General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Ceejamon's Enchilada Casserole

My wife and I have a Monday Night Tradition: Mexican Mondays. We usually go to this local Mexican place where they have a 2 for 1 enchilada special. One of essentially eats for free, which means drinking a few mararitas to balance things out. Well, they were closed this week for reasons unknown, so she had to settle for my homemade lasagna. I promised her that I'd do my best to get her a Mexican fix this week, and this is what I whipped up last night. The prep work is a little messy, but it's a pretty easy dish overall.

You'll need:
1 small onion, or half a large one
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
dried cumin
1 10oz package of frozen spinach, thawed
1 store-bought rotisserie chicken
4 oz cream cheese
about 1 cup salsa
1/4 cup heavy cream (not pictured, opps)
corn tortillas
Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning (or Lowry's if you're a heathen)
Plenty of shredded cheese. Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Mexican 4 Cheese. Whatever you like.
sour cream & green onions are optional garnish

A drink is always a must when I'm cooking. In the background you'll see my homemade blackberry liqueur mixed with a little OJ. That's another thread altogether, though.

Anyways, on with the prep work. First of all, cut up that onion.

Next, roll up your sleeves and get the meat off the bones. Leave out the skin, though. This pre-cooked bird was $3.50 at my grocery store. It's a cheap way to do stuff like this, and saves a good bit of time.

Open up the thawed spinach and squeeze all the water out of it. There will probably be a lot of it. This batch of spinach got its volume cut in half after I was done with it.

Next, heat up a large pan and hit it with olive oil. Also, go ahead and preheat the oven to 350. Sautee the onion for about 2 minutes.

Then, add the minced garlic and sprinkle on some cumin. Sautee for another minute or so.

Now, add in the salsa and give it a stir.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Next, turn the heat to low and add in the spinach.

Now, if you don't have a lovely assistant, you'll want to shred or chop up the chicken right after taking it off the bone. Fortunately for me, my assistant is quite lovely and plenty skilled with sharp pointy things. She took care of it while I was messing with the spinach.

Anyways, back to pan... add the cream cheese. Mix it in until it's mostly melted.

Stir in the heavy cream.

Shake on plenty of cajun seasoning.

Grease your baking dish with butter, and cover the bottom with corn tortillas. Since tortillas are round and you baking dish probably isn't, you'll need to tear them and layer them a bit to cover the bottom.

Spread on your chicken & spinach mixture.

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Top with another layer of tortillas.

Cover with cheese to your liking, cover with foil, and bake. The amount of time depends mostly on the thickness of the tortillas you used. I did this for 18 minutes, then I uncovered it, killed the fire, and let it sit in the hot oven for another 5.

If you cut it into strips instead of squares, it looks more like a normal enchilada. Top will sour cream & green onions if you want. Pair it with a cerveza or a margarita and enjoy.

Ceejamon's Recipes:

Ceeejamon's Chevre Filled Chicken Breasts w/ Mushrooms and a Basil Lemon Butter Sauce
Ceejamon's Turkey Burgers AKA The Thread that Nobody Noticed
Ceejamon's Lasagna of DOOM
Ceejamon's Super Simple Tomato Sauce
Ceejamon's Enchilada Casserole
Ceejamon's Pasta w/ Creamy Salmon Sauce
Ceejamon's White Chocolate & Caramel Cheesecake
Ceejamon's Parmesan Pork Chops and Risotto
Ceejamon's Easy Creme Brulee
4 Cheese Baked Macaroni (no pics, but maahes made it and posted some)

Last edited by ceejamon; 03-15-2007 at 09:23 PM..

beavens

looks money C - your threads are always top notch.

is there a substitute for the heavy cream?

-GOB

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavens
looks money C - your threads are always top notch.

is there a substitute for the heavy cream?

You could use milk or more salsa.

beavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon
You could use milk or more salsa.

-GOB

darkninja67
I love everything about Boston, including the 2 time World Champion Patriots, The World Champion Red

Looks delicious. You ever think about opening a restaurant or something?

buttMuNcher
pwned

so what was the lo-down on the taste?

looks great as usual CJ!

[M]ountain Dew

All your threads make me moist.

hhookk
I'm going to cry like TO when the Giants beat NE in the superbowl

Another winner. Looks delicious.
I need to make another thread soon too.

Skywing

Oh man Ive gotta make this

Huipe

Holy crap, that looks good! Spinach and cream cheese in a Mexican dish? I wouldn't have thought of a combination like this. And I'll definitely look into rotisserie chickens. $3.50 seems like a bargain, think my local store charges a lot more.

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttMuNcher
so what was the lo-down on the taste?

Fantastic. My wife went back for a 3rd helping, leaving no room for desert. I ask you: what kind of woman turns down chocolate ice cream for an extra helping of casserole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huipe
Holy crap, that looks good! Spinach and cream cheese in a Mexican dish? I wouldn't have thought of a combination like this. And I'll definitely look into rotisserie chickens. $3.50 seems like a bargain, think my local store charges a lot more.

Yeah, it's really a combination of ideas I picked up here & there. A local Tex-Mex place has a chicken & spinach quesadilla that's pretty good. My aunt makes chicken & cream cheese enchiladas that aren't bad. The cream cheese makes for a very good texture, but her's are lacking in flavor. This, however, was quite good.

And yes, those cheap rotisserie chickens from your local grocery store are often a steal, but it depends on the store. Nicer stores are going to have much better quality chickens, but you'll pay for it. I'm not going for any kind of added flavor by using the precooked chicken, so the cheap stuff is fine. It's just a time saver for me.

buttMuNcher
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon
I ask you: what kind of woman turns down chocolate ice cream for an extra helping of casserole?

that is the ultimate proof positive of a great meal..nice job CJ!

Susquehannock
Mule Train

Mexican food ..... or is it Creole? Blah! ..... who cares long as it's tasty!

Anything with cumin is OK in my book. Which reminds me ... you ever cook with whole
cumin seed ceejamon?