General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

I want to know what your example is anyways and I don't think it matters that I won't take it seriously.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

FBAnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
I want to know what your example is anyways and I don't think it matters that I won't take it seriously.

OK. Parapsychology, whether you view it as a legitimate form of science or not, cannot explain all the phenomena it encounters. Things like teleportation, material and de-materialization, etc. which indicate something paranormal in nature. In extreme circumstances where paranormal activity is threatening the safety/well-being of an individual or family and there is no definable cause or reason for the activity, in my OPINION, the scientist should move over and call on a theologian. In such scenarios, the cause of this activity might be caused be forces that act outside the boundaries of science; forces like demons, for example. If you want specific examples, you can look at the Amityville story, or the events in Brookfield, Connecticut in the 1980s the result of which a man, Arne Johnson, is still serving time for a murder he did not commit.

I will be the first to admit how bizarre and questionable what I just said is but as I originally said, it is my opinion, my belief that science cannot and will not be able to explain away everything that humans experience on earth.

Renork

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBAnder View Post
IMHO a true scientist is able to step back and call it quits and call in a theologian when the situation warrants.

You idiot, if every time something was unexplained all the worlds thinkers went to the theologians and took their word as 100% truth we would still be living like its the bronze age, maybe even the stone age.

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

Quote:
OK. Parapsychology, whether you view it as a legitimate form of science or not, cannot explain all the phenomena it encounters.
There isn't any paraspychological phenomena, so there isn't anything to explain. When you have psychologists criticizing you for poor scientific methodology, what you're doing is definitely not "legitimate science"

Quote:
Things like teleportation, material and de-materialization, etc. which indicate something paranormal in nature.
Were it to occur, it would not be paranormal at all, it would be normal. But it doesn't occur, so we don't need to worry about that.

Quote:
In such scenarios, the cause of this activity might be caused be forces that act outside the boundaries of science; forces like demons, for example.
Well, duh. Everybody knows that 85% of all paranormal activities are caused by demons.

Quote:
I will be the first to admit how bizarre and questionable what I just said is but as I originally said, it is my opinion, my belief that science cannot and will not be able to explain away everything that humans experience on earth.
Reality is not a matter of opinion.

artificial001

Guys, I think I'm losing control. I turned atheist and I suddenly have the urge to kill millions of people.

Renork

Quote:
Things like teleportation, material and de-materialization, etc. which indicate something paranormal in nature. .

Give me confirmed examples of these things happening please.

Quote:
In extreme circumstances where paranormal activity is threatening the safety/well-being of an individual or family and there is no definable cause or reason for the activity, in my OPINION, the scientist should move over and call on a theologian..

Again please provide confirmed examples of such an occurrence and how the theologian was able to help.

Quote:
In such scenarios, the cause of this activity might be caused be forces that act outside the boundaries of science; forces like demons, for example.

Yet again, please show me evidence that forces such as demons or whatever else you had in mind exist.

Quote:
I If you want specific examples, you can look at the Amityville story, or the events in Brookfield, Connecticut in the 1980s the result of which a man, Arne Johnson, is still serving time for a murder he did not commit.

Will look up and read specifics eventually.

Quote:

Given an infinite time line anything science can not prove and explain does not exist. Of course there are many things we do not understand now but the only way we will never understand them is if we kill ourselves off as a species.

FBAnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
You idiot, if every time something was unexplained all the worlds thinkers went to the theologians and took their word as 100% truth we would still be living like its the bronze age, maybe even the stone age.

I am not denying the role of science in the developing and advancing of our society. Science is not only important, it is a NECCESITY. Without it we would be, as you said living like the bronze or stone age.

Renork

Quote:
I am not denying the role of science in the developing and advancing of our society. Science is not only important, it is a NECCESITY. Without it we would be, as you said living like the bronze or stone age.

But you think that every time science runs into an apparent dead end they should take the theologians word as 'gospel' and give up?

mathlete
I'm the cheapest person on this planet, maybe the universe.

Quote:
OK. Parapsychology, whether you view it as a legitimate form of science or not, cannot explain all the phenomena it encounters. Things like teleportation, material and de-materialization, etc. which indicate something paranormal in nature. In extreme circumstances where paranormal activity is threatening the safety/well-being of an individual or family and there is no definable cause or reason for the activity, in my OPINION, the scientist should move over and call on a theologian. In such scenarios, the cause of this activity might be caused be forces that act outside the boundaries of science; forces like demons, for example. If you want specific examples, you can look at the Amityville story, or the events in Brookfield, Connecticut in the 1980s the result of which a man, Arne Johnson, is still serving time for a murder he did not commit.

WTF WTF WTF

christ, you're another ry_goody kind of tard, aren't you?

Scientists don't believe in your shit, so we don't really care what you think about us.

rizla
djfacemachine is the hotness I desire

Quote:

you watch too many A&E specials

[M]Böner Crew

mathlete
I'm the cheapest person on this planet, maybe the universe.

Quote:
Given an infinite time line anything science can not prove and explain does not exist. Of course there are many things we do not understand now but the only way we will never understand them is if we kill ourselves off as a species.

Exactly. Science is really just the belief that the universe behaves in a "rational" way that can be measured, tested, and predicted. Even IF paranormal occurrences were real, they would still presumably be explainable scientifically given enough data and time.

PopeKevinI

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial001 View Post
Guys, I think I'm losing control. I turned atheist and I suddenly have the urge to kill millions of people.

I have a fool-proof plan to prevent a genocide: start with yourself

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial001 View Post

Kind of like Stalin. His mom wanted him to be a priest and look what happened

FBAnder

Quote:
But you think that every time science runs into an apparent dead end they should take the theologians word as 'gospel' and give up?

No, of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
WTF WTF WTF

christ, you're another ry_goody kind of tard, aren't you?

Scientists don't believe in your shit, so we don't really care what you think about us.

No, I am not forcing anything on anyone. Your reaction is exactly why I did not want to say anything in the first place. You make it very apparent that you not only disbelieve what I say (which is 100% A-OK) you disrespect ME as in individual, and that is just simply unfair.

Renork

Quote:
No, of course not.

Quote:
My only gripe with science lies in the scientists who refuse to believe there are things that exist outside the realm of science that science will NEVER be able to explain. IMHO a true scientist is able to step back and call it quits and call in a theologian when the situation warrants.

Give me an example of something that can never and will never be explained and prove that it will never be explained. Otherwise you are saying that scientists should give up when they are stuck and take the word of theologians as absolute truth.