Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

dipshit.
royjr
65/m/furry looking for 12/m/top

Update:

I finally got around to painting the SuperMag

OLD:

NEW:

(Since this photo was taken, the bellypan is now blue as well)
"I'm done here fuck all of you faggots." -GhEttOrAiD 07-16-2014, 05:10 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

dipshit.
royjr

Man, NOONE"S updated this thread since the start of the riding season. You all suck.

Here's some updates I suppose:

The SV, prior to the mods posted below:

Shortened the Yoshi pipe by 8". Amazing growl now

New Michelin PP3 and front fender extender:

Will post some pics of the '09 GSXR 750 rear shock I'm upgrading to, as well as a Scott's steering dampener.

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200 View Post
You’ll notice I don’t mention any Ducati Monsters as good beginner bikes below; that’s because they’re Italian. Lots of routine maintenance, pricey parts, and pricey dealer labour are the norm with Duc’s. Buy a nice 748 or something as a 2nd/3rd bike.

I'm buying a Ducati Monster because it's Italian and it looks better than the Honda CRF250L.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

^necrobumping asschampion

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Got the Triumph back to riding condition after a 6 month layover. Given the mileage, she will be due for a full-restore soon; not quite sure what direction to take as of yet. :/

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
Got the Triumph back to riding condition after a 6 month layover. Given the mileage, she will be due for a full-restore soon; not quite sure what direction to take as of yet. :/

Victor

dipshit.
royjr

Quote:

Dat garage floor

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

The floor is great, just don't dare drop a bolt or you'll be spending the next 20 minutes trying trying to 'see the sailboat in the Magic Eye 3-D picture'....

I want this, a lot....

DopefishLives

Bike Blog:

I've been pretty-busy with work, the welcomed burden of home ownership, and the endearing labor of love that has been my very-recent foray into fatherhood; not leaving me much time to toodle-off on the motorbike.These days, my faithful Triumph has been little-more than glorified garage jewelry, getting only the occasional tug into service to ferry me to work when I forget to put gas in the car. Harley-Davidson however had the perfect excuse for me to stow the Battery Tender, check the vital fluids and dust off my riding gear; Project LiveWire.

LiveWire has been a candid subject as of late but go back to June and every news outlet, magazine, blog, and Internet veteran with a motorcycle endorsement was talking about Harley's daring new concept electric motorcycle. To understand just how dramatic a departure of ethos LiveWire is for Harley-Davidson, you have to look back at the last 111 (This number is important) years that they have been building motorcycle and how many of those years are dominated by 45* V-Twin engines, loud pipes, and lumbering chassis; all coming together to form the leather-clad HD lifestyle and signature sound that fans and foes alike expect from their motorcycles. LiveWire does away with all of that, and I mean all of it.

The standard-issue big-cube behemoth engine and its accompanied vibrations and noises have been replaced by an incredibly-smooth and silent electric motor, tucked into the belly of the motorcycle and consuming less square-footage than a traditional Evolution crankcase sans jugs. This heavily-styled motor churns out 74bhp and 52ft/lbs of torque through a single-speed reduction-gearbox out to a long-standing Harley innovation belt-driven rear wheel. These numbers may sound low to some seasoned riders but it is important to remember that while traditional engines must reach their target powerband to see their peak power, electric motors deliver all of their torque from 0 RPM, providing instant power. With the engine now absent the fuel tank and fluids may be omitted as well; instead a dense stack of lithium-ion battery packs rest atop the motor and gearbox. Those worried that aural emissions will be missed need worry not as the gearbox sports bevel cut gears, emitting a distinct tone that increases with vehicle speed. Despite the batteries the bike is a featherweight compared to any other modern Harley; some outlets claim it to be as low as 360lbs however the representative I spoke with stated it was closer to 460lbs. This is heavy compared to the swath of modern supersport bikes readily available to the temporary citizens willing to plunk down the cash but is under the average weight of standard motorbikes and on-par with the present-day electric competition. To meet such weight targets and package the drivetrain properly Harley had to have another change of approach regarding the chassis. Historically they have adhered to traditional steel-tube wrap-around frames for just about every motorcycle they've ever produced; ignoring the short-lived yet innovative efforts of Erick Buell from the 90's into the early 2000's. This wrap-around design is simple, easy to manufacture and cost-effective but it is also heavy, wasteful with space and limits suspension geometry options. Taking a page from the 21st century, Harley sandcast a strong and light frame from aluminum alloy, weighing only 19lbs in finished form.

