General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
No, globalization is good. Changing your government to fit the needs of some faggy euro opinion is retarded and shows how lame you are. You're the typical liberal college asshole who'd rather be a pussy than a superpower just so the rest of the world will think you're so great.

Cooperation != compromising power. We can still be the worlds only hyperpower while still cooperating with other nations.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#151  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Trailblazer
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
No, globalization is good. Changing your government to fit the needs of some faggy euro opinion is retarded and shows how lame you are. You're the typical liberal college asshole who'd rather be a pussy than a superpower just so the rest of the world will think you're so great.

We're still using the English system of units.

epic fail.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 AM Trailblazer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#152  

jodynicH
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
We're still using the English system of units.

epic fail.


I'm sure a Democrat can find a way to blame that on Bush.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:00 AM jodynicH is offline  
Reply With Quote
#153  

kudos
I am a homofag with no friends and Halo owns my soul
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Cooperation != compromising power. We can still be the worlds only hyperpower while still cooperating with other nations.

Yeah because the US doesn't cooperate with other countries .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
We're still using the English system of units.

epic fail.

Oh god whatever will we do? I'm sure our country will burn like Rome because of our system of units. You are trailblazing to retardation you fucking .
Old 08-29-2008, 10:03 AM kudos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#154  

MrMaN383
Asshole Licking Douchebag
 
MrMaN383's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Sigh, no, once again you fail to understand.
Tracking and funding for higher education does not translate to more bureaucracy and money wasting. In higher education there exists no systematic method of student tracking from institution to institution--those that enter a 4 year institution and stay there throughout are fine, but those that leave one university to another or have gaps in enrollment have their information thrown to the wind. Many students go to new colleges and the new college has absolutely no knowledge about prior experiences and financial situations. There is actually less bureaucracy with an effective tracking system in place.

Funding in the way I meant was not throwing more money at colleges for them to spread around. The funding issue is needed for students from low-SES to be able to attend college. The current scholarship program for financial aid under the US government is woefully inadequate and many students with potential simply fall behind.

Private schools, IF they boast substantially higher scores than public schools (research shows that on average, there is NOT a substantial difference in scores) largely because of their uniform population. With a school requiring a tuition (private school), the school population ends up being the "well off" part of society. The homogeneous demographic of the school, rich, white, have the best options available to them at home. What is stated as private schools as a "superior curriculum, teaching staff, and instructional capacity" is really simply a reflection of that the students with the most home support and money are succeeding. Compare two students of equal ability--one from a well off family and one living in poverty. All things being equal (even if both were in public school) the student of affluence will be more successful. The student of poverty does not have a nurturing home environment, probably a lack of access to adequate nutrition and health care, while the student of affluence goes home to a welcoming, loving family that can help in their studies and learn in a quiet, warm atmosphere.

The reason for success in American education is socio-economic status, not failing teachers.

Maybe if you actually spent time asking the questions rather than assuming what certain things were, you'd understand better. You're not going to rile me up by trying to insult my intelligence. All I ask is that you approach this with an actual intention to learn--just like my students do every week. Those of you that come here to argue pure ideology with no facts to back it up, it's a waste of my time to try and really tell you how things are.

no, what i did is get you to the crux of your argument. poor homes are bad for learning and then what? spending more money at the school isnt going to change that. its going to create more 'poor homes' by causing those on the 'bubble' between being poor and being comfortable to give more of their money to your government spending program. giving the school more control over kids and creating a 'home' life for those who have a poor one will do nothing but encourage parents to view school as daycare even more than they do now. life isnt fair and you have to put the onus on parents to teach their kids and make their home conducive to education. some wont and those kids will fail, thats life. many, when made aware that the responsibility is theirs and theirs alone, will resolve themselves to the betterment of their childs future. schools are here to teach, not to raise good citizens.

ive been down this road before and people like you say the same shit every time. they never address the negative consequences of their increases in spending, attempt to take over the role of 'good parent' without recognizing that life isnt fair and shitty parents breed shitty kids and refuse to address or acknowledge the issue that their own good ol' boys club created. by that i mean the strong arm of teachers unions allowing shit teachers to keep their job without accountability and administrators to rape the public without fear of recourse.

so how on earth do you expect people to trust you (and i dont necessarily mean you in particular, simply the ideology you associate yourself with) to fix these problems when you refuse to fix the problems in your own home (so to speak)? without interfering with the general population via the government, why dont you force change amongst teachers and administrators to get the best qualified people in positions of need, get rid of the ones who dont measure up and hold yourselves accountable for the actions you take and money you spend?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM MrMaN383 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#155  

MrMaN383
Asshole Licking Douchebag
 
MrMaN383's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
Speaking as a member of another country, the US doesn't cooperate well. It bullies until it gets it's way. If the US was a kid in the playground, it would be the one who steals lunch money from the little kids.

and whats wrong with that? the big dog always takes what he wants from the little dogs kill. thats natural. however you choose to ignore that the big dog also saves the little dogs ass when trouble shows up. call us all the names you want but we throw a shitload of money at other countries.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 AM MrMaN383 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#156  

kudos
I am a homofag with no friends and Halo owns my soul
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
Nice flame. Though the fact that 9 years ago NASA fucked up because of it should you know, lead to a fix I'd think. And it's a pain in the ass at my government job because we use english while other engineers use metric.



