173fb4364c46f7e7
Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 PM Atma Weapon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

coolxboxgamer
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt00926 View Post
Well the month of July had the lowest U.S. troop death count in all of the 5 years. Whether that means terrorists are migrating to Afghanistan I have no clue.

I'd say that the war in Afghanistan is justified but I still don't know if we should be there. Troop levels are way too low over there and we really can't afford to keep these wars going. There is no military solution anyway, we are basically providing enough security so that the political arena can be stimulated, but god knows how long that will happen.

The USA is on the verge of complete bankruptcy. With this housing bill over the weekend our national debt stands at around 10.5 TRILLION dollars. We are getting to the point that people will stop buying our T bills, then we might have to live within our means for once
__________________
d67ca28ff460654694fe788f176c6640 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 AM coolxboxgamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet
 
Xcric's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolxboxgamer View Post
The USA is on the verge of complete bankruptcy. With this housing bill over the weekend our national debt stands at around 10.5 TRILLION dollars. We are getting to the point that people will stop buying our T bills, then we might have to live within our means for once

you spout the same shit in every single thread, regardless of relevance to the thread itself. when are you going to figure out that not only does no one here care, but that you're also wrong.
__________________
“My sorrow: to dream of simple times and wake in mine . . . .”
—Ola DaRiol, “Regrets”
Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 AM Xcric is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

coolxboxgamer
 


thats a great sign
(taken from the official STL federal reserve site)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


"The reason they did it this way because if Bear Sterns had to declare bankrupcy the exec's would have had to return their billions in bonuses."

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


"our economy is like a house of cards, impressive on the outside, but flimsy and empty on the inside"

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
d67ca28ff460654694fe788f176c6640 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.

Last edited by coolxboxgamer; 07-31-2008 at 12:59 AM..
Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM coolxboxgamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

That German Guy
Moderation is key. Especially in forums.
 
That German Guy's Avatar
 
coolfagbuxgamer:

Keep it on topic or risk bannage. I support your right to be retarded, but you shouldn't continually derail serious discussions plzkthx
__________________
Get money,
fuck bitches,
smoke trees.
WISDOM
Old 07-31-2008, 01:11 AM That German Guy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
No.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 AM Straw Man is online now  
Reply With Quote
#9  

staindfan08
pwned
 
fuck the middle east! let them handle there own issues!

if that texas redneck bush would leave them alone, maybe we wouldn't be hated!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 AM staindfan08 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

BigFuzzyArchon
 
 
war on terror is fake, terrorists might as well just be called criminals. We aren't going to ever "win" this kind of war, it is a never ending war designed so that we can conquer some more 3rd world countries.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:06 AM BigFuzzyArchon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

coolxboxgamer
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
war on terror is fake, terrorists might as well just be called criminals. We aren't going to ever "win" this kind of war, it is a never ending war designed so that we can conquer some more 3rd world countries.

qft, Mccain and his Neo-con pro Bush friends love this kind of stuff, Obama also is no different.... We need a TRUE conservative

we need Ron Paul/Bob Barr/somebody good
__________________
d67ca28ff460654694fe788f176c6640 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.

Last edited by coolxboxgamer; 07-31-2008 at 11:13 AM..
Old 07-31-2008, 11:06 AM coolxboxgamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Iraq isn't getting better because insurgents are leaving for Afghanistan, that's totally ridiculous. At most some of the tactics used in Iraq where copied by Afghanis.

The Taliban wouldn't collapse if opium became a non-issue, their support base goes beyond simple drug connections. They're supported by tribes throughout Southern Afghanistan and Pakistan and their connection is an ethnic, religious, and cultural bond that doesn't break so easy.

It's hard to say if Afghanistan was really justified or not but I don't see any way the US or NATO will ultimately be successful in stamping out the Taliban and maintaining a somewhat stable and secular government.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 AM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
I stopped reading after this little jewel..

"Some opponents to the war have said that opposed to a military invasion what we should have done after 9/11 is sent out a special police force to capture/kill Bin Laden and key members of Al Qaeda. True, this would have left the Taliban in power, but it also would have saved a lot of lives."

read that again...and again if you must...then think about it.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

Badger_sly
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I stopped reading after this little jewel..

"Some opponents to the war have said that opposed to a military invasion what we should have done after 9/11 is sent out a special police force to capture/kill Bin Laden and key members of Al Qaeda. True, this would have left the Taliban in power, but it also would have saved a lot of lives."

read that again...and again if you must...then think about it.

Atma Weapon and coolxbox are either simpleton 12 year olds that recently found this forum, or free_willy is recruiting more goofballs like him.

You can tell they are young, because it's obvious that they never knew or have forgotten why we went into Afganistan. My guess is that they were 5 or younger back in Sept 2001.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 PM Badger_sly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.