What had my attention was the design. If there if anything that Harley-Davidson has in spades aside from devoted fans and lots of money, it is style. Many of their bikes hark back to the 50's era of long, low, wide, with whitewall tires, vivid colors, ivory white accents, and copious chrome trim. On the other end of the sale brochure you'll find the Sportster family brings the girth of the canvas down to a reasonable city-friendly size and offers every shade of black or bass-boat metallic flake a second-generation hot-rodder or young semi-successful MBA looking to make a statement could ever hope for. I'll admit I have a secret love for the style of the Sportster, however the LiveWire looks like a rolling highlight reel to the custom motorcycle scene with classic Harley-Davidson mixed in. The proportions, material and color elections and fine detailing on brightwork and components is exceptional! I looked long and hard for a flaw in the styling but it is a picture of perfection, at least to my eyes.

It is a painting of the potential future of motorcycles and the genesis of Harley-Davidson. While skeptical of the powertrain, I was sold on the looks and ideas behind it all. Harley-Davidson has spent the last few months touring America in a big truck full of LiveWire prototypes, allowing the media and licensed Regular Joes alike have their chance atop this mystical vision of the future.

Last Saturday they were going to be as close as ever, stopping at Brandon Harley-Davidson in Tampa, FL. I called up Grabulator (UID:10K+=fuckall) and orchestrated a ride down to see what this thing was really all about. We were privileged to only a few backroads before the hour-long, high-speed burn down Interstate 4 from Orlando to Tampa. There were other routes that might have been more-fun but we were already running late and couldn't take any chances on getting turned away on account of tardiness.

The dealership was massive, modeled after a 19th century cattle town but lined with hundreds of chrome-laden motorcycles. We rode around back to find the Project LiveWire semi and trailer, local radio vans, a BBQ pit, electrical charging station setups and even a lineup of all-electric or semi-electric cars. His Honda RVT1000 (RC51) and my Triumph Speed Triple stuck out like dog's balls among the sea of American motorcycles that don't feature an Indian head on the crankcase cover but like the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, we said 'Whatever' and headed for check-in.

We were late, woops, but were assured we could get in with the next group in half an hour. In the meanwhile we walked around, spoke to some of the other attendees and reviewed the wares that were on display. I was truly impressed by the organization, detail and execution of the whole LiveWire marketing approach. The tour was a great idea, but they had a custom semi-truck for the event that served as the backdrop for the 'show floor' of the event. Along with the fleet of rideable prototypes, there was a LiveWire setup on a dynometer for non-endorsed riders to get a feel for the bike, another one up on a display stand for those seeking up-close views of the assemblies, a case with bare frame enclosed and trick LCD highlighting the details and design, TV's showing various marketing promos, design and engineering process of the whole project, as well as other forward-thinking motorcycle gear like a heads-up display solution. It was great and didn't feel forced, just interesting and inviting. As much as I'm sure the Wisconsin mothership is worried about their investment, there was no tension or awkwardness to any of it and the staff was friendly and communicative the entire time.

To be continued...

DopefishLives

...continuation.

After walking around a bit, admiring the exceptional build quality apparent in the floor model, and watching a few squids rip on the throttle of the dyno bike, we were called for our ride. We were asked to watch a short video that not only reiterated the Project LiveWire goals but introduced us to the bike, controls and differences to expect compared to a traditional motorbike. Upon completion the instructor walked us to the bikes and ran us through the test-ride procedures and the various do's and dont's before we mounted.

Looking at the bike it appears compact with proportions similar to a 250cc sportbike, sitting on it confirms any such notions, this bike is svelt! The whole thing is narrow, the wheelbase is short, the tailsection shorter and the controls all well-spaced to be comfortable but still sporting. There was no key, at least not visible to us, although I'm sure they had some sort of passive RFID solution as it is a feature already available to some Harleys and Ducatis. Upon pressing the start button the bike roared to life, well not so-much as roared as hummed. A little fan spun up and the LCD display powered-on, presenting three large 1's (An homage to the brand's age), vital statistics regarding ECU, battery, and motor temps, battery charge state and one very-important decision to make: Performance mode or Range mode. One will net the full 74hp but only ~33miles of range while the other delivers around 55hp and a reasonable ~66 miles of range. Do you even have to ask which I chose? With that decision behind me a large 0 now dominates the screen indicating that I'm not presently going anywhere but that I am ready to. There is no clutch to worry about, no gears to engage, twisting the 'throttle' will engage motor and send me on my way, just like a golf cart, four beers in on the eight green.

