General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

w00t1337
Sanjay's love child

URGENT!** How much PAG oil goes into an A/C Compressor?

CLIFFS:
  • 91' Camry
  • Brand New R134A compressor
  • Has sticker that says "Note: ADD PAG OIL"
  • I have an 8oz bottle of UV Dyed PAG Oil
  • How much do I put into the A/C Compressor?
Hi all,

I've been driving around a '91 camry for the last few months after I wrecked my 05 scion TC. In the mean time, I've been recovering from the wreck, car shopping, and getting the insurance claim/medical bills taken care of with the TC. Now, the '91 camry I've always had, but about 2 years ago the AC went out. PAG oil was everywhere. It is hot as hell this summer, and I am riding in my once back-up car, and decided that I really need AC.

I bought this compressor kit off of ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-A...QQcmdZViewItem

At this point in the middle of the night, I have the drier/filter installed, and I have the old compressor out of the car. The new one is ready to install once I hear back on how much PAG oil I should put in.

I noticed that this auction states that the compressor is FILLED UP with the PAG oil. Am I just supposed to fill the compressor to the brim?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-T...07689518QQrdZ1

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated. Much internet love.

Thank you!
STRAIGHT UP 39TH STREET NIGGAH ALWAYS BALLIN ALWAYS HUSTLIN' 394L NEVER FRONTIN NEVER HATIN #18

Formerly: w00t1337, Sanjito, Sandwich Man

aussiehax is my hero

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

liquidkristal

ok, take the new compressor and a measuring jug, pop off both the plugs, hold the compressor over the jug, 1 of 3 things will happen now.

1) lots of oil will come out
2) a dribble will come out
3) nothing will come out.

if 1 happens record where it comes upto on the jug then put it back into the compressor and put the plugs bck in, if 2 or 3 happen, treat the compressor as unfilled and put the plugs back in.

if you are planning on charging the system yourself, you will need to find out how much PAG oil your system needs, and get the mixtures right, if you are planning on having someone else charge the system for you, then the jug comes back into play as that will tell them how much oil is in the car already if there is any.

hope that all makes sense (its the procedure that I followed when I was fixing my car afer I over PAG'ed my car and destroyed the compressor..)

"I have to ask you a question."
"What is it?"
"Its an inquisitive statement used to test knowledge, but thats not important right now.

w00t1337
Sanjay's love child

Awesome information! So I am just going to put the same amount of PAG oil in that is already in the old compressor. Also, I should make note of the actual amount of PAG oil.

THANK YOU!
STRAIGHT UP 39TH STREET NIGGAH ALWAYS BALLIN ALWAYS HUSTLIN' 394L NEVER FRONTIN NEVER HATIN #18

aussiehax is my hero

Thermo1223

That amount may not be enough if any leaked out over the years.

Just ask the shop, if they are going to vac it down and charge it anyway the least they could do is help you out on the oil amount for the compressor.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

gu4rdr41L

Quote:
Originally Posted by I smell like manass
Awesome information! So I am just going to put the same amount of PAG oil in that is already in the old compressor. Also, I should make note of the actual amount of PAG oil.

THANK YOU!

not a good plan, the oil may not have accumulated in the compressor, and if the system has completely evacuated, you'll probably have very little oil in it. Look for the AC sticker in your engine compartment, usually it will say how many ounces of oil and freon to put in. If not, do some googling. The minimum would be about 4 oz., If you don't put enough you can kiss that brand new compressor goodbye. Don't forget to vacuum the system down before putting oil, or freon in it.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu4rdr41L
not a good plan, the oil may not have accumulated in the compressor, and if the system has completely evacuated, you'll probably have very little oil in it. Look for the AC sticker in your engine compartment, usually it will say how many ounces of oil and freon to put in. If not, do some googling. The minimum would be about 4 oz., If you don't put enough you can kiss that brand new compressor goodbye. Don't forget to vacuum the system down before putting oil, or freon in it.

Thank you, I was racking my brain thinking isn't there I sticker? I know there is a sticker! THERE MUST BE A STICKER!11

w00t1337
Sanjay's love child

What happens if it wasn't vacuumed?

aussiehax is my hero

IM A FAGGOT AND I <3 COCKS IN MY ASS
thewhiteguy

Wasn't there some other guy that recently wrecked his 05 TC?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:45 PM IM A FAGGOT AND I <3 COCKS IN MY ASS is offline  

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by I smell like manass
What happens if it wasn't vacuumed?

Then what your doing is pointless and you will need a new compressor soon....again.

Perc
New and shiny title

Recharging an AC is something a shop should do, IMO. It's not necessarily cheap, but it's a good investment if you want to hold off costly AC repairs as long as possible

An A/C service machine empties the system, creates a vacuum for half an hour to check for leaks and fills it back up with the correct amount of fresh refrigerant and oil. The system is sealed during the entire process. A service like this should be done every other year or so.

The last thing you want is air and/or moist in the circuit. For starters, the dryer filter can only remove a certain amount of moist from the refrigerant before it needs to be replaced. Moist is also bad for the compressor and its seals.

Last edited by Perc; 07-13-2006 at 02:03 PM..

thewhiteguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perc
A service like this should be done every other year or so.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:53 PM IM A FAGGOT AND I <3 COCKS IN MY ASS is offline  

gu4rdr41L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perc
A service like this should be done every other year or so.

The last thing you want is air and/or moist in the circuit. For starters, the dryer filter can only remove a certain amount of moist from the refrigerant before it needs to be replaced. Moist is also bad for the compressor and its seals.

if you've got the right tools, then by all means do on your own, that's what I do. Why would a service need to be done every other year or so? If the shits not leakin, nothing can get in or out, it's not like moisURE is magically going to appear in a sealed system.

w00t1337
Sanjay's love child

6 different quotes from the yellow page listing to vacuum and recharge the AC with 134a. They all range from $130-$180

This shit sucks.

Anyone have any reccomendations on where to go to get this thing vacuumed and charged? or is that the price I am going to find anywhere.

aussiehax is my hero

tmoney1876

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu4rdr41L
if you've got the right tools, then by all means do on your own, that's what I do. Why would a service need to be done every other year or so? If the shits not leakin, nothing can get in or out, it's not like moisURE is magically going to appear in a sealed system.

The system isn't sealed, the rubber lines let refrigerant out and moisture in.

every 2-3 years you should replace the accumulator... might as well check it for leaks while you are at it.

Wow, $130 sounds high,... my dad does it for $70 (with up to a pound of refrigerant.) They shouldn't be charging you nearly that much, expecially if they have an automated machine. A trained monkey could leak test and fill a car with an automated recycler.

thewhiteguy

If one were to actually service their A/C as often as you recommend they would end up spending much, much, much more money than if they just waited for it to break and replace the whole fscking thing. I'd hate to see how much money you spend on unnecessary work on your car.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:45 PM IM A FAGGOT AND I <3 COCKS IN MY ASS is offline