General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Haven't read the thread, just wanted to add a good quote I heard today on the radio.

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

G-Snake

I was raised a roman catholic, forced to church every Sunday as a kid, etc...Became an atheist in early University, and I think I've settled in and will remain Agnostic.

1) No religion, not a single one, is correct in their assumptions. If a higher power exist, it is absolutely not in the way that any of the religions claim to know. With this being said, as a former roman catholic, I feel my intelligence insulted knowing that the religion I used to follow implied it was absolutely right about it's scripture, and all other religions were wrong. These religions were created by people living in poverty, in the desert, some 2000 years ago, how they got the divine word of 'god' is just asinine.

2) When you sit down and analyze the vastness of the universe, and the endless possibilities. It's plausible to assume that somewhere, there's a possibility that a higher being lives beyond the measurables of our universe. It could be a magical god, or it could be a post-human running a simulation with us being spawned within, it doesn't matter in this case. The fact is, because we don't yet have all the answers, the possibility lingers, whether you like it or not.

3) It's not fair to that 'higher power' to devalue it's creation/existence on the grounds we're annoyed by all the religions have been polluting us with over the centuries. Since it's impossible to know if this higher power exist, I think it's naive to just say a God absolutely 100% doesn't exist.

For the record, I'm about 95% convinced a higher-power doesn't exist, and that we're all just a product of the most spectacular randomness that the universe has provided. The 5% is reserved for the fact that in-case a higher power does exist, I marvel at it's work, and am respectful and thankful that it gave me independent existence. Before my birth, I had no recollection of any of the events that have taken place since our universe's inception some 13.7 billion years ago, this is how I personally confirm my own existence.

Organized religion however, is a massive, massive joke, and has been one of humanity's greatest illnesses since the moment consciousness was spawned.

ry_goody

ieyeasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
\

This adds nothing to the conversation, Mr. Goody.

ry_goody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieyeasu View Post
\

This adds nothing to the conversation, Mr. Goody.

you guys are still debating this
so clearly there is a flaw with text or your 'conversation'
don't criticize me because I move away from failed methods to new experiments

if your 'conversation' had worked as in, dogma not existing, I would not be experimenting with new methods
it feels to me, your critisizism is just another method to further suppress pure undogmatic thought?
what dogma are you holding onto
rationality, evidence?

have you ever consider your own biology?

dogma of proper grammar

Last edited by ry_goody; 10-08-2007 at 07:57 AM..

SnakeIRye

Quote:
\

I don't "keep my mouth shut". I just don't find it necessary to stand on my roof with a trumpet.

As far as militant goes...I use it for feminist dykes too, so quit jacking off to your own sense of righteous indignation.

And you shouldn't use the word describing feminism either dumbass It's used by man-boys who are afraid of women.

Last edited by SnakeIRye; 10-08-2007 at 09:40 AM..

ieyeasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeIRye View Post
And you shouldn't use the word describing feminism either dumbass It's used by man-boys who are afraid of women.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
what dogma are you holding onto
rationality, evidence?

Calling rationality or empirical thought "dogmatic" isn't an insult, it's more of a compliment actually. Get a fucking clue... clearly all the drugs you're doing are rotting your brain and instilling some overwhelming fear of reality in you.

Who the fuck do you think you're going to convince by disavowing rationality / logic / empirical thought? Sorry to burst your bubble, but those are pretty much the only useful tools that exist for winning any sort of argument or debate.

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

Quote:
Am I being defensive? I thought I've been doing a good job of being dispassionate.

I do consider myself non-arrogant on the matter.

I realized that i misinterpreted your comments, and edited mine accordingly....

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeIRye View Post
You're absolutely right, we might not yet have the tools to discover this hiding invisible man, but it doesn't mean you should get on your knees and start praying to the lord or respect those who participate in such drivel. Especially when reality suggests that even if a god existed, doesn't interfere or care about human affairs.