The route was rather-boring but I did get the test the acceleration on more than one occasion. To put it plainly the bike rips, even if it isn't overall fast, it does well just about anywhere from 0 to 90 and feels like a rocket due to the on-set of torque. What is interesting is I expected the bevel drive to sound like a golf cart, but on the bike it sounds like a twin-rotor supercharger. The whine of accel is amazing and quick throttle changes initiate a tonal change that is every-bit as intoxicating as induction howl on my Triple. It isn't all that loud either, I rode without earplugs and never felt as though my ears may bleed. As any physicist will tell you, anything that accelerates must decelerate at some point, hopefully not with the aid of an immovable object. This bike employs traditional disc brakes but also benefits from regenerative braking. It was an odd sensation to get use to starting and stopping this way but once used to it, I realized that the traditional brakes weren't necessary in normal riding and I really enjoyed just how smooth it was. The chassis handled well, the weight being low in the chassis made it feel very flickable and closer to the of the 360lbs weight estimate I'd read about previously. If heavier than that, it never felt like it. The suspension was firm but not harsh, feeling best on smooth pavement but forgiving any manholes or potholes that found their way under the tires.

The ride came to a close far too soon. I was grinning from ear to ear afterward and after a quick look around, I saw the same on all of the other rider's faces. Skeptics, traditionalists, electric-abolitionists all be damned; this bike was incredibly fun and I want it. I've lusted after many a bikes based upon their design and styling but they often fall short in the feeling department. The Harley-Davidson LiveWire is the first motorcycle I've ridden in seven years of riding that has matched my Speed Triple for pure fun-factor. The compact position and 'low weight' feel puts it ahead of my cheeky but top-heavy litre bike. We stuck around and spoke to their engineer turned product developer for a good 45 minutes about how enthralled we were by this bike and our various thoughts positive or otherwise on the project. While the battery technology (range and cost) are HD's biggest concern to going production, I'm hopeful that they can overcome it and meet an accessible price point ($15,000). While more range would be welcomed I am happy with the figures they've currently met and only hope that further development doesn't compromise the stunning looks of this machine.

Harley, I hope you are listening; I want this bike!

Last edited by DopefishLives; 12-18-2014 at 12:19 AM..

DopefishLives

Sorry for the type-o's, wrote this on my Surface and didn't notice them until I read it with fresh eyes in the morning. Unfortunately GenMay doesn't allow editing after that amount of time. In reality, given the scale of this post it should probably exist in its own thread instead of adding bloat to this Sticky. :/

SkateorDie

do bicycles count?

dipshit.
royjr

Quote:
...continuation.

Harley, I hope you are listening; I want this bike!

That IS a very nice looking Harley. And I'm probably the last person that'll ever give them credit, aside from the original introduction of the V-Rod.

My only gripe about that bike there is all the black plastic covers all over it. Let's see some motor, dammit!

DopefishLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by royjr View Post
That IS a very nice looking Harley. And I'm probably the last person that'll ever give them credit, aside from the original introduction of the V-Rod.

My only gripe about that bike there is all the black plastic covers all over it. Let's see some motor, dammit!

I've never been inspired to own a Harley, but I could always appreciate the quality of their product despite the often archaic approach. The V-Rod served as a stark departure from the norm, co-developed with Porsche using current advances in chassis and engine design and most-critically it was styled looking forward, not backward in time. On paper it sounded like the product needed to get young buyers not typically interested in a cruiser (my demographic) into their dealerships. Unfortunately the reality was it only hit home a niche market in their demographic but outside the brand faithfuls. The youths were still looking at the Japanese for sporting bikes and the Europeans for anything more debonair. I admit that I've always felt the Sportster is a 'neat' bike, holding to the grounds of small, simple, and driven by styling/design; even to this day. Harley needs more of that and the Livewire project is a pure incarnation of that ideal -- Small, fun and stylish. They are trying with the new Street line of 500/750cc bikes but their looks are decidedly down-market of the rest of their other bikes.

The motor is at the very bottom of the chassis, that milled aluminum section; which made the bike feel even lighter than it already is. Seriously, it was the very-definition of tossable without ever feeling flighty. Behind the plastic panels are batteries, which aren't so pretty to look at. Additionally air is directed over the entire assembly to cool the ECU, batteries, and motor; the covers help assure that air is efficiently directed across the surface of the vital components. I can't imagine how they could improve the overall styling of this bike, it is perfection in my eyes. My only gripe was the LCD display which was difficult to read in Florida's high-noon sun, not to mention not very-well integrated into the cohesive design carried through the rest of the bike. It was still very functional, offering good information in a clear way that would suit average riders and the technically-minded alike.

Snakebyt

im still rocking my 05 R6

faa46d9573bfffd3be2a8a2eaa35811d [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.