General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Ceejamon's Chevre Filled Chicken Breasts w/ Mushrooms and a Basil Lemon Butter Sauce

Damn, even the title is a mouthful.

Well, it's certainly been a while, hasn't it? Welcome to my new house and my newly remodeled kitchen! It's finally finished, so I can get back to making food threads. Expect several in the coming weeks.

This dish was inspired by a dish at one of my favorite restaurants: Carrabba's Italian Grill. I realize that not all instances of this chain are great, but the one in my city is absolutely divine. My wife and I meet friends there most every Friday night. I typically get either the Chicken Bryan or the Pollo Rosa Maria, and they carry a Wente Syrah that's not bad at all. After having the Chicken Bryan, which is grilled chicken topped with goat's cheese and a lemon butter sauce, I thought to myself, "I can do this... and I can do it better!"

Thus began my experimentation with the following recipe, which I now deem to be finished:

Ingredients
3 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 5oz log of goat cheese (chevre is what I use)
handful of chives or scallions, minced
1 large egg, or 2 yolks
breadcrumbs
~6 large basil leaves - 2 minced, the rest slivered
salt & pepper
butter for sautéing, plus 2/3 cup cold sliced butter
1/2 cup white wine (a dry marsala would work if you're feeling frisky)
handful of sundried tomatoes, julienne sliced
1/3 of a yellow onion, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
juice of 1 lemon
1 pound of mushrooms, sliced
butcher's twine, optional

Start off by letting the goat cheese warm up a bit. If it's closer to room temperature, it'll be easier to work with. Toss it in a bowl with the minced chives/scallions, the 2 minced basil leaves, and some S&P. Mash it all together with a fork until it's smooth...ish. It won't get super-smooth, so just do the best you can. I put lemon zest in there which you might notice in later pictures, but it was a bit too much so I don't recommend it.

Next, pound the chicken breasts flat between sheets of wax paper until they're about 1/4 inch thick. Thinner isn't a bad thing, if you can do it without them tearing. Use whatever you're comfortable with. I personally don't own a mallet, so I just beat them with the heel of my hand. It's kinda therapeutic after a hard day. It's also good to know that I can beat a chicken to a pulp if the need ever arises. No pics of this because my hands were covered in death and salmonella.

Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. One at a time, coat the "bottom" of the chicken breast (the uglier side) with 1/3 of the cheese mixture.

Now comes the tricky part. Roll up the chicken breast as tightly as you can. The method depends on the shape of your deformed beaten breast, but try to make it look uniform. Fold in odd edges, etc. It helps if the last inch of so doesn't have goat cheese on it so the chicken sticks to itself and stays rolled.

It should look something like that. Repeat with the other breasts.

Next, beat the egg in a bowl or on a plate until smooth. Coat the chicken rolls with egg, then coat in bread crumbs. I trust you recall how to do this from my Parmesan Pork Chops thread, which I desperately need to update since I've got a much better recipe for both the chops and the risotto.

If you're not confident in you're rolling abilities, you can tie them at this point with the butchers twine. Also, you can do everything up to this point ahead of time by a few hours and let them chill in the fridge. When you're ready, bake them in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, and they should be perfect.

While they bake, however, you're going to be making a sauce. Start by sautéing the onions and garlic in butter until tender, which should only take 2 minutes or so.

You see that my definition of "minced" varies on my degree of laziness. After those are tender, deglaze with the wine. Next add in the mushrooms, lemon juice, and SD tomatoes.

Cook until the mushrooms are cooked through, and the liquid should have reduced or been absorbed by about half. At this point, reduce the heat to low, add in the remaining basil, and stir in the slices of butter, one piece at a time.

Incorporate all of the butter one slice at a time, which will take a few minutes. Add about 1/2 tsp of both salt & pepper (to taste, of course). It should work out that your chicken breasts should be about done.

I seem to have forgotten to take a pic of the sauce when it was finished. I'm getting rusty.

Plate the breasts, top with the mushrooms and sauce, and serve with whatever sides you like. We went with fettuccine alfredo (because this meal wasn't unhealthy enough) and salad.

Fin.

Ceejamon's Recipes:

Ceeejamon's Chevre Filled Chicken Breasts w/ Mushrooms and a Basil Lemon Butter Sauce
Ceejamon's Turkey Burgers AKA The Thread that Nobody Noticed
Ceejamon's Lasagna of DOOM
Ceejamon's Super Simple Tomato Sauce
Ceejamon's Enchilada Casserole
Ceejamon's Pasta w/ Creamy Salmon Sauce
Ceejamon's White Chocolate & Caramel Cheesecake
Ceejamon's Parmesan Pork Chops and Risotto
Ceejamon's Easy Creme Brulee
4 Cheese Baked Macaroni (no pics, but maahes made it and posted some)

Last edited by ceejamon; 03-15-2007 at 08:25 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

jarhed13
I own faces - <3 Toad

Nicely done man. I love seeing new recipes that I can add to my mental-cookbook

joshiee

Your threads make me hungry then they make me run to the supermarket.

auction1

Looks delicious as always Ceej.

ChibiVader

oooh.... that looks good. I'm going to have to try that over the break.

Hamma Kavula

yumm

diearzte2

If my brother hadnt stole my digital camera I would contribute too. Thanks alot for providing actual content in this forum

odecom5
I have to dress my dick up like celery so my lesbian butch of a gf will suck it.

looks like another excellent meal, thanks! i'll definitely try it out
STRAIGHT UP 39TH STREET NIGGAH ALWAYS BALLIN ALWAYS HUSTLIN' 394L NEVER FRONTIN NEVER HATIN #37

How fast does a zebra have to go before it looks gray?

jigz23

Yea I def do suggest that people chill the chicken after rolling if they're afraid of it falling apart.

rich4rdee

i absolutely love carrabba's chicken pollo rosa maria...

ihsviks

Just made a varied recipe from this. Used peperjack cheese instead of the chevre, but its moy delicioso.
Side dish of Sour Creamy Longhair Pasta.
Thanks Ceej!

[!]WildBlue

Your threads, as always, rule.

bumpirate

Great stuff CJ..good to have you back

Now keep 'em coming please!

darkninja67
I love everything about Boston, including the 2 time World Champion Patriots, The World Champion Red

Looks great. Got to try it with the girlfriend.

Still waiting for the cookbook and pics of new kitchen please.

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post
Looks great. Got to try it with the girlfriend.

Still waiting for the cookbook and pics of new kitchen please.

The cookbook isn't going to happen, at least not any time soon. Instead, a friend of mine and I are working on a cooking blog. (He's the master, I'm the padawan. You'll love his stuff.) We have a large stockpile of recipes, articles, and videos written up and ready to post, but the site's launch has been delayed because his job just transferred him to North Carolina on short notice. I'm going to visit him for New Years and we're hoping to get everything ironed out. Probably looking to launch in Early February. Hopefully.

As for the kitchen, this is it for now. It's not done, but it's much nicer than it was. We've been working on remodeling the outside of the house lately, and I just finished building a deck yesterday. When finances allow, we're going to redo the kitchen. That will be a thread in and of itself.