General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Megamanx
Canadian Army..Wait...They have an army? <3

I've played EVE, i liked it. I MIGHT go back.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

wilse

looking forward to warhammer online big time

zeos

ultima online 4 eva

or maybe world of pirates

dotdotdot

Conan and Warhammer.

Curt Schilling started an mmo company recently too. He's got a huge budget and has RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane on his team. He posts updates and stuff on FoH. He's got full control, so he won't be rushed or anything. Since he's a hardcore mmo fan, I'm expecting it to be a great game. Probably won't be out for a decade though.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorp...schilling.html

He posts under Ngruk

Last edited by dotdotdot; 11-19-2006 at 07:50 PM..

las Vegas
I miss Ronny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeos View Post
ultima online 4

qft my friend

nothing can fill the void the UO left

lonedawg
Stiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
Conan and Warhammer.

Curt Schilling started an mmo company recently too. He's got a huge budget and has RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane on his team. He posts updates and stuff on FoH. He's got full control, so he won't be rushed or anything. Since he's a hardcore mmo fan, I'm expecting it to be a great game. Probably won't be out for a decade though.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorp...schilling.html

He posts under Ngruk

Reading over Curt's posts, when I heard the announcement of his team with RA/Mcfarlane I couldn't be happier, but reading the posts there it seems he's another fan of EQ/EQ2 type of games, which to be frank, are tried and just plain old now.

EQ was fun at first, because it was one of the first 3d mmo's and it set up the whole trend in that likewise. However UO (IMO) was the mmo that paved the way you could design an mmo and escape the pitfalls that EQ created (Forced grouping via the "trinity", IE tank/healer/dd, class based trend, boring lv based combat with extreme item dependency.

Yet every bleeding bloody mmo it seems just picks up the same busted "EQ" like formula and merely changes a few small, hardly noticeable things, then runs with it like it's something "new and exciting" yet it feels like simply the same old game with a new skin wrapped around it.

I'm looking for an mmo that doesn't simply change things around, but fucking CRUSHES the whole "Formula" of mmo's.

The trinity? Who fucking needs em.
Item dependency? Fuck item dependency, player skill>
Boring ass auto-combat? Fuck that, real time, swing the sword and knock your fucking enemies head clean off.

Exaotus
I own a copy of brokeback mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonedawg View Post

Player skill means less subscribers.. sounds like shit but its true. I've seen so many fucking terrible players in World of Warcraft and anything you do in that game is so fucking easy.

I'd expect to see games like WoW in the future.

lonedawg
Stiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaotus View Post
Player skill means less subscribers.. sounds like shit but its true. I've seen so many fucking terrible players in World of Warcraft and anything you do in that game is so fucking easy.

I'd expect to see games like WoW in the future.

I seriously doubt that, I mean look at all the games that aren't mmo's.....Counter strike, etc and the like that depend on player skill and not lv's or such. I think if you made an mmo that put the focus more on the player skill (not saying that there shouldn't be character skills that attribute to various things, but the end all be all of it is mainly player skill>character skill>items).

Like Mount and Blade for example, it's an rpg (www.taleworlds.com) however the combat is fully player controlled and damn fun, I personally think that in an mmo people would love that because lets face it, player skill = fun to a lot of people (instead of boring ass auto-attack). That's one of the main reasons I've fell off the mmo bandwagon, it's just.....boring to me to play them now, sitting there watching my guy bonk little woodland creatures over the head AND I pay money for it? IT feels more like "work" to me then "fun/entertainment."