Let's not forgot who wrote the bible...mankind. Bible says the world was created in 7 days. Considering how mankind loves to exaggerate things, how do we know it wasn't millions or billions of years?

People who take the bible literally are fools.

ry_goody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Calling rationality or empirical thought "dogmatic" isn't an insult, it's more of a compliment actually. Get a fucking clue... clearly all the drugs you're doing are rotting your brain and instilling some overwhelming fear of reality in you.

Who the fuck do you think you're going to convince by disavowing rationality / logic / empirical thought? Sorry to burst your bubble, but those are pretty much the only useful tools that exist for winning any sort of argument or debate.

I do agree with the idea that rationality and logic are incredibly valuable.

I mean, I am in love with technology to a degree that some may consider it harmful to me. Technology, the ultimate product of logic and rationality. Believe me, I understand it's usefulness.

However, where I step away from you is your supposition that it's the 'only' useful tool that we have. I believe our disagreement lies in the fact that you do not know what your definition for 'useful' is.

What is your definition for useful?

My definition for something 'useful' is how much happier it makes you. Yes hippie bullshits, I know. But have you ever considered, tooling your life around happiness is the primary goal is actually, not that stupid of a thing to do. But thats it's actually ideal.

Now, I can only look at colleges of today because they are the pinnacle point at which the values of rationality, logic and structure are ingrained into younger minds. Then realize, if happiness is at all a valid goal, the 'tools' they perpetuate are a fucking abomination http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi...story1006k.htm

Who do I think I'm going to convince? The ones that begin to realize there most precious 'tools' for life are in fact the ones disallowing them to maintain pure happiness there whole life.

I would ask you, just what the 'fuck' are you trying to accomplish by saying rationality is the only valuable thing a human mind can posses?

Have you ever consider that happiness may in fact be, just a placebo effect, even if you manage to buy a nice house and car to 'present' it?

Christians would also agree, when presented there rigid guidelines for life, that make there life hell, as a Dogma, it would also be a compliment. Christ is your savior, your going to heaven, the 10 commandments are good. In fact... they love being presented this compliment and the fact they have 'something' rigid and concrete in there. They repeatedly go back for more Dogma, they are Dogma addicts. Just as you are. Have you ever considered the full potential of your individual unnationalized intuition?

Dogma is bad no matter what flavor it manifests itself as.

Last edited by ry_goody; 10-09-2007 at 07:32 AM..

Ralph

Key phrase: "only useful tools that exist for winning any sort of argument or debate."

You're not going to convince anyone with all your feelings and shroom-induced hallucination . Claiming you've reached a higher level of knowledge or enlightenment because of your drug habits is great and all, but what do you have to show for it that will actually persuade anyone else to believe you? If happiness is the goal (which I agree that it is) then the methods for achieving it will vary from one person to another, so you can't really claim to be any better off or wiser than anyone else.

If owning as many Ferraris as possible makes Mike happy and renouncing all material possessions makes Joe happy we have no right whatsoever to criticize either one.

JanstheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Haven't read the thread, just wanted to add a good quote I heard today on the radio.

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Until those that don't collect stamps actively and frequently go out of their way to tell the stamp collectors that their hobby is stupid.

Then their hobby is douchebaggery.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanstheMan View Post
Until those that don't collect stamps actively and frequently go out of their way to tell the stamp collectors that their hobby is stupid.

Then their hobby is douchebaggery.

A. It was a Joke.
B. Stamp Collectors don't go around telling non-stamp-collectors that collecting stamps is the only way to avoid an eternity in hell.
C. If they did, turnabout would be fair play.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
A. It was a Joke.
B. Stamp Collectors don't go around telling non-stamp-collectors that collecting stamps is the only way to avoid an eternity in hell.
1. Stamp collectors dont try to make it illegal to buy booze on sunday
2. Stamp collectors dont fight wars over whether licking the stamp up and down or sideways is the correct method
3. Stamp collectors dont try to make stamp licking replace science courses
C. If they did, turnabout would be fair play.

a little touchup