General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ninjamcnuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severin
That made me waffle hard, for some reason.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

OddOne
LED Gawd <3 t33cael

Been watching H5N1 over on another board for about the last two years now. This one could very well BE that "big one" the medical world has been fearing for so long. All the hallmarks are there, and thre virus itself is doing exactly what immunologists are hoping it won't do.

The latest rounds of reported H5N1 cases are making WHO officials wonder if the virus has reached pandemic stage 5. (Stage 5 means that multiple clusters of cases are present. Essentially stage 5 menns that a virus has become epidemic in some areas. Stage 6, the last in the pandemic stage chart, means that entire regions/whole continents/all of Earth are infected.) Current concerns in insider boars/lists like ProMed are that H5N1 may have "figured out" how to do human-to-human transmission, but lacks only the virulence to spread quickly enough to outpace its own gestation period.

National Geographic's article (which I have - well worth the subscription) postulated that if H5N1 has the same motility and mortality rates as the Spanish Flu did in 1918-1919, and affected the same areas today as then, it would kill between 180 MILLION and 350 MILLION people. If it takes a best-case track, "only" about 7 million would die. H5N1 is, as near as immunologists can tell, more lethal at the current case count than Spanish Flu was when it was at a similar level of spread.

For all of man's advances and technology we are as a species only ever so slightly more prepared to fight off a superflu than we were back in 1918. We have better medicine but are less healthy, travel far more/farther/faster, and live/work/play in much more confined and illness-friendly places than was the case in the Spanish Flu's era. One city can infect another 2,000 miles away in less than a day now, where back in 1918 it took a week or more at best to travel the same distance. We will not fare well if H5N1 makes it to the big leagues.

Does this mean it's time to panic? No. It does, however, mean you'd better get your shit together in terms of health and self-sufficiency and definitely keep aware of the drama as it unfolds. With luck and/or whatever deity you may profess, H5N1 will be a non-event, but until it goes away and stays gone there's a chance it might be the big bad mofo of the virus world.

oO
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Wunderbar

JOHN TITOR NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THIS

curdledvomit

This from http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/he...oAkE9AXUrb76hg

Experts Unlock Clues to Spread of 1918 Flu Virus

Published: October 6, 2005
The 1918 influenza virus, the cause of one of history's most deadly epidemics, has been reconstructed and found to be a bird flu that jumped directly to humans, two teams of federal and university scientists announced yesterday.

It was the culmination of work that began a decade ago and involved fishing tiny fragments of the 1918 virus from snippets of lung tissue from two soldiers and an Alaskan woman who died in the 1918 pandemic. The soldiers' tissue had been saved in an Army pathology warehouse, and the woman had been buried in permanently frozen ground.

Also in todays news this from http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/

Mystery illness claims six more lives
Wednesday, October 5, 2005 Posted at 8:23 PM EDT

Canadian Press

Toronto — A deadly outbreak of a respiratory illness at a Toronto seniors' home has claimed six more lives, raising the death toll to 16, health officials said Wednesday.

6 more have died in Canada

00110001 00110011 01101011 and damn proud of it!

Squid posted..."curdledvomit is the first +10k guy i actually care about"

acc6d08c13aa2f2586ec5bf7b70854c3

ninjamcnuggets

Thanksgiving is in Kanata this weekend...

alpharuin
FlashOmega
Alguien Me Quiere <3

Don't worry he's on his way...

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdledvomit
This from http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/he...oAkE9AXUrb76hg

Experts Unlock Clues to Spread of 1918 Flu Virus

Published: October 6, 2005
The 1918 influenza virus, the cause of one of history's most deadly epidemics, has been reconstructed and found to be a bird flu that jumped directly to humans, two teams of federal and university scientists announced yesterday.

It was the culmination of work that began a decade ago and involved fishing tiny fragments of the 1918 virus from snippets of lung tissue from two soldiers and an Alaskan woman who died in the 1918 pandemic. The soldiers' tissue had been saved in an Army pathology warehouse, and the woman had been buried in permanently frozen ground.

Also in todays news this from http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/

Mystery illness claims six more lives
Wednesday, October 5, 2005 Posted at 8:23 PM EDT

Canadian Press

Toronto — A deadly outbreak of a respiratory illness at a Toronto seniors' home has claimed six more lives, raising the death toll to 16, health officials said Wednesday.

quoted for zombies

japroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderbar
JOHN TITOR NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THIS

See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaher
g is a fucking idiot

fake edit: Bush will use the military power from the avian flu breakout to declare martial law and a fascist state.. the citizenry will rebel, starting a civil war. The year is 2005..........................

JOHN TITOR WAS RIGHT!

De7|ro|i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdledvomit

"Health officials have also ruled out avian flu and influenza and are awaiting further lab results."

Source: Reuters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051005/...anada_virus_dc

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuntrag
See below.

JOHN TITOR WAS RIGHT!
Can it wait til spring? I don't wanna fight in the snow.

gg
Kato

Its amazing how people choose to bury their heads in the sand when presented with the very real threat of bird flu.
As soon as we sail on to Cane Garden Bay

The Jacket
buuurrrppp!!!

I still don't understand all of this. And it's not because I don't want to. There's just alot of reading to do in this thread.

All I know is that there's a flu of some sort in Canada that's spreading.
fa6dad9feadc0da6d5e5e71b2ba495cc
Adopted LittleRedStars on October 21st, 2005
Formerly The Jacket (The Coat)

De7|ro|i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coat
I still don't understand all of this. And it's not because I don't want to. There's just alot of reading to do in this thread.

All I know is that there's a flu of some sort in Canada that's spreading.

IT WAS RULED NOT BE THE THE FLU IN THE RETIREMENT HOME

IT WAS NOT THE FLU

japroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnza
Can it wait til spring? I don't wanna fight in the snow.

You can't change destiny!

Unless you somehow manage to go back in time, kill titor, and steal his identity. Then go online and make a bunch of bs stories about time travel, yet leave out the civil war prediction.

imsoocool
mushit

FUCK i live in ontario (oakville)

..how much time i got?

-Le Roi et L'oiseau