Just another stupid issue thats a result of US non-cooperation. Obviously it isn't the end of the world.

I'm sure you never make mistakes either you fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
Speaking as a member of another country, the US doesn't cooperate well. It bullies until it gets it's way. If the US was a kid in the playground, it would be the one who steals lunch money from the little kids.

Do you think any other country that had the power we do wouldn't use it? I'd love for Russia, France, or China to be a world power. Just to see how fucking horrible this world would be.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 AM kudos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#157  

MrMaN383
Asshole Licking Douchebag
 
MrMaN383's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
government job



Quote:
Just another stupid issue thats a result of US non-cooperation. Obviously it isn't the end of the world.
why arent you calling for nations to cooperate with us and change to english units of measurement? rhetorical, btw.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 AM MrMaN383 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#158  

Trailblazer
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
I'm sure you never make mistakes either you fairy.

I learn from my mistakes and do what I can to fix them Base 10 number system versus arbitrary measurements, I DUNNO GAIS WHAT DO YOU THINK!? Fuck you.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM Trailblazer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#159  

Poutine
aka Pou Pou
 
Poutine's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
One would think that the country who basically is the worlds space exploration leader would be allowed to call the shots when it comes to what fucking units of measure it wants to use on its projects

NASA uses metric u
__________________
C G
Far away gone
F C G Am
I'll be hiding from the plans
G C
of too many hands.

- Jim Cuddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olHfAHqXbxI
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 AM Poutine is offline  
Reply With Quote
#160  

kudos
I am a homofag with no friends and Halo owns my soul
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poutine View Post
NASA uses metric u

According to that article they didnt
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 AM kudos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#161  

Trailblazer
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
One would think that the country who basically is the worlds space exploration leader would be allowed to call the shots when it comes to what fucking units of measure it wants to use on its projects

NASA uses metric exclusively as of 2007 Department of Defense uses english system. Not saying that NASA was particular but it was just an example of where different systems can have issues. That's all the article was meant to prove.

Quote:
The change will standardize parts and tools. It means Russian wrenches could be used to fix an air leak in a U.S.-built habitat. It will also make communications easier, such as when determining how far to send a rover for a science project.
LOL INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION.

Seriously, I don't get what's so offensive about the idea of the US switching schools and stuff over as well.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:25 AM Trailblazer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#162  

kudos
I am a homofag with no friends and Halo owns my soul
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
NASA uses metric exclusively as of 2007 Department of Defense uses english system.



LOL INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION.

Seriously, I don't get what's so offensive about the idea of the US switching schools and stuff over as well.

I bet it pisses you off like no other that we don't use British English either huh.

Who fucking cares
Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 AM kudos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#163  

Internets LOL
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
A little googling gave me these numbers:

Number of doctors in Canada: 62,307 (2006)

Number of doctors in the US: 812,000 (2000)

34% of Americans are obese.
24% of Canadians are obese.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 PM Internets LOL is offline  
Reply With Quote
#164  

teh_rapist
 
teh_rapist's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
When I take the oath of office for the presidency, I'll walk right over to my wife and french her. Like the iconic Naval photograph.

If you are referring to this photograph:

Then the only thing that makes it "naval" is the sailor. Alfred Eisenstaedt took the picture and was not from the navy; Edith Shain was a nurse in Doctor's Hospital in New York City. The photograph is usually called "V-J Day".

But yeah, I get what you are saying. Doesn't really matter what you call it. Just the photographer in me talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I'd actually want to start a thread where I would answer everyone's educational questions, but I highly doubt anyone would listen to me anyway

People would listen, a lot wouldn't take you seriously though. But start it, I know I'd listen (while touching myself). It's not like most OPs are taken seriously anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
...
The reason for success in American education is socio-economic status, not failing teachers.

Right, makes sense. (I am not trolling). I think most of your post relies on several scores and numbers, which I don't necessarily agree characterize a person's education, but ok, I can swing with that for argument's sake.I have one question though - Isn't the fact that the education in, particularly, the technical subjects, starts so late compared to other countries, hurting the system as a whole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
...
Maybe if you actually spent time asking the questions rather than assuming what certain things were, you'd understand better. You're not going to rile me up by trying to insult my intelligence. All I ask is that you approach this with an actual intention to learn--just like my students do every week. Those of you that come here to argue pure ideology with no facts to back it up, it's a waste of my time to try and really tell you how things are.

Dude, are you sure some humility wouldn't help? I mean, you are an adjunct professor (right? I seem to remember reading somewhere you were), not an internationally renown expert on some subject? Wouldn't it make you more convincing to be a wee bit less narcissistic?

Still though. Remember to post moar Jabba cat (yeah, yeah, I know you have to go home first, excuses, excuses...)
__________________
Spare the rape - spoil the child.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:44 PM teh_rapist is offline  
Reply With Quote
#165  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.