Malakai

If you have the patience to learn it, Eve is by and far the best MMO out right now or in the near future. It's the only game where what you do really matters. The problem almost every other mmo has, especially with pvp, is that it's pointless in the end. OOh I got some more points, which means squat in the long run! The person you just killed respawns in 2 minutes and repairs their stuff and it's like it never happened.
When you kill someone in eve, you've cost them a ship and all it's fittings, and possibly a clone, and maybe some implants or some skillpoints if their clone isn't updated. You can find where he hangs out most and kill them over and over till they have nothing left. If you don't like another group of players (corp, alliance), you can crush them into oblivion, take their space and send them packing back to empire.
Can't do this in any other game like you can in eve, or any upcoming games I've ever heard of.

dotdotdot

Quote:
Reading over Curt's posts, when I heard the announcement of his team with RA/Mcfarlane I couldn't be happier, but reading the posts there it seems he's another fan of EQ/EQ2 type of games, which to be frank, are tried and just plain old now.

EQ was fun at first, because it was one of the first 3d mmo's and it set up the whole trend in that likewise. However UO (IMO) was the mmo that paved the way you could design an mmo and escape the pitfalls that EQ created (Forced grouping via the "trinity", IE tank/healer/dd, class based trend, boring lv based combat with extreme item dependency.

Yet every bleeding bloody mmo it seems just picks up the same busted "EQ" like formula and merely changes a few small, hardly noticeable things, then runs with it like it's something "new and exciting" yet it feels like simply the same old game with a new skin wrapped around it.

I'm looking for an mmo that doesn't simply change things around, but fucking CRUSHES the whole "Formula" of mmo's.

Boring ass auto-combat? Fuck that, real time, swing the sword and knock your fucking enemies head clean off.

I agree, I'm kind of getting sick of those games too. There's still years before any release, so anything could change. I can't remember what he said, and I don't feel like reading all those pages again, but I'm pretty sure people brought up the issue that every mmo is the same, and that they hope it's not going to be an eq-clone.

Inf
I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.

Quote:

There are games that are being developed and are trying to break away from the classic formula. But the truth is, it does lose player subscriptions since you take away one of the main aspects of an MMO. An MMO player likes to advance and know that if he puts the time into the game, he'll get somewhere good. It'll seem like someone who's innately better at the game is a cheater.

The ideal formula would be where you have both systems coexisting in a kind of equilibrium. However that's one of the thoughest nuts to crack in the whole game business.
koala coalition ftw!!!

Megamanx
Canadian Army..Wait...They have an army? <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
If you have the patience to learn it, Eve is by and far the best MMO out right now or in the near future. It's the only game where what you do really matters. The problem almost every other mmo has, especially with pvp, is that it's pointless in the end. OOh I got some more points, which means squat in the long run! The person you just killed respawns in 2 minutes and repairs their stuff and it's like it never happened.
When you kill someone in eve, you've cost them a ship and all it's fittings, and possibly a clone, and maybe some implants or some skillpoints if their clone isn't updated. You can find where he hangs out most and kill them over and over till they have nothing left. If you don't like another group of players (corp, alliance), you can crush them into oblivion, take their space and send them packing back to empire.
Can't do this in any other game like you can in eve, or any upcoming games I've ever heard of.
I loved EVE too. The only thing I didnt really like was that I had to wait like a fucking month to get a new ship. I trained all my stats and stuff and it got rediculous to where it was like 3 months for some skills so I was like fuck that im not waiting 3 months to advance.

Oh BTW, I was a pirate. I owned all the carebears. I loved it.... lol ransom FTW.

Last edited by Megamanx; 11-22-2006 at 10:32 PM..

lonedawg
Stiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bator View Post
There are games that are being developed and are trying to break away from the classic formula. But the truth is, it does lose player subscriptions since you take away one of the main aspects of an MMO. An MMO player likes to advance and know that if he puts the time into the game, he'll get somewhere good. It'll seem like someone who's innately better at the game is a cheater.

The ideal formula would be where you have both systems coexisting in a kind of equilibrium. However that's one of the thoughest nuts to crack in the whole game business.

www.taleworlds.com does it just fine in my opinon. It has rpg elements that pretty much any rpg player will know/understand, however the combat is fully under the player control and even at low lv's you can overcome many enemies with better armour/weapons or such then you have.

Spetsdod

Open PVP models are fun for half the players, and the death of an MMO for the other half.

eidolon

EVE for the win!