General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

winuser2000

Has anyone had mono without being tired?

Ok so my lymph nodes are fuckin huge, my throat is killing me, a few weeks ago I had influenza really bad with 103 fever, headaches once in a while. I'm not tired though. I went to an ENT (ear nose and throat doctor) yesterday and he said my lymph node problem could be caused by mono, HIV, or some other infection. I recently acquired a girlfriend who is pretty much my first real serious girlfriend. I got the flu like 3 weeks after meeting her (we kiss just about non stop when we are aroudn). The ENT gave me AUgmentin which is a powerful antibiotic and he said if my lymph nodes don't shrink after two weeks of use to make another appointment. I'm hoping I have mono but i'm not tired, I have just about every other symptom except fatigue. Is it possible I have mono?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:06 PM  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Coqui

It's possible, however if they took blood, they should have told you.

winuser2000

Well when I was at the doctor who referred me to an ENT I told him I had a blood test while I was in the emergency room for influenza (couldn't keep down fluids and was dehydrated). So he looked up the results of the blood test. I really need another test I guess.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:10 PM  

winuser2000

The blood test was like 3 weeks before I went to the doctor
Old 01-31-2006, 06:11 PM  

Coqui

Yeah you need another blood test if you're that concerned about it. Is your gf exhibiting any symptoms?

ephemerous

you could have strep throat

i had strep in late december. my doctor thought i had mono because i was showing all the right symptoms but he gave me a strep throat exam first because to confirm mono, you need a blood test and the q-tip fhing for your throat is much easier.

winuser2000

Yeah but it's possible to have mono and strep at the same time
Old 01-31-2006, 06:14 PM  

winuser2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by M|2 josegarcias
Yeah you need another blood test if you're that concerned about it. Is your gf exhibiting any symptoms?
No actually she is not at all. I had sex with her right before I got the flu, I also had sex with her 2 weekends ago and this past weekend and she has never been sick. She said she thought she had mono once but the doctors diagnosed as some other viral infection. Weird how we have so much sex and I get sick and she never gets sick. Another funny thing, before this christmas (right after I started seeing her) I haven't had a fever since I was in grade school, i'm in college now.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:18 PM  

Coqui

Based off of what you said, I'm gonna have to go with ephemerous and second strep throat. I'd definitely get it checked because it's extremely contagious.

winuser2000

What about these swollen lymph nodes? And what about getting the flu a few weeks ago. I just got this sore throat and have noticed swollen glands for weeks
Old 01-31-2006, 06:47 PM  

John Holmes
jaime21

I once had strept throat without a sore throat....the body does some strange things

They found it through a blood test cuz they thought I had mono. Strange world

ERL857

it sounds like strep, i get it once in a while where my throat will swell up it hurts like a bitch. get some amoxil(generic augmentin) should kill it. i had similar symptoms last year in march was down for aobut 2 weeks. it was horrible

Arjuna

Nearly any infection can cause swollen lymph nodes. Many things can cause pharyngitis. The doc should have performed a rapid strep test; augmentin is effective against strep so if that's the cause it should go away fairly quickly.

Yes, it could be mono. Mono hits people differently (the vast majority never experience even the slightest symptom).

winuser2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjuna
Nearly any infection can cause swollen lymph nodes. Many things can cause pharyngitis. The doc should have performed a rapid strep test; augmentin is effective against strep so if that's the cause it should go away fairly quickly.

Yes, it could be mono. Mono hits people differently (the vast majority never experience even the slightest symptom).
I originally went to the doctor just for my swollen lymph nodes then went to the ENT. I didn't start having the sore throat till last night (night after I saw the ENT)
Old 01-31-2006, 07:04 PM  

sweetie
ARBYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes
I once had strept throat without a sore throat....the body does some strange things

They found it through a blood test cuz they thought I had mono. Strange world

i had strep thoat and took the pills and everything and they thought it was gone...lo and behold 5-6 months later i still didn't have any symptoms but it still showed up in the blood tests...oh and that's what they think triggered my rhumatoid arthritis...isn't that just great...one small thing led to something i can't get rid of for the rest of my life

as for having mono and not being tired...it happened to my brother, they only found the mono because his spleen enlarged so much that he had terrible side pain (and couldn't do anything til it went away...as busting a spleen can be a problem)