General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

nubsauce

What does "metric driven environment" mean?

hey all,

was curious if anyone here could save me, and explain to me what "metric driven environment" means? i applied for a telebanking position at a bank and for the interview it says to prepare to explain:"- Your ability to work in a metrics driven environment "

i'm totally lost on this one, for all i know it could mean something really basic but i just wanted to play it safe and figured i'd ask here

thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Slacker

Well it probably means you'll be measured on a lot of things. For instance one metric might be how long does it take to answer a call, or how long does it take to solve a customer's problems. Metrics are just a fancy way of saying measurements.

So it could be rather benign or they could be measuring every little thing you do.

goatrape

Or maybe it just means working in metric measurements, eg. kg, km, l..

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrape View Post
Or maybe it just means working in metric measurements, eg. kg, km, l..

maybe, but probably not.

In most call center environments, metrics refer to "goals" you must meet. For instance, you must make 15 balance transfers per month. Another one is Average Handle Time, basically make sure you have your handle time at or below the "metric" or "goal".

If you get such job, you will probably hear everyone complaining that they are not making their metrics. Often jobs push nearly impossible metrics to increase profits. For instance they want you to have an average call time of below 3 minutes but have a customer satisfaction rating of above 95%. How the hell can you provide good customer service while trying to rush the customer off the phone as quick as possible? Sure its possible, but not likely.

Have fun.

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0tiK View Post
maybe, but probably not.

In most call center environments, metrics refer to "goals" you must meet. For instance, you must make 15 balance transfers per month. Another one is Average Handle Time, basically make sure you have your handle time at or below the "metric" or "goal".

If you get such job, you will probably hear everyone complaining that they are not making their metrics. Often jobs push nearly impossible metrics to increase profits. For instance they want you to have an average call time of below 3 minutes but have a customer satisfaction rating of above 95%. How the hell can you provide good customer service while trying to rush the customer off the phone as quick as possible? Sure its possible, but not likely.

Have fun.

Jesus christ I would hate a job like that. Thankfully in my industry you can't even try to do that. It has to be done right or it's useless.

Passion > Precision

Comatose51

Metric driven environment is marketing speak for bureaucracy and micro-management out the ass. How do you think they're going to get these "metrics"? Lots and lots of BS forms and paper work and micromanagement. And what do you think they will do with the measurements? Micromanage you to death. Any sort of environment where they have to employ "metrics" means they're going to treat you like a cog in a machine, a replaceable part. I mean where else do you hear that kind of term used? In a factory of course. Welcome to white collar salt mining.

If you have a choice, don't take the job. If not, take it and use it as a stepping stone.

Cads

Metric-driven environment, in relation to a call centre, just refers to the many quotas, regulations, and figures that call centre managers have to compute and go over all day in respect to how efficient the agents (you schmuchs) are doing.

Since everything is done over the phone, everything is measured. Time per call, calls in queue, wait time for the call that's been in the queue the longest, errors per individual agent, talk time (avg time per call in minutes), etc. In addition all calls in a reputable call centre are usually passed through a quality control process where some poor fool has to listen to hundreds of calls and rate the agent on each call against a set of criteria.

This is the business of call centres. So basically they are asking you "are you okay with conducting your customer service calls according to a set of pre-defined criteria, and receiving and using advice and coaching from managers as to how to improve your level of customer serivce".

Fuck I'm from Montreal, call centre capital of the seventh level of hell, so I know this shits, mang.

Last edited by Cads; 07-13-2007 at 09:48 PM..

nubsauce

thanks for all the replies!

i did the interview and it asked exactly that so i guess i was fairly prepared

i heard lots about call center jobs, its jus something to hopefully tie me over for the next lil while thats all, and the pay is supposedly pretty good cuz of the high turn over rate lol

thanks again!!