General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Veeb0rg

From his thread in the KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongboy
to automay folks that are wondering where I am (i'm reading at work, omg lol requested ban)

I needed to get some stuff done yesterday and today while not at work so I asked to be KCed for a day and icwater granted my request

tonight will have updates, big updates

no trip to seattle this weekend so it will be painting weekend

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

un baconed, time for an update

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

so it's been a little while.

I finally rented an air compressor that kept running while I was using it hit the sand blasting pretty hard - especially the engine bay, once finished with that I got the rest of the body (all just small spots) This was my first time sand blasting and I learned a lot of things, mostly to wear ear plugs and goggles and a mask - not really for protection (other hten the goggles) but to keep sand from getting inside, shit is crunchy! the 20/30 silica sand I bought for 5 bucks/100lb sack worked pretty well, I had no complaints really and used about 80 lb of it to do all the blasting I need. I have no comparison as far as abrasive so I would recommend this method for those on a budget.

I was supposed to pick up my parts car this weekend and drop my sold engine off in Seattle but my dad didn't get his check so I didn't get mine and wont until next tuesday. I've already got a 4 day weekend next weekend so i'll probably use part of that to trek to seattle and pick up the car and what not while also working in portland. grr! I was looking forward to that this weekend.

so instead i'm doing the majority (hopefully all!) of the paint work this weekend. I started with the engine bay today as you'll see, wanted to get all those large exposed bare metal parts atleast primed before they started rusting again. tomorrow will be body work and prep (and mostly sand removal....) from the rest of the car and sunday i'm hoping to shoot two coats. I'll also be hitting the junkyards in spokane tomorrow and hopefully finding a round grill! I sorta need that...

anyways, on to the pics!
a before pic - you can see some other pics earlier in the thread

starting in on the worst of it

completed lower right portion - you can see how much of an improvement this is over the original

the whole engine bay sand blasted - it got a simple green clean and acetone wipe down before finally being painted (I left the front cross member becuase its getting replaced)

cleaned left hand side - pic doesn't really do it justice, it was MUCH cleaner then before after hitting it with the acetone

this is before wipedown but after the wash - simple grreen didn't do that great of job removing some of the oil, i'm going to get some oil/grease remover tomorrow for the rest of the car. I just used more acetone in the engine bay

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother

the results ! obviously this still has to have a top coat of my finaly color on it but its a big step for me to finally see it getting towards the color i'm targeting. the primer did a great job of covering up all the little imperfections in the engine bay - I did a slack job of perfecting it since it wont be looked at all the time, and it gets dents from normal use anyways. the rest of the body is going to be perfect before I lay down paint on it.

I didn't want to start on removing the sand from the rest of the body while I was letting the primer dry so I blasted the front quarter panels. they are pretty rusty around the edges but they'll serve my needs for now. they will probably be the first pieces I shoot with my top coat to test and i'm going to try that tomorrow evening. that means i've gotta sand and fill one of those first thing in the morning!

I also recoated the backsides of my front wheel wells. Took the wire brush and knocked off anything loose and or grease and rocoated both sides. I still need to do the inside of the quarter panels but I was VERY impressed with how well this stuff applied and the results of a single coat and how far a single can got me (both sides with about 1/4 can leftover!)

it was just applied so there are wet/dry spots but the flash did more exposing of those then you can see in real life, the final coat is very rubbery and thick

it was the cheapest rubberized stuff at the local napa too, highly recommended.

lots more posts this weekend as the car changes color

edit: damnit, I don't post and everbody posts in the thread, I do post and nobody says anything, let me know that you are still interested!

Last edited by Dongboy; 06-17-2006 at 01:44 AM..

lgbr

Have fun in Spokane. Most of the junkyards here really dont' have anything. Whitey's Wrecking and Spalding's will be your best bet.

I'll be at work on the valley (just off the freeway) all day. Hollar if you need anything.

1991 Honda CBR 600 F2
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Diesel

Izanagi

We're interested...looking great. I'll be in Alaska for a week, but will comment after my trip.

Have you thought of doing a remote battery in the right rear? Offset drivers weight some and lose that busted tray.

tedro

I say you should have or should cut out or cut off that battery tray and fab up a new one. This is you chance to customize and replace things that ordinarily would be really hard to do.

The Spyder

Borrow my compressor + tools so I can have that hard drive. LOL

Good job.

Efflixi

Wow...
STRAIGHT UP 39TH STREET NIGGAH ALWAYS BALLIN ALWAYS HUSTLIN' 394L NEVER FRONTIN NEVER HATIN #39
http://www.genmay.net/showthread.php?t=724129

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

That looks very nice... keep up the good work
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Ultrabrite

needs more updating

TrollingKiddyFaggot
K600
I'm a trolling fanboy who ignores reason in itemized responses. I'll be banned soon.

Very interested in the project and I don't even like VWs. I just like seeing other people that do their own work (I'm learning how to DIY some projects too)

krenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedro
I say you should have or should cut out or cut off that battery tray and fab up a new one. This is you chance to customize and replace things that ordinarily would be really hard to do.
I have to agree with you. Tongboy seems to be very thorough and have an excellent attention to detail. Why would he choose to overlook this?

Other than that, this project is keeping my attention. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

Izanagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenshin
I have to agree with you. Tongboy seems to be very thorough and have an excellent attention to detail. Why would he choose to overlook this?

Other than that, this project is keeping my attention. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

From reading his posts it appears he is skipping a few details for now to save time and get to that car show. If anyone will go back and redo stuff its Tongboy. I mean look, he stripped a car to nothing.

dcbullet

This is one of the best threads ever in automay. Keep us updated. I really like that series of rabbit. The speed of the progress you are making is incredible! It would take me a year to do what you have done.