General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Daemonite

Is the Ethanol content of Arco gasoline the reason why car's get bad gas mileage?

My friend showed me his owners manual for his family's MPV and Mazda stated never to use any ethanol mixed gasolines or else the warranty would void. I also noticed that not many gasoline companies use ethanol except for those with really cheap gas, then I learned that ethanol mixed gasoline is subsidized.

Is this the reason why arco gas sucks? or is it something else?

[edit]
did some of my own research
found out that ethanol is damaging to many rubber fuel lines, tanks, seals, fuel pumps and regulators if they werent made to use ethanol gasoline. Also because of it's high oxygen content may cause o2 sensors to lean out air/fuel mixtures which all contribute to damage or poor performance/mileage. Plus it can also cause vapor lock, and trouble starting up if your car wasn't designed for it.

Last edited by Daemonite; 10-25-2004 at 08:02 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

The Poi

if you arent using MTBE, you're using ethanol. And MTBE is now illegal (at least in Cali it is). Every car in cali runs on ethanol mixed gas

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I thought Ethanol was needed for California's special blend of gas

meat head

MTBE is really bad especially for older cars.. it plays hell on the older fuel lines.. it can definetly gunk up injectors.. ethanol is actually better for your car from what I understand.. 76 has been running it pretty much all along and now all the gas companies are switching to it from MTBE (at least in cali)

Daemonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcK_PlAgUe22
I thought Ethanol was needed for California's special blend of gas

arggggh california gas sucks

miasman1
I'm a pathetic virgin.

Arco uses higher than usual amounts of ethanol to cut their gas down. Ethanol has a higher octane rating, but shitty thermokinetic energy ratings.

Bill Brasky
He killed Wolfman Jack with a trident

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasman1
Arco uses higher than usual amounts of ethanol to cut their gas down. Ethanol has a higher octane rating, but shitty thermokinetic energy ratings.

10% in their regular and midgrade is higher than normal?

(no sticker for the premium gas)

I'm a Son of a Bitch and you fucking love me for it.

jarhed13
I own faces - <3 Toad

Ethanol has been used for AGES in California, Union76 used it even while MTBE's were in use during the winter for extra oxygenation of their gas (I read it on a sticker at the pump years back)...it serves the same purpose as the MTBE's but doesn't pollute water like MTBE's do, and its easily obtainable from corn.

Comatose51

Aren't most modern cars in the US capable of running on both gasoline and ethanol?

JuJuBeee
Too stupid to know better and too immature to care

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poi
if you arent using MTBE, you're using ethanol. And MTBE is now illegal (at least in Cali it is). Every car in cali runs on ethanol mixed gas

incorrect mtbe is still used, at least the sticker saying that it is still in use is still on gas pumps as recently as last month
My Genmay Buddies (in no order): Duma, BuudWeizErr, Louietsang, ant-M, deathtron_5000, Warm Fuzzies, Gabe, Ablix, SoulZen, MeXPuNk3r, Snarkfish, Prof. Frink, shiki, subscience, Vilkata, zumpiez, raj000777, Cyndi_Fapper, teharsonz0r, Gearhead

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

76 uses MTBE.

miasman1
I'm a pathetic virgin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comatose51
Aren't most modern cars in the US capable of running on both gasoline and ethanol?
only if they are FFVs, the Ford Taurus with the 3.0L Vulcan can use E85.

jarhed13
I own faces - <3 Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFanel
76 uses MTBE.
Wrong again Mr. VanFanel...all the stations around Fremont, yes, where you and I call home, had/have banners hanging saying "NO MTBE's" or "MTBE FREE" as Union76 already switched over to ethanol additives...

Zenja

There's nothing bad about ethanol. Theoretically it will give you a little less gas milage and a little more power, but that's irrelevant really.

All the gas stations here are 91 octane max except for Mohawk. Mohawk uses ethanol to boost its premium to 92 octane and they have 90 octane for the price of regular. I haven't heard any realistic proof that ethanol is bad for cars. On the other hand, it might be possible that some places use more ethanol to just bring it up to 91 octane to compensate for crappy gas.

Disregard this post :P

miasman1
I'm a pathetic virgin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhed13
Wrong again Mr. VanFanel...all the stations around Fremont, yes, where you and I call home, had/have banners hanging saying "NO MTBE's" or "MTBE FREE" as Union76 already switched over to ethanol additives...
76=ConocoPhilips

Unocal 76 is still kicking around, but they decided to focus on oil exploration.