General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

[QUOTE=pyramid;22954588]Except that plug in hybrids that could run on batteries for the first 50 miles could satisfy the commuting needs of like 90% of the nation without using gasoline.

too expensive, not practical for the middle class

Right, total shams. You've probably never even seen this "Sun" or felt this "Wind". Who do environmentalists think they are kidding?

Not efficient for the majority of the country, nuclear is a much better choice

Unless you care about soil sustainability...

no thanks, normal veggies are good enough for me. I'm not paying fucking $5 for a head of "organic" lettuce

Things other than coal, and petroleum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_energy
even has its own wikipedia page.

OMG IT HAS ITS OWN WIKIPEDIA???

Whaaa?

Last edited by CommiePunk; 08-02-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

welcome

Quote:
too expensive, not practical for the middle class
Economies of scale would make it cheap enough for everyone.

Quote:

Not efficient for the majority of the country, nuclear is a much better choice
Yea, I agree we need nukes to address the problem, but the issue of radioactive waste is real and it would be best to invest in energy production, in the long run, whose only drawback is land use.

Quote:
no thanks, normal veggies are good enough for me. I'm not paying fucking $5 for a head of "organic" lettuce
A lot of organic food isn't subsidized. The stuff that is cheaper in the supermarket you are paying for twice through your taxes. If you believe in the free market then you should be making choices that run subsidized agriculture out of business.

MachinegunHead

Getting angry at the people who are 'going green' is the equivalent of having a maid and telling her that she is wasting her time and get off the cleaning bandwagon.

Creepster.old
I may be a lowly 340k but I still <3 [H]ard|on

Damnit, pyramid beat me to it

What's wrong with solar and wind? I'ts pretty damn abundant, and all the energy we use ends up in the atmosphere and turns into weather - Hence all the freak storms and floods. Getting back some of that energy seems to be a pretty nice idea
Both solar and wind tend to use some nasty chemicals/materials but they can be recycled as soon as it turns into a problem.

You can blame the price of hybrids/electric (or total lack of) on oil companies, i know it's conspiracist, but thats how it is. Just yeasterday i read about a new batteri (Some beefed up, safe LI-ion pack), that the company did NOT want to be used for propulsion... Backed by chevron...

I try to eat as organic as i can, with the current food prices it costs about the same as regular, but im not eating pesticides and whatnot. whether or not it tastes better is a personal taste-but opinion, but it tastes different. And i love my organic jersey milk

i try to recycle as much as possible, but im no saint, so lights get left on every once in a while and what not. There's whackjobs on both sides of the field, just like religion.

The kind i hate the most is the "for every light you turn off, i'll have 3 computers turned on" - Kinda like shitting in your mothers womb. So far this is the only planet we got and i think we should at least *try* not making it worse than it already is.

And why is ethanol being hyped liked that? its shitty - BioDiesel is where it's at - Haven't you got that many diesels in the states? I ran my last car on pure veggie oil, saved me a ton of money

Creepster.old

And to keep things on topic:

I don't really think you'll find any arguments against going green, but there will be tards. Best idea is to try and do your own unbiased research and find arguments against the stuff that grinds your gears the most

CommiePunk

I throughly enjoy pissing off "go green" people. Strictly on the basis that i think they're rediculous and usually easily offendable. Which is why I tout the fact that 2 of my vehicles have absolutely no smog equipment or catalytic convertors on them. And I refuse to buy those stupid light bulbs. LOL.

take that leftys.

CommiePunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinegunHead View Post
Getting angry at the people who are 'going green' is the equivalent of having a maid and telling her that she is wasting her time and get off the cleaning bandwagon.

no, because the green bandwagon people are telling me what to do and how to live my life. fuck that. i don't care what you do, but do it and shut up about it, and don't tell me what to do.

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

I don't go green for the sake of going green, I go green as a side effect of being a finicky cheap bastard. Here's how I'm saving the planet:

(1) I buy almost all of my groceries at the local market. They're cheaper, a hell of a lot more fresh, peppers and apples and things aren't coated in wax, plus I'm supporting local business instead of some shareholder somewhere. The stuff brought in from chile/indonesia/etc at the big box store generally sucks, so I don't buy it.

None of this is "eco footprint" , but if I am saving the planet by buying vegetables that don't suck, then yay me.

(2) I use a push mower, not a gas mower. Reasons for this are (a) I'm too cheap to go buy a gas mower or the gas to go in one, (b) push mowers are actually lighter and easier to push around than a gas mower, and (c) if I mowed my front lawn with a gas mower, I'd have to carry said mower up and down stairs. Don't want that.

Of course, I use a gas snowblower in the winter, but that's because shovelling 150 feet of driveway by hand after getting a foot of snow isn't going to happen.

(3) I turn shit off when I'm not using it.

I do this not for reducing my carbon footprint, I do it because leaving stuff on when I'm not using it is... pointless?

(4) I always check my car tire pressure to make sure I'm getting the best gas mileage possible.

I do this because it's basic fucking car maintenance. Mind you, I drive a turbo GTI, drive above the speed limit and floor the car in 2nd gear on highway on-ramps, so yeah, I'm destroying the planet. Never mind...

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinegunHead View Post

The maid is not having laws passed. And blocking my company from working because of lawsuits

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome View Post
Economies of scale would make it cheap enough for everyone.

Yea, I agree we need nukes to address the problem, but the issue of radioactive waste is real and it would be best to invest in energy production, in the long run, whose only drawback is land use.

A lot of organic food isn't subsidized. The stuff that is cheaper in the supermarket you are paying for twice through your taxes. If you believe in the free market then you should be making choices that run subsidized agriculture out of business.

radioactive waste is a non issue.

It's an ecofreak boogey man

Creepster.old

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
radioactive waste is a non issue.

It's an ecofreak boogey man

...And pebble bed reactors should take care of that. Nuclear ftw

Kevlar
Suga Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Get a Burger King cutout and put it next to it.

Ya, but what about the beer?

Creating work for others to clean up & then calling it a contribution is like me throwing up at a party & saying I brought some dessert-Sanjay

Kevlar
Suga Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0rg0n View Post
god damn it. I hate that shit.

this is mother fucking america where we can drive cars that rumble so hard our girls have to carry extra underpants! and we are proud of it!

Ummm, but I don't want any girls getting wet in my car

Creating work for others to clean up & then calling it a contribution is like me throwing up at a party & saying I brought some dessert-Sanjay

brfatal

I drive a car w/o catalytic converters and that gets 16 mph highway. I think that makes up for the 'conservation' efforts of about 20 Greenies.

Kevlar
Suga Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Oh noes, the dems want your guns and classic cars! C'mon everybody, grab your bumpkins and bibles, run on down to the crik and vote republican or ronald reagan will die!

I'll "debate" you any day.

lol, non sequitor inuendo! 

Actually, they would love to see classic cars off the road. They were pushing for it just a few years ago, but freedom and sanity prevailed. If they had their way we couldn't drive them at all and I'm sure it will come up again. They are out of control and wasting our taxes even bring such tripe to the table for a vote....wtf did they get voted into office for? None of them are doing the job and I mean none, on both sides of the isle.