General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

VxonFlibby

Bolt action firing mechanism

Alright I need some information on bolt-action rifles and you are the first people I thought of!

So the detail i'm interested in, is the c0ckng of the firing pin.

Let's say the pin has just struck the cartridge, when the bolt is pulled back, is the firing pin held by the trigger mechanism then, and the spring tighting during this process, or is the 'c0cking' of the firing pin done when pushing the bolt back into the position when the next round is being chambered?

If anyone has any pictures, or preferably animated information on this I would be most grateful because google has let me down...

I know you will not

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

sir tex

c0cking? what's wrong with saying cock?

Digital_Samurai

When you pull the bolt back on most rifles it cocks the firing pin into position.

Drunken Photon Torpedo #3 of the USS EXCELSIOR

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
c0cking? what's wrong with saying cock?

I think he was joking

that being said:

http://www.hunter-ed.com/sc/course/ch2_actions_bolt.htm one animation, looking for better ones

VxonFlibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
I think he was joking

that being said:

http://www.hunter-ed.com/sc/course/ch2_actions_bolt.htm one animation, looking for better ones

I forgot it was Genmay and I didn't have to censor cock sorry!

Thanks for the anim mate, if anyone has any other things similar it would be extremely useful, thanks

tmoney1876

It happens when you close the bolt.

edit: That is the reason for the cammed portion of the motion. The last little bit where the bolt rotates moves forward slightly is where the cocking happens.

Defiler

Different Bolt designs cock on different parts of the action. A mosin bolt cocks upon lifting the bolt handle. A mauser action cocks on opening of the bolt. An Enfield's action cocks upon closing the bolt. Generally, there is a spring/firing pin assembly, and a sear that is controlled by the trigger. When the spring is compressed, their is usually something to catch the sear, holding the firing pin in place. When the trigger is pulled, the sear releases, letting the firing pin come forward. The animation above is an example of a "cock on close" gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney1876 View Post
It happens when you close the bolt.

edit: That is the reason for the cammed portion of the motion. The last little bit where the bolt rotates moves forward slightly is where the cocking happens.
while some actions do cock on closing, (like an Enfield), that last little bit of forward movement you see when you close the bolt, (push the bolt handle down), is the face of the bolt, sealing the round into the chamber, elminating any chance of escaping gas to cause harm, or negating the performance of the round being fired.

Last edited by Defiler; 06-11-2007 at 09:22 PM..

VxonFlibby

So when the bolt is cocked by the rear-ward movement of the bolt, as in the mauser case, am I right in thinking that there is something towards the back of the spring is held, while the firing pin is drawn back and compressed against the spring until locked by the sear?

Thanks for all this

Defiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxonFlibby View Post
So when the bolt is cocked by the rear-ward movement of the bolt, as in the mauser case, am I right in thinking that there is something towards the back of the spring is held, while the firing pin is drawn back and compressed against the spring until locked by the sear?

Thanks for all this

I gueass I was a little wrong about the mauser's, they cock on open, on the up-ward rotation of the bolt. But, essentially, when the bolt is rotated, the spring and pin are pushed rearward until it locks with the sear.